Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's new iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus going on sale in the first group of launch countries beginning on Friday, September 19, long lines have already started to form across the world as many anticipate the release of both devices. Apple retail customers in Australia will have the first opportunity to purchase the new handsets at 8 AM on Friday, as some have already begun lining up outside of the company's various retail locations. Currently, it is 7:10 PM on Thursday, September 18 throughout many parts of Australia.

iphone6launchaus_1.jpg
Image credit: @beth_blanchard
One photo taken by Guardian Australia writer Bethanie Blanchard shows many customers lining up outside the Apple Store Doncaster, as the line is said to have started at 6 AM and stretches around the entire length of the shopping center.

iphone6launchaus_2-800x600.jpg
Image credit: @rodgerrodger

Meanwhile, a photo shared by Twitter user @rodgerodger shows the line surrounding an Apple Store in Brisbane. The image shows numerous customers setting up chairs and laying down supplies in preparation to stay the night ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the morning.

In addition to Australia, Apple's iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus will be available in the US, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the UK starting Friday, with Apple Retail Stores beginning sales at 8 AM. The company is also implementing a reservation pass system at its retail stores for those who line up, which will keep track of the line position of each customer and ensure that those waiting receive a device.

The first batch of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus pre-orders will also be delivered starting this Friday, as some devices have already begun shipping to customers. Shipping estimates for new iPhone 6 pre-orders remain at 7 to 10 days, while estimates for iPhone 6 Plus pre-orders are at 3 to 4 weeks. Apple announced this past Monday that it processed more than four million iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus pre-orders during the first day of its pre-launch sales on September 12.

Article Link: Long Lines Forming for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Launch in Australia

gixxerfool

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Isn't it the same picture twice with two different descriptions?

Apparently both people were standing in the same spot at two different locations.

EDIT: They fixed it.

Last edited:

locust76

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2009
Here come the attack ads from Samsung poking fun at all the people lining up for iPhones... while nobody lines up for new Samsung products.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
Just waiting for another Samsung ad to come out mocking these people (IIRC they've done it before..), when in reality there isn't a company on this planet that wouldn't give their left nut in order to get this kind of attention and hype for just one of their products.

Bodie CI5

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2014
Go Doncaster! You made Macrumors! :D

haha! I thought the only Apple Store in Melb was in Chaddy?! :eek:

I had a mate who used to answer the phone with "Hello, Chadstone bowls" :D

Not quite sure why I just shared that. o_O

jz-

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2013
Knowing Doncaster, I would be very impressed if the line actually "stretches around the entire length of the shopping center"

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I don't get why people don't preorder.

Maybe because they don't want to stay up until 5AM trying on an unavailable Apple Store to maybe get an phone 6! :p

Only way I got mine was to use the iPad Apple Store App and that almost didn't work either! I still need to add AppleCare+, I couldn't add it to my cart, the system was too slow! :eek:

StealthGhost

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2010
It would be fun to do a few hours in advance with some friends, but day(s) in advance...Yea no thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.