Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
I have a Facebook account for about three years now, which is considered tardy to Facebook overall but I treat the medium quite differently than most as I only post about twice a year, and always only in September (for some reason).

This isn't intentional, it's just something I've noticed. More in depth, it's around September that I either started school or I've noticed myself relocating around the country so I'll dump a photo album onto Facebook with a years worth of events. (And even then I try to limit what u post)

As luck would have it, there is one particular photo I would love to include in my 2014 album set but this particular photo may upset some people, only simply because of the relationship dynamic of the people the photo..... But it's still such an awesome photo. I need this to be posted in my photo albums so friends can see it (whether immediately, or months from now as they stalk me).

At first I thought, what if I uploaded the photo, deleted my Facebook and reactivated it a week later... Wouldn't that prevent people from seeing this uploaded photo on their feed?

Then I thought perhaps I should just upload the photo and find how to restrict from anyone seeing it. Perhaps I could set this particular photo to "only me" and then change it to 'friends' in a few weeks.

Any help is appreciated.

Random question I know, but a pressing issue nonetheless.

HappyDude20

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jul 13, 2008
Los Angeles, Ca
In no way a drunk photo or anything of that sort.
Rather than lambasting me, as I expected..

I'm just asking for help.

This picture is too precious to not be posted and be kept hidden in an iPhoto album for years to come.

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
If you want a limited set up of friends to see it, make a group or a list, include said friends into the new group/list, and upload it with the permissions set to that specific group/list.

A group is a specific invited set of friends with a self contained set of content, and it can be set private, you can also simply create a list, which is like a filter to limit which of your friends sees a post (assuming the post/photo/etc has been set with the appropriate permissions).

mobilehaathi

macrumors G3
Aug 19, 2008
The Anthropocene
I'll ask you seriously, "why?"

When did MacRumors get so b*tchy? Oh wait, 2013-ish.

I'm asking a real question and am getting nothing but opposite advice.

Dude, you expressed concern about the consequences of posting the picture, so I offered you a simple solution. If you don't want to take that advice, good for you, but don't claim I'm being bitchy or unhelpful.

BTW your only justification for wanting to post the picture is that it is "such an awesome photo" and is "too precious to not be posted."

That sounds like a bunch of ********.

Post the picture because that's what you want. Don't try to hide from the consequences: the people you don't want to see it almost certainly will anyway.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I have a Facebook account for about three years now, which is considered tardy to Facebook overall but I treat the medium quite differently than most as I only post about twice a year, and always only in September (for some reason).

This isn't intentional, it's just something I've noticed. More in depth, it's around September that I either started school or I've noticed myself relocating around the country so I'll dump a photo album onto Facebook with a years worth of events. (And even then I try to limit what u post)

As luck would have it, there is one particular photo I would love to include in my 2014 album set but this particular photo may upset some people, only simply because of the relationship dynamic of the people the photo..... But it's still such an awesome photo. I need this to be posted in my photo albums so friends can see it (whether immediately, or months from now as they stalk me).

At first I thought, what if I uploaded the photo, deleted my Facebook and reactivated it a week later... Wouldn't that prevent people from seeing this uploaded photo on their feed?

Then I thought perhaps I should just upload the photo and find how to restrict from anyone seeing it. Perhaps I could set this particular photo to "only me" and then change it to 'friends' in a few weeks.

Any help is appreciated.

Random question I know, but a pressing issue nonetheless.

I would just try Googling around for the answer. Sadly you won't find much help here.

FWIW I've tried to do this before (I just wanted to change my profile picture without alerting everyone in my Newsfeed because it can be obnxious/annoying when people change their profile picture multiple times in a short period of time). I simply uploaded the picture, then quickly went on to my own profile, found the new post on my timeline, clicked in the upper right corner, selected "Hide from my Timeline" thinking that if I hid it from my Timeline that it would also hide it from the Newsfeed. That didn't appear to be the case though - so don't try that approach, lol.

MICHAELSD

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
NJ
When it appears as a post in your feed, set the visibility to "only me." Doing it this way will keep it in your photo gallery for friends to see but it won't appear in their feed.

^ Was that so hard, few posters?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
OP...first, next time you want a question answered perhaps you should omit the long story that includes what appears to be a bunch of juvenile crud. You have been around here long enough and posted some truly interesting (for lack of better words) threads. You should know by now how these things work around here. First you get opinions then you get help, mostly.

So you have an awesome photo that is sooooo precious and you want to post it but not for all to see. It's online, all will see it somehow if they want to. But to answer your question, if you post the photo in an album you will only be able to edit the album privacy itself. If you want the photo on your FB but with limited audiences, then you need to upload it outside the album. Based on how awesome and precious the secret photo is and how incredibly life-altering it will be if it is not on Facebook, I suggest uploading the photo as a single upload and then you'll know it is there. It sounds like having it online and limiting the viewers is more important than having it in the actual album.

