Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Krudetunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
Hi forum,

Got myself a new iMac 21.5(Late 2013) and it came with 10.8.4. Is there any way i can dual boot or clean install 10.7 ? My sound card doesnt support 10.8

Thanks.

Cheers

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
Hi forum,

Got myself a new iMac 21.5(Late 2013) and it came with 10.8.4. Is there any way i can dual boot or clean install 10.7 ? My sound card doesnt support 10.8

Thanks.

Cheers

Nope, not possible, because 10.7 lacks the drivers needed for the hardware in the late-2013 iMac.

And besides, the oldest OS you can install on the iMac is the one that came with it. But in the late-2013 iMac's case, the oldest you can install is actually Mavericks, because it shipped with a special build of Mountain Lion which is different from the one in the Mac App Store.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
The above is completely correct, if you want to run those versions of the OS you will have to look at virtualisation. Both VMware Fusion and Parallels Desktop for Mac support the OS versions you would like to run.

Last edited:

Krudetunes

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 16, 2014
You have a discrete sound card? For an iMac? Is it PCI-e or something? How does that work?

Its a USB sound card :) nothing special about it, just doesn't work on 10.8

----------

Nope, not possible, because 10.7 lacks the drivers needed for the hardware in the late-2013 iMac.

And besides, the oldest OS you can install on the iMac is the one that came with it. But in the late-2013 iMac's case, the oldest you can install is actually Mavericks, because it shipped with a special build of Mountain Lion which is different from the one in the Mac App Store.

Thank you for the well detailed explanation . Guess im gonna have to buy a new audio interface.

----------

Tried VM but it does lag a little. Thank you for the info though ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.