Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brandon6684

Original poster
Dec 30, 2002
I've been trying to fix my very first computer, a Macintosh Performa 410. The problem I'm having with it is that the floppy drive seems to be shot. I put a new(well used but working) one in and it didn't work. Afterwards the new drive had the burnt electrical smell to it and wouldn't even work in the machine that donated the drive. Stupidly I tried another drive that suffered the same fate. Does any one know what could be wrong with the old Mac to make it burn up floppy drives. It is a perfectly good computer, it just doesn't have a floppy drive. Also, is is there any way to get a Performa 410 on a regular LAN(ethernet, DCHP)? Any help would be appreciated.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
The floppy cable is not connected properly to the motherboard. Most likely it is connected backwards, but it could be off by a pin. Check it meticulously.

I had a Centris 610, and to connect it to Ethernet I used a little card which replaced the modem, called a "LC III Ethernet Card". According to the Mac Bible, the 410 has a slot called an "LC PDS" so you need an "LC Ethernet Card". Look for it on ebay or ask at a local club.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.