Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dezzeus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
As I've pointed it out in the thread title, my 16 GiB iPhone 4s is getting out of memory due to the fact that it has self-downloaded iOS 7(.1.2) without I'd never asked for.

As long as it weights several GiB, there's any way to get rid of it ?
I've tried to navigate the file system through an app (for OS X) called "iFunBox", but there's no way to locate it.

Thanks in advice!

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Don't think there's a good way really. You can perhaps restore the phone as new and see if it's not there and then basically avoid it being downloaded again.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
As I've pointed it out in the thread title, my 16 GiB iPhone 4s is getting out of memory due to the fact that it has self-downloaded iOS 7(.1.2) without I'd never asked for.

As long as it weights several GiB, there's any way to get rid of it ?
I've tried to navigate the file system through an app (for OS X) called "iFunBox", but there's no way to locate it.

Thanks in advice!

back up your data and erase the phone directly from the phone. The installer will be dumped in the process.

curiosity

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2013
Problem is, if you do a backup AFTER your device has found an update (the red badge icon at Settings app), then this badge and knowledge of an existing update is saved into the backup, too (including iCloud backups). So when you restore, the badge gets restored, and iOS tries to download the update again. The only way to prevent this is not to restore from such a backup. Which means you have to start from the scratch (documents, savegames, other data). If your only backup is the badge backup, then you need to block mesu.apple.com in your router to prevent the update from being downloaded over Wi-Fi, but you have to live with the badge and some nag screens about an available update appearing now and then.

globalist

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2009
Jailbreak your 6.x phone and install Software Update Killer from Cydia. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.