Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Old Jan 17, 2003, 01:20 PM   #1
fuzzy7slippers
macrumors member

Going nuts trying to move files across network.

I need to move a file from my friends computer to my computer. Whenever I try to move it, it tells me that the file has special permissions and it cant be moved. How do I get around this. All help is greatly appreciated.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 02:01 PM   #2
Fukui
macrumors 68000

Have your friend move it.

It means your friend's file is owned by him or something...can he move it to your computer instead of you trying to copy it? If it is owned by him, he should have no trouble to copy it. If not, try to make a disk-image of the file with disk copy (on his comp) and then copy it to your computer. Also, try to right-click on the file and choose view info, and change the permisions...
Fukui is offline   0
Old Jan 17, 2003, 02:52 PM   #3
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Haven't used OS X, but I know on the mac and pc you can enable a folder for sharing and give specific computers permission to access the folder. Then you just plop the filre you want to share in this folder and you can exchange files. I do this with digital images quite often, often in batches.
pgwalsh is offline   0

MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers