Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

piecethepuzzle

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 17, 2014
Hi there,

I should start off by saying I know little about computers which is why I find myself here. While I do currently have a mac (might I mention it's a 2008 model), I know the very basics of it.

Clearly after having it for 6 years it's starting to show its age. It's done me well and I have zero complaints. So now, I'm looking to purchase another, again with the intention of having it for as long as it will allow me to.

Seeing as how the first time around I went with a pretty basic model, I wanted to make sure to buy a new one that will hold out the longest without me noticing as much lag etc.

As they are expensive, I'm trying to be smart about which one I purchase.

When using my computer there are 3 basic things I do: Internet surfing, Photoshop, and the only game I play which is the Sims. In saying that, I want my Sims games as well as Photoshop to have zero lag. Right now I have to wait like 5 seconds for an image to even minimize in Photoshop (hello frustration).

My thoughts were to go with the 27", 3.4GHz iMac. In an attempt to keep the cost down I guess my question is, for what I do on the computer, is it more important for me to up the processor or pay for more RAM in it? When looking to purchase it on the website there are things you can add on and I'm just trying to figure out which ones I should be paying for in order for the computer to do what I want.

Thanks so much to whoever reads/answers this!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.