Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Why are so many people here die hard apple fans, literally bouncing and nodding to every move apple make. Remember apple, although they are excellent, sometimes they dont get it right, which means if you follow them blindly you will also *sometimes* get it wrong.

Which leads me onto this browser refresh issue. This always happens, tabs have to constantly reload. I dont have this problem in my pc or laptop.

Now these die hard apple people on here seem to think even if iphone had 512mb it would be amazing. What is wrong with these people? I dont know what annoys me more about them, the lack of understanding of a problem that needs to be solved or their blind following without any understanding.

Why should the tabs refresh, whats the point in having tabs if they refresh, we could just make a new folder in favourites and put them in there and use just one tab. Thats the whole POINT of tabs, so you dont refresh and they are there, simultaneously. I should be able to choose when I want to refresh.

By the way i pre order an iphone 6 plus 128gb, many are saying it could have 2gb of ram but regardless the iphone 6 has 1 gb which is almost unacceptable.

The problem exists on so many apple devices, and the solution is simple, add more ram. Why can they not understand this.

And im sorry the iphone is a flagship device, everyone knows how much I paid for the iphone 6 plus 128gb, it does not come cheap, along with products like the mac pro, these are the expensive flagship devices.

Why should the people buying iphone have to compromise when the competitor phones have double or more ram as standard. This is somewhat disappointing for a top top end device. If it was a cheap device then sure, you get what you pay for etc.

Ram is not something we should be having to complain about in 2014.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
We're not even sure until release and reviews are out how much RAM exactly either device will have. :rolleyes:

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
Why are so many people here die hard apple fans, literally bouncing and nodding to every move apple make. Remember apple, although they are excellent, sometimes they dont get it right, which means if you follow them blindly you will also *sometimes* get it wrong.

Which leads me onto this browser refresh issue. This always happens, tabs have to constantly reload. I dont have this problem in my pc or laptop.

Now these die hard apple people on here seem to think even if iphone had 512mb it would be amazing. What is wrong with these people? I dont know what annoys me more about them, the lack of understanding of a problem that needs to be solved or their blind following without any understanding.

Why should the tabs refresh, whats the point in having tabs if they refresh, we could just make a new folder in favourites and put them in there and use just one tab. Thats the whole POINT of tabs, so you dont refresh and they are there, simultaneously. I should be able to choose when I want to refresh.

By the way i pre order an iphone 6 plus 128gb, many are saying it could have 2gb of ram but regardless the iphone 6 has 1 gb which is almost unacceptable.

The problem exists on so many apple devices, and the solution is simple, add more ram. Why can they not understand this.

And im sorry the iphone is a flagship device, everyone knows how much I paid for the iphone 6 plus 128gb, it does not come cheap, along with products like the mac pro, these are the expensive flagship devices.

Why should the people buying iphone have to compromise when the competitor phones have double or more ram as standard. This is somewhat disappointing for a top top end device. If it was a cheap device then sure, you get what you pay for etc.

Ram is not something we should be having to complain about in 2014.

The only thing I have seen so far that indicates that 1GB of RAM isn't enough is that you can't open up multiple web page tabs (assuming that RAM is even the problem in that case). So. . .that's it? All this freaking out, threads and bitching and moaning because of web page tabs?

Konvictz

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2014
Why does it bother you so much, what other people do?

Because there exists a problem, and there exists an easy solution to that problem.

But these *people* get in the way of that and justify the problem is not in need of being fixed, when clearly people have been complaining for a while now, and recently even more because they found out the iphone 6, at least, will definitely have only 1 gb of ram.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The only thing I have seen so far that indicates that 1GB of RAM isn't enough is that you can't open up multiple web page tabs (assuming that RAM is even the problem in that case). So. . .that's it? All this freaking out, threads and bitching and moaning because of web page tabs?

You can open 20+ tabs on Safari, download another browser app and open numerous tabs on that too. You can have them all open consecutively. However, that isn't what we're talking about. Webpage reloading is the issue and a lack of RAM is the probable culprit.

Brian Y

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2012

I stopped reading after the first line.

Adding RAM will not just magically stop software behaving how it has likely been designed. Say, right now, Safari is programmed to allow 6 or 7 tabs (I have no idea what the actual number is) before it starts dumping them out of memory. If we double the RAM to 2GB, and Safari now allows 14 tabs open, people will still moan that "OH WHEN I HAVE 15 TABS OPEN THEY START RELOADING, WE NEED 4GB OF RAM".

iOS is designed to be clever with memory. In fact, I would bet that you would probably notice 0 difference if the iPhone 5S had only 1/2 the RAM is has now. RAM is assigned to what is needed, and I think it's a safe bet to say that if you have 20 tabs open in safari, those 20 tabs probably don't need to be in memory.

