Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Overg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2012
I just installed ios 8 and predictive text is disabled both in my iPhone and my ipad.
I checked in the settings and it is enabled. Any idea why this could happen?
( I have two languages installed, and I get the same old keyboard in English)

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Did you pull up on the tab? It's right above the "T" and "Y" buttons. You need to swipe up or down to enable or disable.
Is the picture it is disabled. Swipe up to enable.

Jimrod

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
you could also tap and hold that smiley next to the space bar to toggle predictive, on/off...

I liked the good old "Skeuomorphic" Apple where you didn't need an instruction manual or psychic powers to know how to work everything... And it really did work as expected, not like all this fragmented iCloud Drive crap. :confused:

Reactions: RabbitLuvr

Overg

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 26, 2012
It studdeny began to work... I didn't have this bar, nor did I have the option to press the emoji button
and open it. It just showed me 'predicted' switch in gray and disabled.

What solved it ,in case someone will have this situation, is to add english( Australian) keyboard.
That open this option.
I then switched back to the old English keyboard.

sw6lee

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2013
I'm having the same problem on iPad Mini Retina. The predictive text is greyed out when I long press the globe button, and I can't enable it. :(

EDIT: it only works in certain places. It suddenly works when in Notability, I try to edit the name of the Subject. the predictive text does NOT work in Safari, Spotlight, and some other places. Why though?

Last edited:

RollTideFanGrl

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2013
I was having the same problem. I switched the predictive text off, backed out the screen, went back in and turned it back on. For some reason, it worked.

TheBacklash

Suspended
Oct 23, 2013
I liked the good old "Skeuomorphic" Apple where you didn't need an instruction manual or psychic powers to know how to work everything... And it really did work as expected, not like all this fragmented iCloud Drive crap. :confused:

Apple actually showed this in the Keynote.. I honestly don't know how to turn it on/off any other way.

i'd assume it's in the keyboard settings somewhere though.

Tomp4801

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2014
Predictive Text

Under general>keyboard>predictive text is turned on, however, the predictive text bar does not show above the keyboard and neither does the small white dash. When I tap and hold the emoji key, the predictive text slide bar is turned off and when I try to slide it on, it won't turn on and the pop-up option box disappears. I am stuck on this problem. I have tried powering down, to no avail. Any help is appreciated...

Toothsaw

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2015
Hi everybody.
Predictive text is only enabled where it can learn from our writing style, so it won't work (i.e. it is greyed out in the "change keyboard" tab and the handle bad above keys doesn't show up) in search boxes, like spotlight or safari URL/search bar.
It is automatically re-enabled when writing emails, text messages or in social network apps (Facebook, Twitter, whatsapp, etc.)

Hope I could shed some light on this ;)

Reactions: J5offsuit

SmellstheRat

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2015
I just installed ios 8 and predictive text is disabled both in my iPhone and my ipad.
I checked in the settings and it is enabled. Any idea why this could happen?
( I have two languages installed, and I get the same old keyboard in English)

I have found that if you are using Google, Bing, etc. and predictive text is turned ON under settings, yet there is NO white bar to pull up on the keyboard...switch the Google, Bing version to desktop instead of mobile version and the predictive text option reappears.

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
For me - it is turned on in settings but doesn't show up unless I touch above the Y - then it is on and shows up non-greyed out above emoji - then next time in - not on and greyed out again?????

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.