Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
Okay I'm torn on this one, I just purchased the 6+ and unsure if I should buy the next iteration of rMini. Any of ipad rMini owners on the same boat as me?

Megaman

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2006
Just to be clear. Your wondering if you should get the mini as well?

I have a rMini 128gb. i love it and take it everywhere with me. I also pre-ordered the iPhone Plus 128gb.

I'm going to sell the mini. I have a MBPr 15". The size gap between them isn't worth it imo. Specially between the 3.

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014
Okay I'm torn on this one, I just purchased the 6+ and unsure if I should buy the next iteration of rMini. Any of ipad rMini owners on the same boat as me?

I just bought a rMini. I don't use touchid and think it's stupid so that wouldn't win me over.

Traverse

macrumors 604
Mar 11, 2013
Here
I won't buy another iPad until it has 2GB of RAM. I don't mind it on a phone, but Touch ID, a super fast 64-bit Soc, and increased camera function don't outweigh the lack of RAM when using an iPad productively.

Word gets flushed out of memory, Safari tabs reload, etc.

----------

\
I don't think that the rMini 2 will be out this year.

Why wouldn't it?

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
TouchID is definitely coming... It's long overdue after they skipped it last year

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I would wait and see. I have an iPhone 5 and last week made a call that what Apple was offering me in the iPhone 6 was not compelling enough to part with several hundred dollars. I'll apply the same value question at the iPad launch and take it from there.

Last edited:

iPhone7ate9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 22, 2014

No.

I don't understand why TouchID is a 'feature'. Like why do so many people want that?

Patriks7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2008
Vienna
What evidence do you have that suggests it will have a second iteration that no one else has?

I personally think Apple will second guess the mini now that there is a 6+... I think its about 50/50 that the mini will get an update next month.

Have you ever owned a mini? The difference is still quite big in comparison to any 5.5" phone.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
I'm keeping my current retina Mini and I will likely buy the new Air.

My Retina Mini is the 128GB LTE GSM model so if I try and sell it, I would probably only get half the amount I bought it for. I will just keep it as I intended when I bought it.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
TouchID is definitely coming... It's long overdue after they skipped it last year

TouchID would be extremely useful if iOS 8 had a multiple user support, at least on the iPad.
I wish I could unlock the iPad with my finger on the home button and have all of my accounts loaded, then give the iPad to my wife so she can unlock it with her finger and have her facebook account instead of mine etc.
That would be a very cool feature of TouchID on the iPad.

And please Tim, tell the guys to put 2GB of RAM

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
No. I don't think you should. As I posted in another thread, IMO out of the three categories:

1) iPhone or iPod Touch
2) iPad or iPad Mini
3) Macbook Pro or Macbook Air

you should pick two. I cannot imagine a scenario where someone would get three, and extensively use all three. Sure, a few people might, but they are almost certainly in the extreme minority.

What you want is a portable work machine, and a more portable play machine. If you get a third device, what would its purpose be?

I intend to have, within a month or two, an iPad. Then I will have a cheap (~$100 off contract) android phone (only used for calls/sms/maps/tethering), an iPad for mobile entertainment, my MBP for portable work, and my desktop for work and entertainment at home. All bases covered, but little overlap.

EDIT: Further note, I think the iPhone+ is encroaching on category 2 territory a bit too much. I think you might be able to justify getting a full-size iPad, if you don't also have a notebook, but choosing an iPad Mini over an iPad, when you already own an iPhone+, seems insane to me.

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Just to be clear. Your wondering if you should get the mini as well?

I have a rMini 128gb. i love it and take it everywhere with me. I also pre-ordered the iPhone Plus 128gb.

I'm going to sell the mini. I have a MBPr 15". The size gap between them isn't worth it imo. Specially between the 3.

The 6+ won't run iPad apps. If you are using iPad only apps you will no longer have access to those.
It is possible the developers will create new similar apps that can take advantage of that extra real estate. I'll be upgrading my rMini.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
No. I don't think you should. As I posted in another thread, IMO out of the three categories:

1) iPhone or iPod Touch
2) iPad or iPad Mini
3) Macbook Pro or Macbook Air

you should pick two. I cannot imagine a scenario where someone would get three, and extensively use all three. Sure, a few people might, but they are almost certainly in the extreme minority.

What you want is a portable work machine, and a more portable play machine. If you get a third device, what would its purpose be?

I intend to have, within a month or two, an iPad. Then I will have a cheap (~$100 off contract) android phone (only used for calls/sms/maps/tethering), an iPad for mobile entertainment, my MBP for portable work, and my desktop for work and entertainment at home. All bases covered, but little overlap.

EDIT: Further note, I think the iPhone+ is encroaching on category 2 territory a bit too much. I think you might be able to justify getting a full-size iPad, if you don't also have a notebook, but choosing an iPad Mini over an iPad, when you already own an iPhone+, seems insane to me.

I currently have all 3 checked, 5s (waiting on the 6+), MBP, and rMini. hahaha

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
I currently have an rMini and a rMBP (15") and a Samsung Galaxy S5. I am happy with all sizes because each device has its own usage. I will not be getting the rMini2 because there's no need for me to. My rMini still works great and does what I need it to. I plan on keeping the rMini for as long as it is working. It's a great device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.