Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
I was mailed a .sitx package with a font-testing app (I´m having trouble getting certain fonts going in order to use a Norwegian-Chinese dictionary on my PB, and one of the people involved in the project mailed me the .sitx and asked me to check out the fonts and mail him a screenshot).

I unstuff, then get a new icon on my desktop, called FontTest.sitx.cpgz. The icon is a white sheet of paper with a zipper.

When I then double-click on this new icon, it just unarchives to give me a new sitx - a sort of version II of the original file, this time called FontTest 2.sitx.

This goes on and on - I never get to the app I´m supposed to use to test out the font problem.

Any idea what I´m doing wrong? I found a couple references to the same sort of problem with .cpgz-files in a quick Google search, but without any suggestions for solutions.

Eniregnat

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2003
In your head.
CPGZ = gzipped archive
I thought that these were created from the ditto command? Basically a zipped archive.

OSX should natively be unable to unzip the archive. Try
Stuffit Expander for expansion of the SITX componet. SITX, is basically a more compressed version of the SIT format, that allows for long UNIX naming, and allows for 512 bit encryption of the archive.

If the archive is malformed, it won't unzip correctly.

annk

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
Earlier today I finally ended up managing to get at the app in the package by using Stuffit Expander to open the .cpgz file. Using Stuffit on the sitx-file only created .cpgz.

xroox

macrumors newbie
Jan 19, 2009
Same But no solution

Having the same problem, stuffit expander opens the .cpgz but not the resulting .zip file. When I try and open the .zip file that stuffit has created it just creates another .zip file.

Weird stuff!

John Doe 57

macrumors 65816
Jan 26, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Having the same problem, stuffit expander opens the .cpgz but not the resulting .zip file. When I try and open the .zip file that stuffit has created it just creates another .zip file.

Weird stuff!

Wow! This thread will celebrate it's 4th birthday in a few days.

Every time I run into this problem, I rename the ending of the file to RAR or SIT. Normally it works, other times it doesn't.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
I've had this odd problem before, actually. It's easy to fix - starting with the original archive (not the CPGZ Archive Utility creates when it tries to extract it), use The Unarchiver to open it. It's a lot more capable, and is usually able to figure out how to unpack it.

data2insight

macrumors newbie
Apr 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
the UnArchiver worked like a charm!

Thanks for this post! I was having the running in circle problem with a cpgz file too. I read the thread and downloaded the UnArchiver and it opened the gunzipped archive beautifully. What a time saver. I will make a donation to folks who make the UnArchiver for sure!

mooncaine

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2004
Still a problem in Snow Leopard as of July 2010

I'm working with Google Earth's KMZ files, which should simply unzip to a text file with extension .KML ....

Mac OSX just makes a file with .cpgz extension, which it will in turn unzip into another .zip file, etc, ad infinitum.

:mad:

kharisma

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2009
I've been trying The Unarchiver, Archive Utility, Stuffit, FileJuicer on both the original zip and the resulting .zip.cpgz file, plus on the .gz file that FileJuicer produces.

FileJuicer does *not* "unpack all the files" as their ad suggests :(

Stubbornly refuses to open.

I think I found a solution once before, but that was when I knew the result should be a pdf, so changed the extension.

Did find one web page that says .cpgz files are actually created on a Mac so may pose a problem for Windows users! We Mac users seem to be similarly challenged!

Any other suggestions?

marvh

macrumors newbie
Nov 17, 2010
.zip .cpgz file - this worked

I had the same problem, .zip extracting into.cpgz. Even using Stuffit Expander by double clicking the file it still kept going in circles. However, MOST of these files extracted just fine by right-clicking on the original .zip file and selecting Stuffit Expander under the "Open With" option.

kevin86

macrumors member
Jan 7, 2007
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone in this thread. I was having the same problem. Read this thread and then downloaded the unarchiver from the mac app store (for free!!!!) and it worked perfectly.

Thanks so much!!

Carlene

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2011
Wow, thanks! I thought I was losing it... couldn't figure out why it wasn't working. :)

jswan1963

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2011
cpgz file on mac

I tried all of the recommended fixes and still couldn't get the cpgz file to open. Any more thoughts on this?

