Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hal~9000

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I mean it's not that difficult to do, what gives? :confused:

And no... the camera LED does not count.

EDIT: I am talking about an LED notification light that...
1) Is hidden underneath the glass or earpiece grill
2) Is turned off by default

This way no one can whine and say "but that is ugly" or "but I dont want it" since those types won't be bothered by the LED, only the people that want it and turn it on will have it.

Last edited:

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
What for ? In old days and flip phones the LED was ok as additional signal. These days we have a huge retina-(LED) display showing all kind of information/notification.

Don't miss that little flashy LED. And soon we can wrap a watch around our wrists. But that's just me. YMMV.

phpmaven

macrumors 68040
Jun 12, 2009
San Clemente, CA USA
What for? I have never once in my life ever thought "man, I wish this thing had a notification LED" nor have I ever heard any of the many people I know say that. Since this is a feature that obviously very few people want or need, you will never see it.

Eggtastic

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
NJ
i agree and am surprised more people have not attacked you on this. I posted a question like this months back and got reamed out. i don't think it would ruin the design what so ever. i have a samsung galaxy s3 and the notification helps a lot, plus designating certain colors for email, text, missed calls, etc.

i hope someday apple wakes up and realizes just about every other phone on the market has one, thats about one of the few features apple hasn't decided to add to "catch up".

with that said, i have a 6+ 64gb on order and am happy to jump back into the apple ecosystem. the LED notification would have been the icing on the cake. oh well.

Reactions: Phantom094

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Because it doesn't provide any usefulness beyond what the phones already do now? If your phone's in your pocket, it doesn't matter. If your phone is on your desk, you've got that big screen to give you way more information than a little glow light.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Because if you touch the home button you have the screen as your "LED indicator"

I don't understand the point of the LED indicator and when you get your indications on the screen?

newone757

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
OP I'm actually with you on this one

So many people miss the point. Notification led isn't for when you get a notification while looking at the phone... It's more useful for when you've actually missed something and return to your phone. Yes you can wake the device and check but you wouldn't even have to if, for instance, the ring around the touch ID home button glowed when you missed something -- indicating there is something that requires your attention.

I'm not one of those people who constantly wake their device for no good reason and scroll around the home screen doing absolutely nothing. I see plenty of people like that out in public and it's, IMO, a bad habit. It would be nice to be able to look across the room at my phone sitting on the table and see the home button lit up, indicating I should walk over and check the phone l. There's been times when I left my phone alone for a while and missed a few texts before coming back in to grab it on my way out the house.

If you've ever seen the notification orb on the old Palm Pre you'd understand. That was a perfect l, subtle indication. I'm not fond of any of the dedicated notification LEDs on android phones.

Surf Monkey

macrumors 603
Oct 3, 2010
Portland, OR
What iPhones need is telescoping antennas! Phone reception has sucked since companies stopped putting those on phones. Come ON, Apple! When are you going to bring back the telescoping antenna??

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012

Because you have too many apple fanboys on here.

Once apple decides to include an LED indicator, the fanboys will say it innovative.

Typical apple fanboy mentality.

Reactions: Phantom094

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
It has to do with battery life, a vibration or alert should be enough to get your attention that you got a notification. What's a led going to do for you when your asleep you can't see it.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
You clearly don't own an iphone.

On the iphone notifications pop up on the screen. The entire screen. No need for an LED indicator light. It's not needed. It's an old philosophy for people who hate their phones and never want to look at it.

Iphone is different. People want to look at their phones. Just by looking at your phone you get all the notifications on the screen.

LED light... Never gonna happen.

Active display aka Moto X style notifications... Possible.

pragmatous

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2012
Never going to happen. It's an old idea that old people cling to. It's no longer needed on the iphone for the reasons I outlined above.

Once apple decides to include an LED indicator, the fanboys will say it innovative.

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008

Nope. We'll all be trying to figure out how to switch off the ugly, flashy light. ;)

sillywabbit

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
Why is Apple so damn stubborn to never include notification LED in its iPhone...

Never going to happen. It's an old idea that old people cling to. It's no longer needed on the iphone for the reasons I outlined above.

I lot of times at home or work, I place my phone on the desk, bed, table, etc. walk away to the kitchen, break room, bathroom, driving with the radio up, etc. I miss a call and I am unaware of it when I come back. A light indicator lets me know I missed a call, text, etc. the lighting up of the screen does not stay on long enough if you have been gone for a while.

Not everyone keeps there phone on them at all times.

Just sayin'

MauriceMoss

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2010
I guess I'm out of the loop on this one. I've never had an android device so take this with a grain of salt.

But, what is the point of a flashing or solid light? What exactly is that going to tell you?

You missed a call? You have a new email? What if you have seven new emails and the third one is the most important? Does the light blink seven times and the third blink is red? Is there a secret code letting me know my wife was one of three callers?

or

Just look at the lock screen for a detailed listing of notifications.

Not sure why people would want a little light telling them they missed stuff.

I guess based on the posting above that we all develop different habits based on the phones we use.
If I was out of the room or away from my phone, I'd just pick it up and look at it. It takes like, I dunno, less than a second to wake it up and look at it.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
Because if you touch the home button you have the screen as your "LED indicator"

I see. So when you get back to your office at work, you'd like to have to press a button on your phone to see if there's voice mail. And when you get home, you've no problem to press a button on your phone to see if you have messages?

I guess I'm weird - I just think it would be nice to glance at my phone on the desk to see if I need to bother to reach over and press a button to check messages or not.

A flashing LED. Old school technology, but it's actually useful. But since Apple says it isn't, the fanboys have to agree.

The Afroman

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2009
Austin,Tx
So turn them on..

Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash for Alerts..

I use this all the time. Sometimes I miss the sound/vibe but I will always see the flash of the back led.

fmalloy

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2007
So turn them on..

Settings > General > Accessibility > LED Flash for Alerts..

I use this all the time. Sometimes I miss the sound/vibe but I will always see the flash of the back led.

I use it too. Problem is, it flashes once, and often when it's across the room and you're not looking at it.

When you walk up to your phone that was in the next room, you still have to pick it up and press a button and view the screen to see if you have messages to check or not.

BJabs

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I don't know. I really miss LEDs. Everything has to look cool, now, instead of just being effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.