Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erkanasu

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
holy ****, the prices skyrocked on crucial( went from $115 - $175)! I want to boost my new macbook pro( when it arrives) from 512 - 1.5 gb, so I need a cheap 1 gig stick. Im sure lots of us are in the same boat. Anyone find 1 gig sticks cheap (no crap brands)?!?! please post some links

-paul

mac.head.high

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2005
Los Angeles
Check out New Egg. I bought 8 gigs of Crucial RAM for my G5 there for much cheaper than Crucial actually sells it. With 2 day shipping and taxes it came to 764. They are just about the cheapest on the web for RAM. Also, I once bought a NEC dual-layer internal DVD burning drive there for 43 dollars. So yeah.

Otherwise I would check Crucial. They make/sell a grip of memory to some of the biggest names. As well, they guarantee compatibility with whatever you Mac model is.

http://www.newegg.com

http://www.crucial.com

watchmainspring

macrumors 65816
Jan 2, 2005
Boston
I got the data systems memory for 108 each, :cool:

I bought them as soon as I heard about them.

The price is INSANE now adays. It's like everyone thinks they can get like 15-70 dollars more profit just because!

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
mac.head.high said:
Check out New Egg. I bought 8 gigs of Crucial RAM for my G5 there for much cheaper than Crucial actually sells it. With 2 day shipping and taxes it came to 764. They are just about the cheapest on the web for RAM. Also, I once bought a NEC dual-layer internal DVD burning drive there for 43 dollars. So yeah.

Otherwise I would check Crucial. They make/sell a grip of memory to some of the biggest names. As well, they guarantee compatibility with whatever you Mac model is.

And if you buy it from NewEgg, Crucial do NOT guarantee compatibility, because NewEgg only sell the generic Crucial part numbers -- so you take the job of testing for compatibility on yourself. May work, may not, depending on the Mac model and the RAM offered. I am also critical of any company that allows for charging you 15% restocking fee if you want your money back on incompatible RAM.

mac.head.high

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2005
Los Angeles
CanadaRAM said:
And if you buy it from NewEgg, Crucial do NOT guarantee compatibility, because NewEgg only sell the generic Crucial part numbers -- so you take the job of testing for compatibility on yourself. May work, may not, depending on the Mac model and the RAM offered. I am also critical of any company that allows for charging you 15% restocking fee if you want your money back on incompatible RAM.

True. If you buy Crucial RAM from New Egg, Crucial will not guarantee it's compatibility. But before I spent a lot of money, I spoke to Crucial 2 times specifically to make sure that the RAM New Egg is selling IS EXACTLY THE SAME. The only difference is the product number. Crucial is wired that way. They have multiple product numbers for the same RAM. The only reason for that is they have product numbers for each hardware company. So the same exact RAM has two product numbers. One for PC's and one for Mac. It's just for categorization purposes.

It tripped me out, but I made sure that it was the same. I'm worrier so it was important to me that I was getting a compatible product.

Good luck in your endeavors.

homerjward

macrumors 68030
May 11, 2004
fig tree
fwiw i've returned to memory to newegg...very easy but had to pay a 15% restocking fee. and yes, my exact line wsa "it didnt work in my computer." no questions asked. and i suppose if you buy uber-cheap ram twice to get the right stuff, even with the fee it's still cheaper :cool:

:eek:

Vaglin

macrumors newbie
Jan 17, 2006
Hi Guys

has anyone had any problems using Kingston ram in their intel macs?

Thanks

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Vaglin said:
Hi Guys

Thanks

I've used kingston memory before and got burnt.. In fact the only probelms I've ever encountered with memory in macs came from the kingston mem I used.. Since that day I've alway's used CRUCIAL and found them to be perfect, no trouble at all with any of my computers..

Obviously my experience may not be indicative of the quality of Kingston in general...

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
AJBMatrix said:
I found a guy that sold me 2 x 1GB for 80 per stick of Crucial. It as all he had left but I found it from his ebay store. Brand new and never used.

EDIT: I just looked back at his ebay store...well he has some left if anyone wants it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...2&viewitem=&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1
He is advertising a generic chip in this auction, not Crucial.
Auction terms have somewhat predatory shipping prices - US$15 for two RAM modules sent through US Mail to US destination.

The Kingston KTA-MB667/1G isthe correct model for the MacBook Pro.

Any Kingston ValueRAM KVR- series RAM is iffy in a Mac, and as noted in a previous post, it is not indicitive of Kingston's quality that their generic ValueRAM doesn't work -- Kingston never intended for it to be used in Macs.

psibe

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2006
erkanasu said:
I want to boost my new macbook pro( when it arrives) from 512 - 1.5 gb
-paul

I would want to do the same thing, but if I get applecare with my Mackbook Pro, would this void it?

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
psibe said:
I would want to do the same thing, but if I get applecare with my Mackbook Pro, would this void it?

FYI, a search (or a new thread as a last resort) would have been a better option than dragging up a six month old thread.

But no, upgrading RAM is a do-it-yourself project. It does not void the standard warranty or AppleCare unless you really screw up the rest of your computer in the process, which is pretty hard to do. (i.e. Don't use a blowtorch at any point in the process of installing RAM.)

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
Crucial sucks!!!

mac.head.high said:
True. If you buy Crucial RAM from New Egg, Crucial will not guarantee it's compatibility. But before I spent a lot of money, I spoke to Crucial 2 times specifically to make sure that the RAM New Egg is selling IS EXACTLY THE SAME. The only difference is the product number. Crucial is wired that way. They have multiple product numbers for the same RAM. The only reason for that is they have product numbers for each hardware company. So the same exact RAM has two product numbers. One for PC's and one for Mac. It's just for categorization purposes.

It tripped me out, but I made sure that it was the same. I'm worrier so it was important to me that I was getting a compatible product.

Good luck in your endeavors.
Please take your time and check this thread and then decide if it is worth getting any RAM from Crucial. Try OWC or Datamem.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/218162/

Locatel

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2006
erkanasu said:
holy ****, the prices skyrocked on crucial( went from $115 - $175)! I want to boost my new macbook pro( when it arrives) from 512 - 1.5 gb, so I need a cheap 1 gig stick. Im sure lots of us are in the same boat. Anyone find 1 gig sticks cheap (no crap brands)?!?! please post some links

-paul
Believe me, depending on the browser or machine you use to access Crucial online, you'll get different prices for the same memory module...
Take your time and check this thread...
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/218162/

PHONIK535

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
I was looking to bump my RAM in my Pro up to 4 gigs and i purchase two 2gig sticks by Transcend (jm667qsu-2g)....and i am not pleased at all.....i use my mac book to run multiple audio programs live on stage...i'm a dj.....and about one hour into my the computer started to glitch and i totally lost sound....horrible...

it seems that this is a tell tale sign of bad , low end RAM......is Transcend not the greatest match for my macbook pro intel......its less than 6 months old......i have not really had running these programs with the 2 gigs it came with, but i am just really trying to ensure my saftey up on stage ya know......it came with Micron from Mac...should i just stick with that brand?? or can someone recommend something better.?

thanks again....

a novice in need of help!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.