Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LixLev

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 18, 2007
Does anyone know when the embargo on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reviews ends and all the big websites starts posting their write ups and videos.

I know it's the same every year, but can't remember what day it has been in previous years.

recklesslife85

Cancelled
Sep 17, 2012
Does anyone know when the embargo on iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus reviews ends and all the big websites starts posting their write ups and videos.

I know it's the same every year, but can't remember what day it has been in previous years.

Was Tuesday last year some leaked out but sure it's Wednesday

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do they place the embargo to begin with?

Quu

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2007
Sorry if this is a dumb question but why do they place the embargo to begin with?

Control. Sites that usually give favorable reviews to Apple will receive an Apple unit to review. Those sites that receive a unit will know that all the other publications that also received a review unit cannot publish their review until a specific time so none of the publications feel rushed to be "first".

It also means that all the reviews will be hopefully fleshed out and not just a lousy first impression. That's better for Apple and potential review readers.

HiItsMe

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Control. Sites that usually give favorable reviews to Apple will receive an Apple unit to review. Those sites that receive a unit will know that all the other publications that also received a review unit cannot publish their review until a specific time so none of the publications feel rushed to be "first".

It also means that all the reviews will be hopefully fleshed out and not just a lousy first impression. That's better for Apple and potential review readers.

Thank you for the thoughtful response! Cheers! :)

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
This. The phone was just announced Tuesday. They need some time to put it through it's paces.

In other words- so that the reviews people read contain only what Apple wants them to say. IE: they will be a propaganda piece, if you will. ;)

sportello

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2014
In other words- so that the reviews people read contain only what Apple wants them to say. IE: they will be a propaganda piece, if you will. ;)

No, not really. It's just in hopes that reviewers will think before they speak. As someone lightly involved in the journalism industry, I can safely say ill-considered reviews would be everywhere, immediately, if there were no embargo.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
Whoever gets a review unit probably signs an Non-disclosure with an expiration date. If you release your review early, best case you don't get an eval iPhone next year. Worst case Apple sues you to oblivion. Their legal team is well honed from fighting with Samsung for years so you have no chance.

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
Tuesday 9:00PM EST was the iPhone 5S' embargo end time.

Source: Engadget's.

Attachments

• engadget.png
    engadget.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 65

sarcosis

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2006
These United States
Whoever gets a review unit probably signs an Non-disclosure with an expiration date. If you release your review early, best case you don't get an eval iPhone next year. Worst case Apple sues you to oblivion. Their legal team is well honed from fighting with Samsung for years so you have no chance.

That is indeed the case. NDA (a.k.a. Embargos) are common in the tech industry. Thats why you see a flood of coverage all of a sudden when the embargo is lifted. I believe it's going to be lifted tonight (Eastern time) around 11ish. I think that's what happened last year. I saw a tweet from David Pierce that indicates he's going to have a late night. Last time that happened, all the Moto Coverage went live. I believe tonight's Apple's turn tonight.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.