Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ModernMosis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
Hello,

Something hit my screen causing damage to the internal in my screen. I was quoted at $495 from a local repair shop to replace the entire screen. I just wanted some other input on whether this seems reasonable.

Thanks

MacInTO

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2005
Canada, eh!
Hello,

Something hit my screen causing damage to the internal in my screen. I was quoted at $495 from a local repair shop to replace the entire screen. I just wanted some other input on whether this seems reasonable.

Thanks
It seems reasonable. I'm sure they have to get it from Apple. Go to Apple and see what they will charge you. Most of the cost is the screen. I had mine replaced recently and it took less than an hour to replace it.

If you don't want to pay that much, you can always see if there is one for cheap on eBay and do it yourself.

lcseds

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2006
NC, USA
Is it still under warranty? If so, if you use an authorized service center then the replacement screen will carry the remaining warranty as the notebook. LCD's from other sources usually have 30 or 90 day warranty, and Apple will not replace it if you get a line on the LCD or some such in the future. Something to consider if you bought Applecare and have a ways to go.

ModernMosis

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2012
It seems reasonable. I'm sure they have to get it from Apple. Go to Apple and see what they will charge you. Most of the cost is the screen. I had mine replaced recently and it took less than an hour to replace it.

If you don't want to pay that much, you can always see if there is one for cheap on eBay and do it yourself.

I have been looking for DIY kits and the price seems just about $100 less than my quote. To me i would rather pay the $100 to be sure it is done right, since these retina MacBooks are so damn complicated. I will defiantly get a quote from apple, I just got scared because everything i read is that apple would charge me $700-$900.

Here's $100 in savings. Haven't done a lot of research on this place, just a google result, so do some research beforehand.

http://www.missionrepair.com/MacBook_Pro_15_RETINA_DISPLAY_Repair_p/222-6316.htm
Thanks, I'll take a look!

Is it still under warranty? If so, if you use an authorized service center then the replacement screen will carry the remaining warranty as the notebook. LCD's from other sources usually have 30 or 90 day warranty, and Apple will not replace it if you get a line on the LCD or some such in the future. Something to consider if you bought Applecare and have a ways to go.

Sadly my macbook's warranty is expired so at this point its just about who can do it for the least amount of money. I still have no idea what happened to it. I woke up and the screen was broken. I knew back when i bought the laptop i should buy applecare but I was lazy and stupid. :/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.