LaVerdana

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2008
cpgz file on mac - StuffIt Expander 11.0.2 was fine

I started with an ePub file and changed the extension to zip, but Snow Leopard still wanted to use Adobe Digital Editions with it after the first try, where it had created a .cpgz file with it! So I tried opening with StuffIt Expander 11.0.2, (that's just the one I had - I RARELY use it, because normally Mac OS X handles zip files nicely). The main gotcha there was that it quickly expanded the zip into a folder nowhere to be seen! Then I had to firstly open StuffIt and check the preferences to find where it was set to save files! I could then go and move the expanded folder back to where I wanted it and also changed the preferences to put expanded files in a folder where the original zip file was. :)

Wicky

macrumors newbie
Feb 14, 2012
Change your browser

On & off, I've been having the same infuriating problem for ages... zip becomes zip.cpgz, becomes zip2.cpgz, etc., ad infinitum. None of the solutions explained here (or elsewhere) have worked.

None of the Zip/Archive apps work, no amount of file suffix renaming makes a difference. Eureka moment... "it's the files"!

The problem is infrequent, but I have had it a few times and always with zip files. Thinking back, the common ground is files that have been stored or distributed via AmazonS3 and downloaded via Firefox. There's some compatibility issue. Maybe it's a plugin... who knows?

I set Chrome up as my primary browser, rebooted & downloaded the files again. Problem solved... at least for me!

cocolino

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2012
download the file again

Hi, I have just encountered this problem with a .zip file and have tried all the solutions found on the net, but it seems that some error occurred when I downloaded the file and that caused this cpgz/zip cycle. I just downloaded the file again (same browser) and this time I could unzip it right. Just check the size of the file, if it is very small (mine was 28bytes), it was probably not downloaded right. When I downloaded it the second time, the file was 1Mb. I hope this helps at least some of you :)

ScottDunn

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2012
It is certainly not a fix, however I have experienced this in the past and sometimes simply re-downloading works. Downloading the file using a different browser always seem to work. I normally use Firefox and then use Chrome when I have the problem.

whateveruloveur

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2012
U.S.
wow, thanks. i just googled this... not even expecting to find any results, then read this and downloaded the Unarchiver. it worked immediately, no problem.

Sirolway

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
London
wow, thanks. i just googled this... not even expecting to find any results, then read this and downloaded the Unarchiver. it worked immediately, no problem.

+1
Fantastic news - recovered a bunch of corrupted zip files that I thought were toast.
Off to donate to The Unarchiver now ...

jahinton3

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2012
UnArchiver Worked - Stuff It Didn't

I had the same problem and after reading some replies in this forum I tried Stuff It Expander. It didn't work. Read some more and tried UnArchiver. Worked easily. Note this isn't someone who works for Unarchiver... just a new Mac user!

:)

camslice

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
Your unzipping software may produce a .cpzg from a .zip file if the .zip file hasn't finished downloading. Check your browsers to see if the .zip file you're trying to unzip has finished downloading completely.

Daniieel

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2013
Name your file xx.zip

This worked for me.

Instead of just downloading the file from WeTransfer
I named it xx.zip, I put the .zip behind the file.

Hope this helps!

eggsaladjunkie

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2009
I HAVE A SOLUTION:-
The problem is NOT with the file itself but with Stuffit Expander, and the version you are using to unstuffit.

The way to open your .ZIP, .RAR files, is to re-install an older version of Stuffit.

I have 15.0 installed at the moment. I re-installed 10.0.2 it still didn't open, I then re-installed 8.0.2 and it worked. Job done.

Obviously some files had been compressed using the older version.

I downloaded the older Stuffit from:-
http://www.stuffit.com/mac-stuffit-download.html

Hope it works for you.

OK, I did that. Now when I use the Stuffit Expander I get a FOLDER named "slsx folder". Inside the folder among other folders, is a document called [Content_Types].xml. This is identified in "Get Info" as an "Omni Outliner" document that naturally won't open.

What's the SIMPLE solution to this, other than just throwing away the computer, which is most tempting.

It is only the most basic function in the world for a networked computer to be able to download and open attachments!

WHAT IS UP WITH THIS? It smells like someone is trying to sell something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.