Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Anybody else fearing the dozens of coworkers asking to fondle your new phone on Friday? I know some people like the attention, but I just want to enjoy my phone in peace. I tend to baby my stuff and can't stand grubby hands carelessly fumbling with my pristine iPhone.

I already have a feeling that by the end of the day Friday, my phone is going to be tainted with stupid office photos, random outgoing calls and smudges from greasy faces.

I feel like calling in sick...

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
Hmmmm your life sounds really tough..... how about you DON'T show anyone and they won't "taint" your phone.

Is this really an issue for you? If it is may I suggest you re-prioritize your life and worry about more important issues... it's a phone after all.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Never really bothered me. Most people I know are respectful enough to not damage it or use it with dirty hands. So I don't mind letting them play around a bit

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
Anybody else fearing the dozens of coworkers asking to fondle your new phone on Friday? I know some people like the attention, but I just want to enjoy my phone in peace. I tend to baby my stuff and can't stand grubby hands carelessly fumbling with my pristine iPhone.

I already have a feeling that by the end of the day Friday, my phone is going to be tainted with stupid office photos, random outgoing calls and smudges from greasy faces.

Good grief. Keep you toy in your pocket.

What are schools doing to our youth these days?

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Just say

"no because if you drop it you won't pay for it/any damage"

they will reply "I won't drop it"

you reply "that wasn't what I said/asked"

end of conversation, ball firmly in their court.

Tried and developed over time when people at cash tills or service points wanted to hold my iPhone to scan something.

I prefer to say pay for it meaning the whole value of the device. I sometimes add the full retail price when saying this. "no cause you won't pay for it if you drop it, this is £800"

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
Just when you thought these threads couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Thanks OP.

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
I am going to a wedding that exact night and am DREADING it! I don't even want to take out my phone haha.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
When the iPhone 4 came out, I had my phone on the table this guy walks over, without asking, picks up my phone and starts playing with it. I didn't realize this at this point. Then he asks me if I know why the text messages are all in English!

I definitely wasn't happy!

phobic99

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2008
I am going to a wedding that exact night and am DREADING it! I don't even want to take out my phone haha.

You're dreading going to a wedding because you don't want people to notice you have a new iPhone?

I wish I had your life. :(

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I don't have this sort of problem because I don't hand my phone over to people to look at, much like I don't hand my leather wallet over for people to go through all my cards.

I will happily demo it myself, however nobody will be playing with it. :)

Maetzle

macrumors 6502
Jun 2, 2014
Keep your phone in your pocket, use it when you are by yourself like on a bathroom break.

But I guess some people need the attention...

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK

So don't tell them you have it! Simple.

Shikaka

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2014
Rule #1 of the early adopters club, don't advertise.

I've been carrying my iPhone 6+ wood mock-up to work with me everyday for the past week; practicing how to covertly retrieve it from my pocket to make phone calls.

I don't think I'll have any problems flying under the radar. At least until a few other ppl get their phones next month.

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
I've been carrying my iPhone 6+ wood mock-up to work with me everyday for the past week; practicing how to covertly retrieve it from my pocket to make phone calls.

I don't think I'll have any problems flying under the radar. At least until a few other ppl get their phones next month.

Oh I see, this is not a serious thread.

OutSpoken

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
UK
Just when you thought these threads couldn't get any more ridiculous.

Thanks OP.

lmao, that's what I thought.

It's like the thread I saw on here yesterday.. about someone fearing getting jumped/robbed from leaving the store with their new iPhone6... seriously?!? Not to say it's an impossible scenario, but c'mon man..

Having that kind of attitude probably makes you a target for lowlife individuals like that..

Henke

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
lmao, that's what I thought.

It's like the thread I saw on here yesterday.. about someone fearing getting jumped/robbed from leaving the store with their new iPhone6... seriously?!? Not to say it's an impossible scenario, but c'mon man..

Having that kind of attitude probably makes you a target for lowlife individuals like that..

Its a phone,not my life savings. Its a bit like not wanting anyone to sit on your car seats,its really not something anyone should contemplate over inmo.

iMatt.

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2010
Cupertino
So don't tell them you have it! Simple.

If that was the case, he wouldn't have ordered one for launch day. He wants to be one of the first to get it, in order to show off and have a sense of superiority, yet doesn't want people to touch it? Maybe he should sit on his gold throne and let his co-workers worship his feet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.