Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattXDA

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 18, 2014
UK
I've noticed that it seems no one on the forum likes the gold iPhone 6/6+ and I just wondered why, when it was so popular last year. I've actually bought the gold 6+ and all the hate is making me doubt my decision :D I understand that black is very nice but gold doesn't look ugly to me!

theMaccer

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2006
SoCal
I've noticed that it seems no one on the forum likes the gold iPhone 6/6+ and I just wondered why, when it was so popular last year. I've actually bought the gold 6+ and all the hate is making me doubt my decision :D I understand that black is very nice but gold doesn't look ugly to me!

as long as you like it, its all that matters

G-Ziss

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2014
I love the gold. In fact, it's the only one of the 3 colors that I like at all.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I like the gold a lot. And I like the white bands on it as well. They blend the back and the front really well because it is the same color as the screen. For me gold and silver are the best looking ones.

Lloydbm41

Suspended
Oct 17, 2013
Central California

I prefer subdued rather than flashy. Personal taste.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

The gold is fugly.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
Loads of people love the gold. You get some nobodies with no taste trying to knock on stuff they don't like - and they usually don't like anything that's not vanilla flavour.

If anything, Apple are too conservative with their colours.

The gold is a classy champagne colour anyway, not really gold as I would usually describe it - (I have a friend with a 'gold' iP5 which looks subtle and not flashy at all in person).

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
The thick antenna breaks aren't necessarily attractive, but the Silver and Space Gray hide them better as they're color-coded.

On the other hand, making the bands gold-colored might look even more tacky so I dunno.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2010
The color is more like a bronze colored bra or underwear stocking material that was common in the 80s and in the past.

I can't explain it.

Its not Gold at all.

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I was going for the silver but now I'm thinking the gold. All I've ever had was the black so either will be refreshing to me.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
One reason may just be in relation to the other colors. Gray and silver are neutral, gold is not. That means maybe it doesn't go with your suit or shirt or purse or tie or whatever. Neutral tones tend to highlight the form and blend in, colors draw attention to the color instead and may clash with surrounding colors.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I think the gold looks very elegant. I am not crazy about the high contrast antenna bands and wish they would blend in a little more, that's all. However I think the overall warmth of the gold puts it back on equal footing with the two other colors, as the other two are lacking in warmth. But if something happens to my space gray order I'd happily take a gold or silver. I think they all look very nice.

You should feel free to get what you like. If someone says something rude about your choice, stare them down incredulously. Too many people think they can just run their mouths and say anything nasty that pops into their small minds. When someone stands up to a person like that with just a simple stinkeye, it often shuts them up.

Though to be fair to humanity, years ago I ran around with a ridiculously bulky Hitachi G1000 clipped to my waistband and nobody ever batted an eyelash about it. Different times, perhaps. I'd hate to think people have gotten more shallow, nosy and judgmental.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
With those giant lines, I think the gold looks the worst this year. There is much more contrast between gold and white than there is two different shades of grey and silver and grey. It's just how it is.

That said, I would have taken a gold phone had I been able to order lol.

christyxcore

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2013
I was actually thinking of getting the gold. Then I noticed those white lines on the back — not a fan. Went with Space Gray. If the antenna band lines weren't so bad looking, and it was more like how the gold 5s looked, I would have gotten it.

butterfly92

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2014

I had my heart in gold 6+ but all the hate made me doubt that as well. You should do what makes you happy because you will be the one using the phone! I say go with what you like! :rolleyes:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
With Apple refusing to release a proper black iPhone the Gold is the best looking one by default. At least that was the case with the 5S.

I need to see them both in person though before deciding concerning the 6.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
The thick antenna breaks aren't necessarily attractive, but the Silver and Space Gray hide them better as they're color-coded.

On the other hand, making the bands gold-colored might look even more tacky so I dunno.

This. Gold one just looks fugly to me.

Ayr

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2014
I had my heart in gold 6+ but all the hate made me doubt that as well. You should do what makes you happy because you will be the one using the phone! I say go with what you like! :rolleyes:

I ordered a 6 in gold for the missus. She loves it, and I'd happily use it too as a blokey bloke. It doesn't look anything out of the ordinary in person. Just looks nice. No-one irl would think twice about seeing you hold it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.