Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple began shipping out early iPhone 6 and 6 Plus pre-orders on Thursday morning, and FlightAware, a site that offers live flight tracking, has created a tool that allows users to track the flights carrying their iPhones after receiving a tracking number.

flighttracker.jpg
According to FlightAware, users can check the "departure scan" in their UPS tracking information which may match a departure time and flight listed on the tracking page. Currently, the page is tracking UPS flights from Shenzhen, China to Anchorage, Alaska and Anchorage to Louisville, Kentucky, all of which are standard flight rounds for shipping companies.

Currently, many iPhones that will be shipping out to customers overnight and in the morning are aggregated in Kentucky, a worldwide UPS air hub known as Worldport. Apple appears to have shipped the majority of iPhone units using Next Day Air.

kentucky.jpg
The first iPhone 6 and 6 Plus shipments are expected to arrive on Friday, September 19, but oftentimes, some lucky customers receive their shipments early due to shipping company errors. Apple will also begin selling the devices in stores on Friday, but supplies are expected to be tight, especially for the iPhone 6 Plus.

MacRumors readers who are waiting for an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus may also want to join in on the dedicated Apple pre-order thread on the forums, where users share tracking information and socialize while waiting for their devices to arrive.

Article Link: FlightAware Offers Tool For Tracking iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Pre-Order Shipment Flights

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
This is sure an interesting round of releases. I am still waiting to hear how well the official Apple queuing application works. Not much talk about that yet. I don't have high hopes as Last year, checking inventory for in store pickup was broken for a week, later pulled from Apple's site, and finally returned with flaws, showing no phones when the store had good stock.

QuiteSure

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2002
I'm wondering, if you paddle your canoe out to the middle of the Pacific Ocean to meet the plane can you get your phone quicker?

arian19

macrumors demi-god
Jul 9, 2008
My iPhone is on it's way!!! But mine is not being shipped overnight, instead they are using "
UPS Worldwide Express Saver®".

I don't know why but the first time my iPhone tried to depart from China, it couldn't... the second time it departed from china... it was able to get away!

xFaRJQO.png

The tracking above is for a iPhone 6 Plus 64gb Space Grey

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I'd say this is kind of a new low of MacRumors "news".
I'm a fan, not a psycho stalker. Color me weird for seeing this as something that is just unnecessary to "report" on.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
... Ok we've crossed a line here, and it's not a good one.

Why do you say that? Part 121 carriers in the US are always able to be tracked, as our ATC system is paid for by we, the taxpayer.

If you are meaning just for the phone, it's kinda fun to see where your phone starts, where it arrives, and when it is processed for shipment.

If you really want to get into it, you can cross this info with LiveATC.net and actually listen to when the plane gets into US airspace, lands, or departs.

BL.

tmaxxtigger

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2010
Wait for everyone to post their individual tracking update on this thread in 3..2..1.. oh wait, missed that one already!

DVDxR

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2009
I'm a fan, not a psycho stalker. Color me weird for seeing this as something that is just unnecessary to "report" on.

You must be new here. Flight tracking your shipment is an iPhone Day Eve tradition here. It's like tracking santa on x-mas! Anyway, it's all public info and the tracking isn't actually real-time for security reasons.

maildawg

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2014
Costa Mesa Ca.

We've got some great news for you.
Your item will be ready for pickup on Sep 19.

My 6 plus 64 GB is ready for pick up tomorrow 9/19

I ordered thru apple app at 12:17 am 9/12

:D:D:D

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
You must be new here. Flight tracking your shipment is an iPhone Day Eve tradition here. It's like tracking santa on x-mas! Anyway, it's all public info and the tracking isn't actually real-time for security reasons.

Actually, the tracking info IS real time. Most if not all of it are done by ADS-B, which is real time.

BL.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Mine was sitting in Louisville for a day and departed on "Louisville, KY, United States 09/18/2014 2:31 P.M." Departure Scan. :D

Moonlight

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2002
Los Angeles
Do all of you have tracking info that says its from China? Mine says it started in Nashville. I must have gotten the Honky Tonk version??

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle

I don't know. I find it fascinating, and was waiting for the flight trackers to come, just like last year!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.