Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
Looks like the struggle is real to be first in line, started early this morning. I'm sure it'll be super packed by late afternoon. Good luck to all. Are you in line yet?

LostMyiPhone

macrumors 6502
Dec 19, 2012
I just don't understand why people get in a physical line with all of the preorder options. I DO NOT GET IT.

potaco

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2010
One thing I've never understood: when people wait in line alone, how do you go to the bathroom without losing your spot or your stuff?

kupkakez

macrumors 68020
Apr 4, 2011
Austin, TX
I don't even like standing in line at the grocery store, you would not find me lining up a day in advance for anything.

----------

One thing I've never understood: when people wait in line alone, how do you go to the bathroom without losing your spot or your stuff?

Yeah I often wonder this. Diapers?

BoricuaHec01

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 17, 2012
Chicago, IL
I just don't understand why people get in a physical line with all of the preorder options. I DO NOT GET IT.

Not if servers crashed during preorders and every device sold and back ordered in less then 30 minutes.

This is way too extreme though, I'm going to my Verizon store after midnight.

dotme

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
Iowa
Probably a mix of people who tried preordering and were disappointed with 20+ day lead times, people who want to pay cash only (no credit cards), people with complicated plan changes, people who want to hold/see them in person before buying, and of course people planning to turn around and resell them. Lots of reasons. I'm just glad I preordered. The person in the photo doesn't look very warm... where is that taken? Chicago?

msegina613

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
Just once I would like to see apple release a phone on say the 1st week of February. Then we see who the real die hard fans are (in the north at least) :)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
Looks like a baby in a swaddling blanket! That just doesn't look very comfortable, being bundled against the cold out on what will likely be a busy street later on, chock full of car exhaust fumes. I can't imagine enduring all that discomfort for a phone that in a few months will be fully in stock everywhere.

I did line up on launch day for my 5s but that was just a 45 minute wait in the afternoon, in the comfort of a really nice mall.

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
While I'd never waste the vacation time to do it, I could see how it might be kind of fun if you did it with a buddy. Honestly I'm surprised there isn't a line already.

legioxi

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2013
But surely people have waited alone before, even if this specific guy isn't... are they just really soggy by the end of it?

People in other threads mentioned that most in line are nice and are OK with people leaving for a bathroom break and coming back. It isn't cuthroat.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Seriously? So he is a loser because he is doing something you would not want to do? Perhaps this is his thing and why yuck his yum, so to speak? An adult calling another adult a name simply because they're doing something they want to do is stupid and kind of suggests that the pot is calling the kettle black there.

Just because you don't get it doesn't mean he shouldn't do it. If he wants to waste his time camping out for a phone then so be it.

I would never camp for a phone but if someone wants to then great. I'll wait until early October for my phone.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008

Apple.com - Didn't open for 2 hours (unless you had a secret link or used app)
Sprint - Didn't open for 2 1/2 hours (some people got through but it was a mess)
ATT - Opened at 11:58A but those orders got pushed to Mid October

Preorders are supposed to help avoid waiting in line like this and I'm very very glad they exist. But every year there's something so waiting in line may be the better option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.