Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ThinkSecret reports that the first Intel-based iBooks are now slated to appear in March.

The rumor site claims that the current 12" and 14" iBooks are to be End-of-Life'd at the end of March, making way for widescreen 13.3" iBooks. ThinkSecret notes that the Core Solo processor is due at near the same time, suggesting that it may power Apple's consumer notebook. Previous reports pointed to "Spring" or 2nd Quarter 2006 for the Intel iBook. A 13" widescreen form factor, however, has been a consistent theme for the iBook revision.

The new iBook is reported to use a significantly different enclosure. One earlier rumor claimed "light-weight stylish" designs for 2006.

Meanwhile, they echo reports from UBS analysts that Apple may replace the iPod shuffle with a new nano, and also expectations of an Apple media center and possibly an Apple Phone.

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Headline reads "Intel iMacs in March" but should read "Intel iBooks in March."

We already have the iMacs...

EDIT: fixed...

macgeek2005

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2006
According to that article we will be seeing Intel iBooks sooner than expected. I hope it will be the same with the Mac Pro.

yankeefan24

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2005
NYC
maybe they'll update the MBP to include a 13". Seems nice. My cell phone contract ends sometime around then, but verizon having an iphone is unlikely. Earlier is better IMO. I just want a core duo in it (unlikely i know).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
oooh I can't wait. But "end of march" really isn't big news since they were previously expected in april... which is probably when they will ship anyway.

richdun

macrumors member
Sep 7, 2005
yankeefan24 said:
I just want a core duo in it (unlikely i know).

Duo would be nice, but has already made way for using a Single somewhere - the requirements for iWork 06 are "A Macintosh computer with a 500-MHz or faster PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel Core processor"

I'd imagine they'd say "Intel Core Duo processor" if they never meant to use the Single.

guffman

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2006
richdun said:
Duo would be nice, but has already made way for using a Single somewhere - the requirements for iWork 06 are "A Macintosh computer with a 500-MHz or faster PowerPC G4, G5, or Intel Core processor"

I'd imagine they'd say "Intel Core Duo processor" if they never meant to use the Single.

While I think that it will use a Solo, I think you're trying to read too much into the above statement from Apple....

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The rumors are familiar, but at least we are starting to get some ideas about the dates.

In the meantime, I'm curious to see how rumors of End-of-Life'ing affect people's purchase plans.

rimrocka07011

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2006
Cleveland, OH
New MacBooks...

Great... I'd love to see a 13.3" widescreen iBook with a new form factor. Although I am no longer in the market for a new computer (see sig), I'm sure this iBook revision will be heartily welcomed (and heavily criticized, for that matter) by all Mac enthusiasts. Go Apple!

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
Its starting to look like as soon as intel starts mass producing their chips, Apple releases the corresponding computer to go with them. Just seems to me that Apple is just waiting for intel to make an announcement before they can. At least it gives a good indication when Apple will relese their new computers.

But if its going to be mid or late March I think they would probably just wait till April 1st for their 30th anniversary.

andysmith

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2004
West Mids, UK
Dr. Dastardly said:
Its starting to look like as soon as intel starts mass producing their chips, Apple releases the corresponding computer to go with them. Just seems to me that Apple is just waiting for intel to make an announcement before they can. At least it gives a good indication when Apple will relese their new computers.

But if its going to be mid or late March I think they would probably just wait till April 1st for their 30th anniversary.
Last Tuesday in March ;) :D

Plecky

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2005
Last Tuesday of March Indeed!

I agree, last tuesday in March leading up to the one year annivesary that Saturday. I just have a feeling, a doubt if you will, that them having a announcement, unveiling, huge show, etc. on a Saturday is unlikely (especially since its not a "businessday" and wouldn't get as much press until the following monday and wallstreet etc. But the tuesday before at the soonest and the tuesday after at the latest, and obviously I say tuesday because that seems to be there "day" and I think they'll keep with the tradition although a different day would be a suprise although they generally save the other days of the weeks for minor announcments these days it seems and do the big ones (which I would considor this to be, new MacBooks and all...) happen on tuesdays. So I'm placing my bets on that last tuesday of March with shipping in April (or shipping that day with delivery in April?). At least it should give me a month of playtime with the MacBook Pro, hopefully whatever's unveiled won't make my MBP obsolete in a Month (aka a MacTablet Pro or something else new and amazing and the biggest thing for Apple since the iPod, so on and so forth).

LACOSTE

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2006
Australia
would they release it days before the April 1 30th anniv?

hmmm if they release it early, wouldnt that steal the thunder of the eagerly awaited 30th anniv event?

i'd expect the iBook to be the 30th anniv mac... the innovation is that desktop pc's are becoming less popular... portables are the new computing marvel of the past 10 yrs... (they announced 2003 as the yr of the notebook).

probably a tablet, that is half the thickness of the current iBook... which may or may not ship with a special designed portable wireless keyboard/ trackpad or mouse... wireless version of the mighty mouse

and the apple phone? hmmm apple would prove to be competent in that arena, but for longterm success they must offer something that is not quickly superseded. Current phones on offer are too quickly superseded maybe 3-6 months. Another thing, i think that when they do introduce a phone equiv, they will fit it in their iPod line... may be a few yrs from now. It would sell better if its called the "apple iPod phone" rather than "iPhone". But due to the recent naming of apple products like the not so mighty "mighty mouse" or the stutter wrong-sounded "MacBook Pro"... does apple really care about name? as long as they have the "Mac" in there.

iBook is coming soon no matter what...

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
Just to be clear, Thinksecret don't know jack. They've been off the mark the last few go-arounds.

I wouldn't put much faith into this report, especially the bit about Core Solos which they're simply speculating on. As many have noted on this forum, the Solos are pretty expensive. If Apple is to hit the $999 price point, a full grand less than the least expensive MBP, they're gonna have to save a lot more on the processor. We're looking at a Celeron, folks.

Anyways, what I found interesting in the story is the UBS analyst lowering their Mac unit shipment estimates for the quarter, while upping the target stock price to $100(!!!). So, based on their research, customers are holding off on their purchases until the software is ready. "It's the software, stupid!" is basically the message.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I've long assumed Core Solo would dictate the iBook's replacement schedule.

(And for those who think Apple must use Core Duo because the savings with Solo is small: if Solo makes sense for anyone, it makes sense for Apple too. Any savings helps lower the entry-level cost of a Mac laptop, as well as defining Pro vs. non if necessary.)

As for other rumors from analysts... are they doing anything more than just guessing what might "make sense in the market," from an outsider's perspective? Unless they have inside sources, I'll have some salt.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Excellent, I was hoping for new iBooks in April, but March will be even better! Can't wait to see what Apple does in terms of redesign and features. :cool:

man2525

macrumors newbie
May 3, 2004
Orlando, FL
Different Colors

I hope that this is part of what they mean by stylish. Sony has a product line of Vaio notebooks that can be purchased in different colors. The blue ones and the green ones are almost always sold out. It is almost scandalous that the computer industry hasn't yet caught up to 80 year old ideas from the automotive industry. We know that the iBook is reliable and functional. Make it interesting, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.