Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I have to admit that I am starting to realize how ridiculous the price point is. I mean for just $65 more I could buy a new Macbook Air! It's not about not being able to afford it but more about the intrinsic value. I'm on the verge of cancelling my order. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not looking for immature moronic comments (Mac Rumors specializes in those) but more intelligent discussion of what is the real value of the device.

$849 for the phone
$67 in taxes
$18 for a case off Amazon.

I have never spent this much money on a phone before. When the first iPhone came out I purchased it used off Craigslist for about $450 a few days after it came out and that was a bit pricey in 07. The phone was not subsidized then. Since then I have always paid subsidized prices. All my iPhone's through the 4s, my S3 and current S4 were all under $200. Maybe I'm just used to this price. A bit on the fence here. How do you all feel about paying full price for the 6+? I know there are cheaper options but those would feel like a downgrade to my current S4. Any thoughts?

cymolia

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2012
Orange County, FL
96jmdc.gif

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
I know, right? And I bought two (a his and a hers). I threw up a little bit when I hit the buy button.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    279 KB · Views: 226

pellets007

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2009
New York
I felt the same way, but I try not to think about it. Subsidized or not, you'll end up paying for it one way or another.

ijen0311

macrumors 65816
Jul 4, 2009
Yeah, it's a lot, but besides my bed perhaps, there are few things I use more (or more often, at least) than my cell phone.

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
I know, right? And I bought two (a his and a hers). I threw up a little bit when I hit the buy button.

two here, too..... but until i read that you threw up i didn't.....

(i was too busy being pissed at the whole preorder crap! lol!)

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009
You don't have a subsidized plan with a 2 year contract.

I never pay more than 300-400 for my phone and I always sell it one-to-two years later for 200-300 dollars. I couldn't imagine having to pay full price for the phone especially considering how bad the 1st year depreciation is; more than 50% of the retail value.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It's outrageous.

Way better option is to get an IPhone 5s used for well under $400.

Extremely capable and awesome device.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
You don't have a subsidized plan with a 2 year contract.

I never pay more than 300-400 for my phone and I always sell it one-to-two years later for 200-300 dollars. I couldn't imagine having to pay full price for the phone.

AT&T used to give me this about every year. I have been with them for 12 years but they no longer offer this to me.

----------

It's outrageous.

Way better option is to get an IPhone 5s used for well under $400.

Extremely capable and awesome device.

Honestly, my other choice would be the Note 4. I don't want to go back to a smaller screen.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Get a used 5S or even a 5/ 5C. Unless you require cutting edge performance for the few games that fully tax the system, the previous phones are fully capable of being a phone, browsing, emailing and messaging. iOS and app support will extend for the next two years too.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
AT&T used to give me this about every year. I have been with them for 12 years but they no longer offer this to me.

----------

Honestly, my other choice would be the Note 4. I don't want to go back to a smaller screen.

In that case, I'd wait a year until the iphone 6 models are getting fire sold off so the same group here can get the $1,100 iPhone 7

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I am thinking about waiting for the 6s or whatever they will call it next year. We all want the latest and greatest but my S4 is plenty capable. Damn you Apple Watch. You are what started this... lol

ToroidalZeus

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2009

----------

You probably switched over to the new family share plans. I am still on an old nationwide family plan and I am purchasing 3 phones this year, all on 2 year contract.

RByers8252

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2014
You're not alone. I bought the 128gb 6+. $949+$62 in tax+ $52 for apple leather case. But I probably use my phone more than anything else I own over its life, I do think apples prices are rape on iphone considering how much they make, and charge too much for storage but it's the best personal computer experience that I can take everywhere with me.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
You probably switched over to the new family share plans. I am still on an old nationwide family plan and I am purchasing 3 phones this year, all on 2 year contract.

No, I'm on my own plan. Nationwide with grandfathered unlimited data from 07. Not going to give that up...

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Major providers aren't really giving you a discount when you bring your own phone. Sign a contract.

Verizon - $60 a month, unlimited talk and text, 2gb data

Izauze

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2013
It's not a phone. It's a pocket computer that you can also make calls on. 1000 for a computer is nothing new.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
I have to admit that I am starting to realize how ridiculous the price point is. I mean for just $65 more I could buy a new Macbook Air! It's not about not being able to afford it but more about the intrinsic value. I'm on the verge of cancelling my order. Anyone else feel this way? I'm not looking for immature moronic comments (Mac Rumors specializes in those) but more intelligent discussion of what is the real value of the device.

$849 for the phone
$67 in taxes
$18 for a case off Amazon.

I have never spent this much money on a phone before. When the first iPhone came out I purchased it used off Craigslist for about $450 a few days after it came out and that was a bit pricey in 07. The phone was not subsidized then. Since then I have always paid subsidized prices. All my iPhone's through the 4s, my S3 and current S4 were all under $200. Maybe I'm just used to this price. A bit on the fence here. How do you all feel about paying full price for the 6+? I know there are cheaper options but those would feel like a downgrade to my current S4. Any thoughts?
If youre not looking for immature and moronic comments whyd you post this here?

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
I've given serious consideration to buying outright each year but I just decide to stay put on my contract and subsidized pricing with trade-in credit. I end up paying a couple hundred dollars every 2yrs. Of course, I haven't had the need to hop to different carriers so it's cool.

Hendry

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
I bought it outright as well but the sale of my 5s will mitigate the pain somewhat. If it makes you happy and you can afford it so what.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
It really depends on what the phone means to you.

I'm a heavy data user with a lot of email, some tethering, and normal business use. The excitement is addictive that is for sure. Loosing the free tethering is going to be an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.