Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
I have recently fixed my Father in Laws MacBook Pro 17 Inch, he spilt Coffee on it. After doing some research I replaced the keyboard and it was as good as new.

Yesterday during a course someone knocked Coffee over my Macbook (what happened to Karma).

Anyway as soon as it happened I turned it upside down and switched it off and then once I found a screwdriver I removed the battery.

Once I got home the next day I stripped it down, there was some fluid under the Optical drive but once I stripped the layers off of the keyboard it looked pretty clean.

Anyway after I stripped the laptop down, cleaned it up, and dried it, it wouldn't power on, a couple of ribbon cables didn't seem to seat home properly but I didn't want to force them. I powered it up by shorting the two pin as shown herehttp://www.insidemylaptop.com/turn-on-macbook-pro-laptop-without-power-button-locating-power-on-pads/ and it booted up but the keyboard didn't work (apart from one key), the Wifi and Bluetooth was also greyed out as if no hardware was connected.

I took it apart and using some electrical tape I managed to seat the ribbon cables in a bit better and this time the power button worked but the keyboard, Wifi etc was still inop.

If I can get the Bluetooth and Wifi problem sorted out does anyone know what keyboard I need to get I.e. A????

Thanks.

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Update:
The Macbook started to exhibit some star angle behaviour, it turned on by itself and then would not shutdown, well it did but it kept re-booting. Now it will not switch on at all using the ion short method?

Looks like it's toasted?

My insurance won't pay out and I contacted the individual who knocked over the Coffee and they have said that they cannot afford to replace it but will check their insurance policy?

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
Another Update:

After re-visiting the Fix My Laptop site where I found the pin short out power up method, I re-read the intro which states that these methods may not work if the keyboard is connected. I disconnected three ribbon cables (I Think one was not the keyboard) and hey presto it powered up again. it looks like the Domino effect had only effected the keyboard which was causing the follow up weird behaviour?

Anyway I now know that the Mac operates at about 90% but before I up and pay for a keyboard I would like to fix the Bluetooth and WiFi (No Hardware Installed when hovering over the Desktop Icon in the menu bar?).

JonnyAlpha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 30, 2008
UPDATE:

As a follow up, the Bluetooth and Wifi issues where caused by the single cable to the Mobo that takes these and the camera, the cable just needed to be pushed in a little further and held with PVC tape?

Anyway, after I found that the only issue was the keyboard I purchased a replacement one from Fleabay for £54.00, took a while as they were out of stock however, when it finally turned up I managed to replace the faulty Keyboard and I am now tapping away on it now :)

Better than £1400 on a new macbook Pro :-(

Thread Closed

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.