Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following the unveiling of Apple Pay last week, PayPal has gone on the offensive, taking out a full page ad in The New York Times that slams Apple for its recent iCloud photo leak while promoting PayPal's own security.

"We the people want our money safer than our selfies," reads the ad first shared by Pando Daily. "PayPal, protecting the people economy."

paypalantiapplead.jpg
The ad alludes to a recent attack on celebrity iCloud accounts, which saw hundreds of celebrity photos released on the Internet. Since the attack, Apple has gone to great lengths to point out that the leak was tied to weak usernames and passwords rather than an iCloud security breach, as the incident occurred just before plans to unveil Apple Pay.

The company released a public statement after an investigation, and then Tim Cook did an interview with The Wall Street Journal to let users know about plans to broaden the use of two-factor authentication and to send security emails when a device is restored, iCloud is accessed, or a password change is attempted.

On its Apple Pay website, Apple also goes into detail about the security of the service, pointing towards unique Device Account numbers, the iPhone's Secure Element, and the ability to put a phone in Lost Mode if it goes missing, protecting all information including payment data.

Apple also says that all transactions are private, as the company does not store any details at all. Payment information is also directly stored on a device (within the Secure Element) and not in iCloud, making it inaccessible from a remote location.
Apple doesn't save your transaction information. With Apple Pay, your payments are private. Apple doesn't store the details of your transactions so they can't be tied back to you. Your most recent purchases are kept in Passbook for your convenience, but that's as far as it goes.
It's no surprise that PayPal has launched an ad that subtly attacks Apple as it is facing significant competition from the company. In addition to allowing users to make purchases in retail stores with their iPhones, Apple Pay also lets users buy items in supported apps using a credit card or debit card connected with an iTunes account.

PayPal works in a very similar way, letting users attach a credit or debit card and then make purchases through the service, alleviating the need to enter credit card details. Major credit card companies, banks, and multiple retailers are also already on board with Apple Pay.

App developers have been instructed to use several different payment platforms in their APIs, including Authorize.Net, Chase Paymentech, CyberSource, First Data, Stripe, and TSYS. Noticeably absent is PayPal, though the service's credit card processing subsidiary, Braintree, has pledged support for Apple Pay.

PayPal has had its own security issues in recent months, most recently facing a significant problem with its two-factor authentication system.

Article Link: PayPal Launches Ad Subtly Attacking Apple for Recent iCloud Photo Leak

xizdun

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
F___ PayPal.

Only reason I use PayPal is due to a lack of a decent alternative. PayPal sucks, everybody knows this.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Oh the irony...

The amount of time Paypal freezes money for "security reviews" and other BS is just too damn high.
The safety of speedy delivery when needed? Not with Paypal when they chose your transaction as one of those they think they need to look at.
Right...

Also, they force me to not use two-factor authentication if I want to use their mobile app.

Back to the drawing board, Paypal.

Glassed Silver:mac

AstronomyiPhone

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2013
Maryland
Weak passwords + popular target = you're going to be "hacked" (more like compromised), regardless of the platform.

Last edited:

AppleSOS

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2014
Ohio
Could Apple not sue them for libel at this point? It's been said enough times that it was a user-end breach, not an iCloud vulnerability, so clamoring on about Apple having weak security when there is substantial evidence to the contrary seems like defamation to me.

Last edited:

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
I remember the good old days when people kind of cared about PayPal.

Then September 9th came along and not a ***** was given.

Last edited:

Screwtape

macrumors regular
May 10, 2009
Didn't eBay/PayPal get hacked not too long ago? You know, actually hacked and not targeted phishing?

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
I remember the good old days when people kind of cared about PayPal.

Then September 9th came along...

By "kind of cared" you mean hated to use for buying or selling...

PayPal used to be a hack-of -the-week security joke too. I suppose they've almost cleaned up... So that means they act like a bad credit card company with no consumer protection or perks.

jm001

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
The main benefit of ApplePay was for NFC payments at brick and mortar locations. I'm not sure why PayPal would be so nervous as to do attack ads on Apple since they operate solely on online transactions. Sure ApplePay can be used online, but PayPal is more prevalent and offered as an option in many many more places. I use PayPal and have no problem with them buying things online. In fact I prefer to use them for online payments. Now I can't wait when ApplePay becomes available in Canada, but I believe the two can co-exist quite well. So chill PayPal baby baby chill.

superram1234

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2014
All these attacks on apple not only reflect unprofessionally upon the company, they also show how apple is going to send waves in monopolies of bad products such as mobile payment and the Phablet category. Can't wait for my iphone 6

Zorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 14, 2006
Ohio
Yeah I agree; **** Paypal. "We the people" really? This is the same scumbag company that charges people high fees on their auctions, then *forces* them to use their own payment method (Paypal) and charges them a fee on that as well.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I never thought I'd say this ... But seriously ****** PayPal ! They won't help me with a transaction dispute because it's out of the 45 Day purchase window .

Screw that . I'm really ticked off .

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
PayPal is to fraudsters\scammers\criminals as a school playground is to a pedophile.

It makes me laugh when PayPal mentions security. One time they sent me a payment for an eBay auction and the "Confirmed\Verified" address was: 1 Street, Anytown, USA" ... seriously?!?!?!

I LOATHE PayPal, and welcome anyone who can dethrone them for online payments.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.