Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Along with iOS 8, Apple has also released the new Apple TV software update that's been in development for the last few months. The updated software includes new icons, which are designed to resemble the icons in iOS 7, taking on a flatter, less glossy look.

Several icons, like Music, Computers, and TV shows have new colors, and the on-screen fonts have been updated as well. The update includes support for several features that have been built into iOS 8 and OS X Yosemite, like Family Sharing and iCloud Photo Support.

appletvupdate.jpg
With Family Sharing, families of up to six people with iTunes accounts that use the same credit card can share content like apps, iBooks, music, movies, and more, across all of their devices using iCloud. Family Sharing also lets families share photos, videos, a calendar, reminders, and more, to keep everyone in the family connected.

In addition to introducing a new look and new features, today's update brings a Beats Music channel to the Apple TV for the first time, allowing users to log into their Beats accounts to listen to streaming music from the Apple TV.

The new software can be downloaded for free on the Apple TV by going to the Settings channel and selecting General --> Software Update. The update is limited to users who have third-generation Apple TV boxes.

Article Link: Apple TV Updated With Beats Music Channel, Revamped Design, iOS 8 Feature Support

luckydcxx

macrumors 65816
Jun 13, 2013
Beats is hands down the best app for music! this is a great addition to ATV!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Does one have to pay for the beats music ? I mean it IS an Apple product now.

And to me having a music icon just above a beats music icon is kind of redundant.

William Gates

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2007
It would be nice to add continuity to the Apple TV where you could easily pick up a movie/tv show you were watching on your Apple TV on your iPhone or iPad. Say if you had to go to the kitchen for something and didn't want to miss or pause the video.

hemanwomanhater

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2010
As a Beats Music user since launch day, I'm pretty happy this and excited about potential further integrations with Apple products. Not the biggest deal with Airplay of course but saves me a step. Can't wait to check this out when I get home.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Very pleased with the addition of Beats to the :apple:tv. Constantly using AirPlay was getting to be a bit of a drag (and unreliable).

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Are you able to just browse the internet on an Apple TV?
There's no browser app on the AppleTV, if that's what you're asking. But if you have a Mac that supports AirPlay, you can just mirror your Mac's screen on your TV (using the AppleTV).

clukas

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2010
Nice to see Beats on the ATV, however Im still waiting on iTunes Radio over here. Much rather see that than Beats :(.

cthielen

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Sacramento, CA
Is a 3rd generation Apple TV really required?

There's a software update waiting on my 2nd generation but so far it hasn't downloaded - servers must be hammered.

tarasis

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2007
Here, there and everywhere
Only 3rd Gen? Then why does my 2nd Gen claim it has an update which it's currently installing. (automatic updates was on, so it should have been up to date). Will update here when it's finished step 2 ...

--- Edit

No revamped UI
Version now: 6.2.1 (6698.99.50.41)

Last edited:

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
Why is Beats music still separate from iTunes not really worth paying extra when you can pretty much get the same stuff off iTunes not sure why Apple has not changed this yet. Whatever, how about Amazon Prime and Movie or TV Show apps that do not need Cable approval there are many of them not sure when will Apple understand why Roku is doing better.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
This is getting really redundant now...

Music, iTunes Radio, and Beats Music?

I know the difference between them, but it seems to me that a non-tech savvy person would have difficulty knowing the difference.

moobatticus

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2012
Only 3rd Gen? Then why does my 2nd Gen claim it has an update which it's currently installing. (automatic updates was on, so it should have been up to date). Will update here when it's finished step 2 ...

Just installed - the update for Apple TV 2 is to version 6.2.1 - you don't get the new icons/whatever the other changes are...

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
There is an update for the Apple TV 2 but it doesn't apply any of the visual changes. Sad. There's no reason to alienate the Apple TV 2. This is hardly a big update.

cthielen

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
Sacramento, CA
My guess on abandoning Apple TV 2 is that it doesn't include the A5 CPU like the Apple TV 3 does.

If ATV software is based on the latest iOS as well, this makes sense: the iPhone 4S is now the oldest acceptable iPhone model, and was also the first with the A5.

Anything older than the A5 simply doesn't receive the major updates today I think.

kslingo

macrumors member
May 16, 2007
I just purchased the Apple TV 3 with the $25 gift card promotion.
Will be selling my ATV 2 :)

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
I got all excited at first when I read "Apple TV Updated" then I read the rest of the title and was a little sad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.