A smarter solution, IMO, would be to cache the tabs to flash instead of reloading them - but that's a software design issue, not an "WE NEED MORE RAM" issue.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
You can open 20+ tabs on Safari, download another browser app and open numerous tabs on that too. You can have them all open consecutively. However, that isn't what we're talking about. Webpage reloading is the issue and a lack of RAM is the probable culprit.

So? Is it preventing you from using the browser or viewing pages?

No device is perfect. With Android, you get a whole new, different set of BS. For my Note 3, I may be able to not have web pages reload, but the wifi drops far too often (the infamous "your internet connection is unstable" message). On my iPhone 5s, its rock solid.

It sounds like you won't be happy no matter what you get.

Ortiz7983

Suspended
Aug 6, 2012
I'm it upset because nobody knows yet. Plus, you should be upset at yourself. They don't make products according to what's out there they make their products on how they want to make it. Then put them out for sale, and the customer decides to buy it. It's not like they are forcing you to buy it. They can put whatever price tag they want. It's up to you if you want to pay for that.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
The only thing that you mentioned is browser refresh. just curious is that it?

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Because there exists a problem, and there exists an easy solution to that problem.

But these *people* get in the way of that and justify the problem is not in need of being fixed, when clearly people have been complaining for a while now, and recently even more because they found out the iphone 6, at least, will definitely have only 1 gb of ram.

Look, I get what you are saying. Do I think that Apple should have increased the RAM in the phones? Absolutely. Having my tabs and apps refresh is annoying.

But here's the thing: it's just an annoyance. It doesn't cripple the phone, it doesn't stop me from doing anything vital. And realistically, most people don't care. You're complaining about the "die hard" Apple fans but realistically, millions of people buy these phones, and not all of them are die hard fans. They just care about a phone that looks good, is easy to use, that allows them to browse and take pictures, etc.

I am interested to see the reviews about real life usage when they come out this week, though. :)

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
Quit complaining. We dont even know whats in te device and there was more than enough ram on my iPhone 5s. I dont need to have 27 browser tabs open at once on my phone.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
No but it will have one gig of RAM just like the iPhone 5 and 5S....so we know what to expect. Are you so oblivious?

Yes, I expect it to work just like my iPhone 5 and iPad Air.

Great.

ZBoater's got it. Forget the fact that again, no one has even used the phone, no one knows what it has in it or how it will make usage of whatever RAM it has.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
So? Is it preventing you from using the browser or viewing pages?

No device is perfect. With Android, you get a whole new, different set of BS. For my Note 3, I may be able to not have web pages reload, but the wifi drops far too often (the infamous "your internet connection is unstable" message). On my iPhone 5s, its rock solid.

It sounds like you won't be happy no matter what you get.

So because I'm unhappy with a well-publicised fault, I'm therefore one of those people who will never be happy with anything? Erm, ok.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Because there exists a problem

With no one having done a teardown yet, we don't know that to be true.

As I've said many times: the loudest voice is in your wallet. As long as people continue to buy the products as is, then Apple will keep making them that way. And if enough people are putting it up with it enough to keep buying it, then Apple won't view it as a problem.

Are you buying this phone? If so, will you return it if it has only 1GB of RAM? If not, then you're part of the problem.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
A smarter solution, IMO, would be to cache the tabs to flash instead of reloading them - but that's a software design issue, not an "WE NEED MORE RAM" issue.
Agreed. Is NAND flash life (P/E cycles) on iOS devices so low that their virtual memory isn't backed by internal storage?

ZombiePete

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
San Antonio, TX

Here's what it boils down to for me: if you bought one, your complaints are meaningless because your money told Apple that you were fine with the RAM and everything else about the iPhone.

If you're truly unhappy with the RAM situation, move to a phone that has what you need. If there's no other phone that does what you want and you just can't get away from the iPhone, then apparently the lack of RAM isn't enough to stop you from getting what you need out of the phone and these endless threads about RAM are, ultimately, meaningless.

HolyGrail

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2010
Planet Earth
My samsung s4 with 2gb of ram is much worse at reloading pages (or apps), then my friends iPhone 5s, as well as my iPad 3. Specs don't mean crap against real world use.

Heck right now on my macbook with 12gb of ram. i'm using safari and every time I swipe to go back to the iPhone section on MacRumors, safari auto refreshes.

I believe its just a apple design that doesn't really bothers most apple users.

Until Apple changes that design, you gonna have to live with it or buy something else and live without it.

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
So because I'm unhappy with a well-publicised fault, I'm therefore one of those people who will never be happy with anything? Erm, ok.

Its a trivial fault. Wifi dropping, goofy bluetooth and a camera driver suddenly going crazy, causing your device to heat up until you reboot it (all Note 3 issues I've had) are actual problems.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.