Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
I've got a 4s & a 5, both on Verizon and both still running iOS 6 (non-jailbroken). Getting ready to upgrade to iPhone 6 & wanting to resell these older ones. Both are in good condition: no scratches, good battery life, etc. Looking for some input:

1) Will these resell for more with iOS 6 or should I go ahead and upgrade?

2) Is it possible to factory reset the phones to wipe my info but still have them run iOS 6, or will the reset process force me to upgrade to iOS 7?

3) What's your opinion on a reasonable price for resell?

BTW, if anyone's interested in buying you can PM me for pics, info, etc. Thanks

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
I've got a 4s & a 5, both on Verizon and both still running iOS 6 (non-jailbroken). Getting ready to upgrade to iPhone 6 & wanting to resell these older ones. Both are in good condition: no scratches, good battery life, etc. Looking for some input:

1) Will these resell for more with iOS 6 or should I go ahead and upgrade?

2) Is it possible to factory reset the phones to wipe my info but still have them run iOS 6, or will the reset process force me to upgrade to iOS 7?

3) What's your opinion on a reasonable price for resell?

BTW, if anyone's interested in buying you can PM me for pics, info, etc. Thanks

1. Possibly. A better option would be to mention in your ad that these are running iOS 6 right now, but can be upgraded to iOS 8 before purchase, depending on what the buyer chooses. Just let them choose. Some jailbreakers might be more interested in older versions.

2. Yes. Back everything up, including all your photos, contacts, and copy out any text messages you want to keep, etc. Then do this: http://support.apple.com/kb/ht2110

3. You didn't say what the capacities are, but my the 5 will probably go for about $300-350, and the 4s, probably $200-250. This would be Craigslist, but Ebay might go for a little less, plus you get fees taken out. Personally what I do is look at the other models on Craigslist, post much better photos and a better description, even putting in a little personality, then undercut by about $25 or so. The quicker sale is much better than squeezing every last drop out of it.

Also, see if you can get your phones unlocked before you sell, and before you post. They will sell for a better price.

rmp71701

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 7, 2012
Thanks for the reply. Yeah, forgot to mention specs. 4s is 16 GB, 5 is 32 GB.
iOS is 6.1.4 Of course, clean serial #s, etc.

I'm considering craigslist, but it can be a pain since I live kind of far from major city locale.

Also considering Swappa, but never used it. Recommend?

Trying to avoid ebay because of fees, and general dissatisfaction with how sellers are treated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.