I am 100% with mobilehaathi though and I don't think you should ask for help here again if you're going to insult people. It's f'ed up.

I would just try Googling around for the answer. Sadly you won't find much help here.

FWIW I've tried to do this before (I just wanted to change my profile picture without alerting everyone in my Newsfeed because it can be obnxious/annoying when people change their profile picture multiple times in a short period of time). I simply uploaded the picture, then quickly went on to my own profile, found the new post on my timeline, clicked in the upper right corner, selected "Hide from my Timeline" thinking that if I hid it from my Timeline that it would also hide it from the Newsfeed. That didn't appear to be the case though - so don't try that approach, lol.

That is absolute ********. Clearly you're not reading any of the posts here nor any posts throughout the site. While this site as a whole can be just as judgmental and stupid as any other web forum, it is not unhelpful. I am not bias either as I have an open question posted in another forum without a single reply. Though it would suggest this forum is unhelpful I simply think not a single soul is capable of helping me. It happens. So F that if you think this site is unhelpful.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
This picture is too precious to not be posted and be kept hidden in an iPhoto album for years to come.

Then post it. You're not responsible for other people's thin skins.

However, more directly to your question - here's how you do it:

Post the picture. Now, on your timeline, above the post, look for this icon:

6Vf9CvF.png

Click it and select "Custom."

Then you'll get this screen:

IDhSo2N.png

Then you can choose whom to share with and whom to exclude.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
OP...first, next time you want a question answered perhaps you should omit the long story that includes what appears to be a bunch of juvenile crud. You have been around here long enough and posted some truly interesting (for lack of better words) threads. You should know by now how these things work around here. First you get opinions then you get help, mostly.

So you have an awesome photo that is sooooo precious and you want to post it but not for all to see. It's online, all will see it somehow if they want to. But to answer your question, if you post the photo in an album you will only be able to edit the album privacy itself. If you want the photo on your FB but with limited audiences, then you need to upload it outside the album. Based on how awesome and precious the secret photo is and how incredibly life-altering it will be if it is not on Facebook, I suggest uploading the photo as a single upload and then you'll know it is there. It sounds like having it online and limiting the viewers is more important than having it in the actual album.

I am 100% with mobilehaathi though and I don't think you should ask for help here again if you're going to insult people. It's f'ed up.

That is absolute ********. Clearly you're not reading any of the posts here nor any posts throughout the site. While this site as a whole can be just as judgmental and stupid as any other web forum, it is not unhelpful. I am not bias either as I have an open question posted in another forum without a single reply. Though it would suggest this forum is unhelpful I simply think not a single soul is capable of helping me. It happens. So F that if you think this site is unhelpful.

WOW. Take it easy. NEVER did I say that this site/forum is unhelpful. All I said is that he wouldn't get the help he wanted in regards to this topic, as was evident with all the posts before mine.

I've actually found this forum to be extremely helpful and entertaining over the past several years.

----------

Then post it. You're not responsible for other people's thin skins.

However, more directly to your question - here's how you do it:

Post the picture. Now, on your timeline, above the post, look for this icon:

Click it and select "Custom."

Then you'll get this screen:

Then you can choose whom to share with and whom to exclude.

I *think* all this will do is regulate who can/can't see the picture when they navigate to your page. It won't necessarily stop if from showing up in the Newsfeed. It might limit the Newsfeed exposure to those that you choose to share the photo with, but as a whole it won't stop it from showing up in the Newsfeed. I think the point is to make the picture accessible to everyone on his friends list, but prevent it from showing up at all in the Newsfeed.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
You can try making the album completely private, tossing the photo in there, then making the album open to your friends.

Theoretically, it should be in the album but should not pop in the newsfeed since you uploaded it to a private album.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
You can try making the album completely private, tossing the photo in there, then making the album open to your friends.

Theoretically, it should be in the album but should not pop in the newsfeed since you uploaded it to a private album.

That actually sounds like a viable option.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
OP, you have to realize that if you ask for help in a lightly moderated, choosy public forum with a bunch of fickle people popping in and out with overinflated opinions of their own opinions, you're bound to get some unfriendly responses.

fwiw I didn't think your tone was bad at all.

WOW. Take it easy. NEVER did I say that this site/forum is unhelpful. All I said is that he wouldn't get the help he wanted in regards to this topic, as was evident with all the posts before mine.

I've actually found this forum to be extremely helpful and entertaining over the past several years.

On the internet, people can be whatever they want to be. I think you'll agree it's amazing that so many people choose to be bitchy. Nobody has patience these days.

That being the case, most people on MR are helpful when it comes to more technological, hardware and software-based questions. I've had a ton of help on here over the years. :)

ScottishDuck

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
Argyll, Scotland
I don't understand why the replies in this thread are so negative. Facebook privacy controls are now very robust and this is a valid question with a simple answer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.