Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the launch of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus already underway in several countries, many companies have begun performing tests and benchmarks on the device. PhoneBuff has taken the two devices and put them through a drop test, dropping each on its back, side and front.

The iPhone 6 did well when dropped on the side and back, but unsurprisingly suffered when dropped on its face. The 6 Plus, on the other hand, cracked when it landed on the side. However, it sustained little further damage when falling on its face.

Based on this one test, both phones may have performed worse than the iPhone 5 design which was described as "very durable" and survived similar drops in a previous drop tests. Without standardized testing, it's hard to draw definitive conclusions.

Article Link: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Get Cracked in First Drop Test

Richardgm

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2008
iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus Get Cracked in First Drop Test

Yeah. I think this will be a problem. The moment I read WSJ's review and he dropped it and it cracked I figured the durability of the screens probably fell. Breaking on the first fall is very unusual.

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
I never understand why these people spend all this money on an iPhone just to drop it on the ground on YouTube for a few views. Give me that damn Phone if you're gonna Eff it up. Sheesh.

seamer

macrumors 6502
Jul 24, 2009
If they dropped one of each phone multiple times, you're bound to get weird results. Once the glass is compromised, that's it. Dropping a flawed phone again on a different face won't give the same results as dropping a brand new phone without cracks.

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
Worse then the iPhone 5 :eek:
It seems that the stronger iphone design was the 4 and it gets weaker with each new design. Although to be fair that is what you would get with a thin phone.

d-klumpp

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2010
Chicago
Case?

Is the product really improved if I now need a case? I have never used a case for iPhone 3G/4/5 and have only suffered minor scratches. I don't want a svelte device only to clad it in plastic or leather.

nikko1423

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2012
Yeah. I think this will be a problem. The moment I read WSJ's review and he dropped it and it cracked I figured the durability of the screens probably fell. Breaking on the first fall is very unusual.

It all depends on the exact angle. The glass is WRAPPED AROUND THE SIDES (a little bit). What did you expect? iPhone 5/5s is obviously better with Flat falling with its Flat sides...

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
Thats what I tell people. Another reason I prefer the iPhone 5 design. More durable than the 4/4S and the 6/6+

mrmarts

macrumors 65816
Feb 6, 2009
Melbourne Australia
I look after my phones never dropped my iPhone 5 since i had it, i hope the next plus will have a sapphire screen as my telco is offering me a free upgrade next year.

D28Z98

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
Did I really just read a story on the main page about a man dropping a piece of glass on the cement to see if it breaks?

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Based on this video alone, if you don't use a case then you're insane or have too much expendable income.

nick727

Cancelled
Aug 12, 2006
If Apple announced the iPhone 6 as being the same in every way as the iPhone 5s but was nearly impossible to break by throwing it or dropping it, I'd buy it for twice the price on day one. Wish they'd spend some R&D cash on that...

himanshumodi

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2012
India
Kudos to all who use it without a case.

I have always had my phone in a case, because I drop it on an average once a month. Butterfingers me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.