Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm having my iPhone held at UPS and I just chatted and they said the address on my drivers license MUST match the address on the package. If it does not I must show them my SS card or birth certificate and another issued state ID such as a student ID.

I do not have a student ID. She told me I wouldn't be able to pick up and it would be sent back to Apple after X amount of time.

WTF is this?? What have you all heard? I could have sworn they would let me pick it up as long as my name matched.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I'm having my iPhone held at UPS and I just chatted and they said the address on my drivers license MUST match the address on the package. If it does not I must show them my SS card or birth certificate and another issued state ID such as a student ID.

I do not have a student ID. She told me I wouldn't be able to pick up and it would be sent back to Apple after X amount of time.

WTF is this?? What have you all heard? I could have sworn they would let me pick it up as long as my name matched.

Then bring your birth certificate or SS card, what's so hard about that? :confused:

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012

You don't have a SS card?

I'm in Canada so it might be different, but try taking your license and a utility bill in your name. I know in Canada as long as we show photo ID plus something that was mailed to us at that address that proves that we live there, we can pick up. Maybe call them and check into this option.

adammull

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2009
First you were shipping it somewhere that you didn't live, but apparently didn't even want to use that address, so you arranged it be held and its UPS' fault that they can't verify who you are?

Are you Batman?

Where is your Social Security Card and Birth Certificate? I wouldn't release it to you either. Anyone can make a fake license in 30 min.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Then bring your birth certificate or SS card, what's so hard about that? :confused:

I think the rep was clueless but she said if it doesn't match they won't accept it even as a secondary form of ID. She said I MUST bring my SS card or birth certificate and a state issued id (not DL) such as a student id. I said im not a student and she said I can't pick it up then lol

So the issue is her saying I can't use my DL as a secondary form of ID to verify my name. I'm not trying to scam anyone.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I think the rep was clueless but she said if it doesn't match they won't accept it even as a secondary form of ID. She said I MUST bring my SS card or birth certificate and a state issued id (not DL) such as a student id. I said im not a student and she said I can't pick it up then lol

Most likely the rep is wrong, my address on my license doesn't match either (I moved to a new state for school) and i've picked up numerous items including an ipad.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
First you were shipping it somewhere that you didn't live, but apparently didn't even want to use that address, so you arranged it be held and its UPS' fault that they can't verify who you are?

Are you Batman?

Where is your Social Security Card and Birth Certificate? I wouldn't release it to you either. Anyone can make a fake license in 30 min.

You realize a DL has a picture right?

----------

WTF that is, is protecting you.

If someone has your same name and wants to pick up the phone by showing an ID with THEIR address, you are basically saying it's ok for them to go get YOUR phone.

Again, a DL has a PHOTO of ME.

noteple

macrumors 68000
Aug 30, 2011
UPS / Fedex Terminals
Want you to drmonstrate that You by
Name And Address are The Person the Package Belongs To.
State Issued Photo ID should Do it

More of a shipper then carrier thing to prevent fraud and theft.

kerrikins

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Again, do you think its 1982?

If you think fake ID doesn't work then you're very naive.

Why don't you just take your SS card or like I said, call UPS and see if you can use mail as a secondary back-up as proof of your address. Or just try and pick it up anyway and see how it goes.

kendu2412

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Fairfield CA
Last year with 5S , UPS told me I need to be at home , need to be have ID with match name or shipping .....v.v

When they come , just sign , didnt check anything .

NO WORRY . UPS JOKING WITH YOU GUYSS

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
lol you seriously think they arent going to make sure I didn't tape a photo on a high tech drivers license? This isn't 1982.

There are plenty of other ways to make a convincing fake ID. Also go on facebook and do a search for your name, I can almost guarantee you that there will be plenty of people with the same name as you. If the address doesn't have to match then any one of them could just go in and get your phone.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Let me rephrase my concern since some don't seem to get it:

UPS told me if I bring the following I cannot pick up my iphone:

-DL with old address (I just moved)
-Birth Certificate
-Social Security card

according to them, this isnt good enough.

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
There are plenty of other ways to make a convincing fake ID. Also go on facebook and do a search for your name, I can almost guarantee you that there will be plenty of people with the same name as you. If the address doesn't have to match then any one of them could just go in and get your phone.

There is exactly 1 person in the world with my name luckily.

----------

I'm assuming you are on a family plan and Apple had to ship it to the billing address on the cell phone account?

I moved 30 days ago. I won't be home tomorrow so I arranged to have it help at UPS. My DL says the address I just came from.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
Do you really have no other ID like a passport maybe, and why didn't you send it to your home address? I can get a student sending it to where they are going to school, but as you said you don't have a student ID that isn't the case with you. You do know if you move somewhere you are supposed to get the address on your license changed...

noobinator

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 19, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Do you really have no other ID like a passport maybe, and why didn't you send it to your home address? I can get a student sending it to where they are going to school, but as you said you don't have a student ID that isn't the case with you. You do know if you move somewhere you are supposed to get the address on your license changed...

I have a social security card, DL, birth certificate and that's not gonna do it apparently. I just moved and my DL with the correct address will be here soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.