Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
My parents just purchased a new Asus Q302LA laptop with windows 8.1. They cannot get the laptop to connect successfully to their hotspot.

They have no problem if the phone is connected by USB, but it won't work for wifi. I can only get a limited connection, I did a diagnosis and get this error message:

"No response default gateway DHCP server"

I called Asus, they had me uninstall the wifi device (it's an intel wifi card) turn off the computer and try again. That didn't help, they don't know what else to do. It connects fine with any other wifi. The laptop also won't recognize the phone as a bluetooth device. It has the phone on the bluetooth list, but won't connect. I tried deleting it, but it won't let me.

I have this issue with 3 different iPhones, iphone 5 and 5s. Other laptops connect no problem, but they aren't running Win 8.1

Anybody have a clue how to get this laptop to recognize the hotspot as a wifi?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Did you install the latest itunes version on that windows 8.1 laptop?
That might help cause itunes also installs the iphone drivers needed for tethering and for the computer to recognize the iphone as a wireless network device.

PM-Performance

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2012
We run windows 8.1 at work. We had some issues with Cisco any connect causing connections issues, and I think wireless drivers in the lenovos needing to be updated here and there. We imaged with some pretty old ones.
I have used it a few times with success though on our 8.1 laptops.

you using windows to manage wireless? Or something else from asus or like an intel Pro wireless software?
We don't run itunes out our computers, so I don't think that has anything to do with it. It's not a driver issue with the phone if the phone is not connected physically to the computer.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
I do have the latest iTunes. I am assuming when Asus had me uninstall and try again it updated the drivers. I will have to go to the Intel website and see if they have any tips.

I also know its not the carrier, I tried AT&T and Verizon. The phones work on my Mac and Dell laptop, so it can't be the phones.

It definitely has to do with the Asus, just not sure what.

ksalito56

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2012
Amite, LA
Keep your fingers crossed, I downloaded the driver update. Looks like its working. Trying to work it hard, with searching internet, see how long it lasts.

But before it lost connection as soon as I tried to search.

Thanks for everyones help.

myeagley

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2014
limited connectivity issue solution

Go to the battery icon on the bottom tool bar and right click. Then go to power options->change plan settings->change advanced power settings->wireless adapter settings->power saving mode-> then make sure both plugged in and wireless are set to maximum performance. Every time windows does an update this resets and you have to manually go back and reset it again. This works every time for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.