Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With its iPhone 6 announcement completed, Apple reportedly is preparing a second announcement event that will will launch new iPad models, claims AppleInsider, citing a trusted insider familiar with the company's pre-launch logistics. The report points to the second half of October for the event, but The Daily Dot has gone a step further and predicted an October 21 event based on its own sources.
A person familiar with the company's pre-launch logistics says Apple has set internal project and marketing deadlines of mid-October, ahead of the planned unveiling of major new products during the second half of the month. That would align with an anticipated media event previously rumored to be held at some point during October. The same source who spoke to AppleInsider has shared reliable information on product introduction and timing in the past.
If true, the schedule would align with Apple's pattern for the last several years, which last year saw the company unveil its new iPad Air and iPad mini with Retina display in October with an availability date in early November. This year's event may introduce updated iPad models that include a faster A8 processor, anti-reflective display and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor, although one report suggests most of the upgrades will be limited to the larger iPad Air model.

ipad_air_touch_id_mockup.jpg
iPad Air 2 mockup

Aside from new iPads, Apple is also expected to use the October event to finalize the details and availability date for OS X Yosemite, which was initially introduced at the company's Worldwide Developers Conference in June. According to The Daily Dot, Yosemite will be released immediately following the October event, similar to the release of OS X Mavericks just after the conclusion of last year's October event.

Other Apple devices in need of upgrades include the Mac mini, MacBook Air, iMac, and the Apple TV, but few details suggest updated these models will be updated before the end of 2014, particularly given Intel's delays with its next-generation Broadwell processors. One recent rumor has, however, claimed Apple may release a new ultra-high definition 27-inch monitor with 5120 x 2880 resolution in 2014, but details on this desktop accessory remain sparse.

Update 12:35 PM: Bloomberg is also reporting that Apple plans to introduce new iPads in mid-October.
Apple Inc. will unveil the next generation of iPad tablets around mid-October, a person with knowledge of the plans said, as the company bolsters its product lineup ahead of the holiday shopping season.
The report reiterates earlier claims that new iPad and iPad mini are already in production or soon to be so, while a larger 12.9-inch iPad is scheduled to begin mass production early next year.

Update 12:41 PM: The Loop's Jim Dalrymple says Apple is not planning an October 21 event. He does not, however, address the possibility of new iPads in that general timeframe.

Article Link: Apple Said to Plan October 21 Media Event to Launch New iPads, OS X Yosemite [Update: No]

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
If the iPad Air 2 doesn't have more RAM then it's a pass for me. How much would a 5K Retina ACD cost? $5K? :eek: I'm sure it would be gorgeous though.

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
I shall be sticking with my iPad Air for the foreseeable future. TouchID on an iPad, whilst a logical update, seems totally useless to me and not worth the upgrade. I barely use the device as it is.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Apple should hold back iCloud Drive on iOS until Yosemite is released. There are going to be a lot of angry folks that upgrade and break the connection to Mavericks.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Apple should hold back iCloud Drive on iOS until Yosemite is released. There are going to be a lot of angry folks that upgrade and break the connection to Mavericks.

I agree, I was surprised that you could enable it even in the public beta of Yosemite.

iCore24

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2013
Michigan
Don't forget about the iPod touches! They upgrade with every new iPhone digit so every 2 years.

iPhone 4, iPhone 5, now iPhone 6

I am really excited to see what they come up with all the iPod lines to revive them. They are a dieing business.

I predict them making the iPod touch only a 4.7" config. So to make the iPhone have more leverage and who wants a 5.5" workout mp3 player?!

Also look at the iPod section for IOS upgrades, its so sad and alone :(

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 11.51.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-17 at 11.51.47 AM.png
    720 KB · Views: 5,033

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Unless they're releasing new desktop options, this is of no real interest to me. I bought the Air last year, and I can't fathom why I'd need an upgrade for a while. My guess is Apple won't see more of my money until Broadwell ships.

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Will be sticking with my Ipad Air but I can't wait for Yoesmite. Would also love to see that 27" UHD display.

I also hope they get there act together when it comes to streaming. Don't want to miss this event.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
Apple will announce the iPad Micro, a device with a 6.2 inch screen to fill out a gap in the product line between the Plus and the iPad mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.