Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 10, 2006
I've been noticing more and more users taking their avatars and adjusting the space around them to match the forum color background. I just wanted to say that I approve of this trend :D and I think more people should do it! I did it using the Paint app from the App store... just use color grab to get the exact color and then click away til it's perfect :)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Of course, that color won't be consistent across every platform on which people view the site, so it's best to just use a transparent background as mentioned above. This may be difficult in free image manipulation programs.

Some really innovative people even have these animated GIF things as avatars! :eek:;)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I've been noticing more and more users taking their avatars and adjusting the space around them to match the forum color background. I just wanted to say that I approve of this trend :D and I think more people should do it! I did it using the Paint app from the App store... just use color grab to get the exact color and then click away til it's perfect :)

Thanks for the tip. Here are color values for the grey background if it helps anybody.

jkhtoTf.png

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
How would one go about doing that? Every time I uploaded a transparent avatar it turned the transparent bits white. Just resorted to colour-matching it in the end.

Same here. Mine was transparent background and turned white when I uploaded. Ended up just matching the background.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I wonder if it's not so much a trend but that some people are just using images with transparent backgrounds.

I can't figure out how to make an acceptable avatar with a transparent background. Is the only format that MR accepts for images having transparencies, .gif images ?

The avatar looks good as a 75 x 75 pixel .jpg image but doesn't look nearly as good as a 75 x 75 .gif image (Has MR considered going to a 150 x 150 pixel avatar ?) .

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I can't figure out how to make an acceptable avatar with a transparent background. Is the only format that MR accepts for images having transparencies, .gif images ?

The avatar looks good as a 75 x 75 pixel .jpg image but doesn't look nearly as good as a 75 x 75 .gif image (Has MR considered going to a 150 x 150 pixel avatar ?) .

I think, and I'm not completely sure, but .gif, .jpg and .png are all allowable file types to be used.

As far as upping the dimensions of avatar's that's an Arn and admin thing to decide.

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
I think, and I'm not completely sure, but .gif, .jpg and .png are all allowable file types to be used.

As far as upping the dimensions of avatar's that's an Arn and admin thing to decide.

Thank you for the help !!!

The .png format was one of the few I didn't try for transparencies in my avatar and it worked :D.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.