Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mrgaz

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller! I work in a school and we have 32 macbook pros, we've bought two mac minis to use to wirelessly save work to to store. Each time we connect to the Mac mini to save, it only allows 10 or so computers to connect, then makes everyone else wait. Is this correct? Is there any way that more computers could connect, or is 10 the Max that we can connect at any one time. Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Hi everyone, long time listener, first time caller! I work in a school and we have 32 macbook pros, we've bought two mac minis to use to wirelessly save work to to store. Each time we connect to the Mac mini to save, it only allows 10 or so computers to connect, then makes everyone else wait. Is this correct? Is there any way that more computers could connect, or is 10 the Max that we can connect at any one time. Thanks for any insight that you can provide.

Are the Minis running Mac OS X Server or are you trying to file share on the basic client OS? OS X Server is an app you can purchase from the app store that adds a lot of work group functionality. Bear in mind that Yosemite is coming very soon so you might want to read around to see if the server version of that has any features you might want.

ryguy92000

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
Salt Lake City, UT
A wider wifi world!

With the create-a-wifi feature built into macs they are limited by how many machines can be connected. The server app as mentioned by the previous comment would work but will require significant setup to get to a ready state. I would recommend trying to "share" your mac minis hard drive or what ever file it is your students are saving to and then have the mac mini on the same network as your macs. Things can get weird with passwords and what not some times but if your already using the mac mini such as you are it shouldn't be that far of a jump!

Good Luck!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.