Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taking advantage of the high storage capacities available on its 64 GB and 128 GB iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus models, Apple will be including the free iLife and iWork apps on those models preinstalled. The 16 GB models will still be eligible for the free apps, but users will have to download them manually, based on early word from a MacRumors source and now seconded by a separate source who provided 9to5Mac with details from Apple's internal documentation on the matter.

The preinstalled apps includes iMovie, GarageBand, Keynote, Pages, Numbers, and iTunes U, all of which are currently offered as free downloads the first time the App Store is launched on a new device.

apple_free_apps_install.jpg
Apple last year updated its iLife and iWork apps and started offering the two suites for free with the purchase of a new Mac or iOS device. New device owners received the apps for free in the App Store with the option to download them to their devices at any point in time.

Article Link: Apple to Preinstall iLife and iWork on Higher-Capacity iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models

gpat

macrumors 68000
Mar 1, 2011
Italy
So now we have an overpriced storage option, which could also be potentially wasted. Great!

Lapidus

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
Free, but only when you buy a high capacity iPhone.

(I Know others can download it for free as well)

Paradoxally

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2011
With the 32 GB model gone, there's really no excuse not to get the 64 GB model. The 16 GB one offers no value.

JonneyGee

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2011
Nashville, TN
Works for me as long as they can be deleted. I'm getting the 128 GB model, but my 64 GB iPhone 4S is full and I've already deleted the iLife apps since each is over half a GB. Wouldn't want to be stuck with these apps if I eventually fill up my 128 GB as well.

RDeckard

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
If you don't want the apps and can delete them, no problem.

If you can delete them, cue the lazy dummies and haters who will say "Apple makes you press the "X" to delete the apps! Waaaaaah!"

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Of course you can delete them. Sheesh. First the U2 haters saying they don't want the album, then this. Don't want it? Don't download it. Don't want the apps? Delete them. How hard is this?

FWP indeed. This is the only place on earth where people get upset when you give them something (communicable diseases aside). :rolleyes:

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How so? I've managed 16GB devices for several years with having all of the content I personally want on it while having plenty of space left.

It's fine if it works for you, but $199 for 16 GB in 2014 is not a good deal.

pdaholic

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2011
Of course you can delete them. Sheesh. First the U2 haters saying they don't want the album, then this. Don't want it? Don't download it. Don't want the apps? Delete them. How hard is this?

FWP indeed. This is the only place on earth where people get upset when you give them something (communicable diseases aside). :rolleyes:

Right. Just like you can delete the preinstalled stocks app.

Edit: okay, several folks quoting me to say these apps aren't going to be installed in the rom like the Stocks app. I hope you all are correct! I couldn't care less about about the Garage Band app.

Last edited:

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX

True, it's not the greatest deal in the world. However, you'd ultimately be spending an extra $100 for more storage capacity than what's actually needed. I guess it's like 2-for-1 deals. You might ultimately get better value by buying the second product, but you're ultimately spending extra money to get that second one even though you may not even need it.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
With the 32 GB model gone, there's really no excuse not to get the 64 GB model. The 16 GB one offers no value.

My wife and I currently have 32GB iPhone 5 and 5s (and 5 is being replaced with 64GB 6 on Friday). I think it's better to phrase it as 64GB now offers more value than before whereas 16GB will continue to serve the need of folks that rarely shoots video, watches movies or listens to lots of music/podcasts, and/or install more than a couple of dozen apps. Such as my mom.

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Imagine the uproar if you can't
Imagine the uproar if Apple delivers a deceased kitten with every iPhone.

In a few days we will know for sure whether each box contains a feline corpse. It's not really worth getting upset about it prematurely.

My guess is that Apple won't do kill four million kittens just to deliver them to its loyal customers. And also that the iLife and iWork applications will be deletable. I imagine they're trying to reduce the hit on their servers when millions of people who DO want these apps try to download them simultaneously.

gdeputy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
New York

So, 199 for 16GB isn't a good deal but an additional 100$ for a jump to 64 is? Or 200 for 128? You DO realize (as has ALWAYS been the case with these devices) that the best value for money:internals has ALWAYS been the lowest common denominator, right? You're paying an additional 100$ for 2$ worth of component.

hipnetic

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2010
I just did the math. These iLife and iWork apps currently add up to between 2-2.5GB worth of storage space. Not counting documents, etc.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
So, 199 for 16GB isn't a good deal but an additional 100$ for a jump to 64 is? Or 200 for 128? You DO realize (as has ALWAYS been the case with these devices) that the best value for money:internals has ALWAYS been the lowest common denominator, right? You're paying an additional 100$ for 2$ worth of component.

It's a better deal in that last year, $299 would have given you 32 GB.

Yes, the margins are better for Apple with the higher priced models. But that doesn't change the fact that $199 for 16 GB is terrible nowadays. They should have started at 32. They probably decided to do this because they can get more people to jump to 64 where their margins are even higher, as you state.

Rafagon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
Miami, FL

So true.

And for those who may not want to believe this, here's the iPhone 5s bill of materials. You can see exactly what Apple pays for the components.

https://technology.ihs.com/451425/g...m-and-manufacturing-cost-ihs-teardown-reveals

Dave532

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2014
I don't think Apple should pre-install anything. It starts a slippery slope. Next the carriers will be putting pressure on Apple to pre-install their apps.

As the U2 incident showed people will find the slightest thing to bash Apple. They're held to a higher standard than most other companies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.