Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobreborn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
So, bunnspecial is an amazing user on here and mailed me some RAM to test this quad G5 I've been trying to get working.

I throw the sticks in and it boots up to the screen flashing to let me know that the HDD I had installed I forgot to Restore the Leopard Partition so I could install. No problem.

However once I do that properly I now have a G5 that Chimes and nice hello followed immediately by 3 beeps and thunder jets. =( I even unplugged the HDD entirely so there wasn't one and same thing happens.

What did I do?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There's a little PMU reset button on the logicboard near the ram slots. Press it one and only one time for 5 seconds.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
3 flashes means that no RAM banks passed memory testing.

What memory do you have, and in which slots?
Good test is to try one single, matched pair (same size and maker) in the center slots - no other memory installed.
Make sure that both sticks are seated. Seat, remove and reseat, twice.
Just to make sure - center pair of slots are the bottom slot in the top bank, and the top slot in the bottom bank. I think that each slot is labeled "1".
No other memory in any other slot for this test.

bobreborn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
OK I found a little tiny guy and pressed it and it booted back up. Now I just have to figure out why

a) the LED on my mouse only flashes before turning off
b) why it's not detecting the boot install partition that is the same one I used on a dual G5 1 week ago.

yipskidoo! :D progress!

What would I have done in making that reseat+button press necessary?

Thanks!

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Bumped it maybe. Let's hope you don't have to apply that fix again. Having to keep doing that is a sign that something else is broken or bad.

bobreborn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
OK. So I had to do it again to install (turns out the HDD wanted to be on the top plugs not the bottom) and then went through the install...got into Leopard... and about 3 minutes in the fans kicked in, system froze and had to hard shut down.

Restart and back to 3 beeps =(

Threw the memory in slot 2 and pushed button and now I'm up and running - we'll see how long. Odds of just having a bad slot 1? What does that button do?

Last edited:

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
The button resets the power management system within the G5. It basically resets it as much as it can on a hardware level.

CYB3RBYTE

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2014
Midwest
The reset button is a last resort before you start thinking about much worse potential problems. If only it solved every problem like yours! :)

bobreborn

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 30, 2014
OK, it seems to have been the RAM slot1's (the inner most). Using Slot 2 seems ok. Is there an AHT for these guys so I can maybe have it test everything out? Tell me which slots are bad? maybe PCI slots too?

I only have the install on a partition of the HDD. It's what I used to install Leopard on the other bigger partition.

weckart

macrumors 603
Nov 7, 2004
I would google for the Apple Service Diagnostic disc for your model. Those have more thorough hardware tests - particularly for memory, although if it does not see the memory, it will possibly report the system as working normally with the bank of RAM as empty.

AHTs are pretty much useless IMHO. I have a Mac Mini with a dead lower RAM slot and it passes all the AHT tests.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.