Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

While the official reviews of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus were published several days ago, with the devices now making their way into customers' hands we are starting to see broader first impressions of the larger iPhones.

iphone_6_mr_case.jpg
Case from MacRumors giveaway, based on rumored design specs (Photo by @adam_moreno)
Several posters in our forums have highlighted the high-quality "Retina HD" displays on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, but have observed that apps yet to be optimized for the larger displays appear "quite blurry" or "'big' and disgusting" due to scaling issues.

iphone_6_gold_front.jpg
Photo by jchiou
Another aspect being noticed by users is the much louder vibration on the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, something highlighted by John Gruber in his review earlier this week.
The iPhone 6 has a noticeably stronger vibrator to me, and with the iPhone 6 Plus, it's so powerful it's actually a bit noisy -- the sound made by the 6 Plus vibrator is so strong, I wonder if there are going to be complaints that it's not "silent" at all.

As someone who runs his iPhone in silent mode much of the time, I definitely appreciate the stronger vibrator.
Customers are also generally praising the overall look of the new iPhones, calling them "sleek and beautifully made" and "glorious". Those opting for the gold model may notice that it is "a bit more yellow golden" than the gold iPhone 5s.

gold_iphone_6_5s.jpg
Gold iPhone 6 (left) vs. gold iPhone 5s (Photo by @horwitz)
As for size, some customers have been concerned about placing orders for the iPhone 6 Plus without having a good idea of just how big the device really is. Reactions now that users are getting their hands on them seem to be mixed, with some saying they "love every inch" of the 5.5-inch display while others have found it too big for their tastes. Some in-store customers were able to compare the two sizes before purchasing, helping make the decision easier.

For ongoing coverage of photos and first impressions, readers are welcome to follow our consolidated thread stickied in our iPhone forum.

Article Link: First Impressions of iPhone 6 and 6 Plus: Sleek Look, Great Display, Unoptimized Apps Blurry, Loud Vibration

centauratlas

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2003
Florida
The Plus is definitely a lot bigger than the 5s. So far it doesn't seem too big, but I'll be interested to see what I think over the next few days. So far so good.

The larger display is nice, the older you get the nicer it is. ;)

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
Admittedly, I should have known better that Schiller’s remarks about the scaling of unoptimised apps were probably too much sugarcoating. His pictures only showed oversized elements, not so much blur. So how does it actually look? This should mostly affect icons, right?

Yakuzahi

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2010
Was too lazy to wake up at 3am. I hope that I won't regret it, and see the Plus in the store sometime in December.

saintforlife

macrumors 65816
Feb 25, 2011
iphone_6_mr_case.jpg

The want the MacRumors.com sticker in the above picture for my iPhone and MacBook Air. Is there a place where I can get it from? Is there like a MacRumors merchandise store?

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Was too lazy to wake up at 3am. I hope that I won't regret it, and see the Plus in the store sometime in December.

I woke up at 6. Went to Miami ATT store. Only 30 people there and after 2 hours of wait, they announced that there were no 6 plus at all. NOT EVEN ONE! :eek:

J. Jizzle

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2013
U.S.A.
Loud vibrate? Wonderful... The iPhone 5's vibration was good enough for me... Oh well, I'm still going to get the 6 Plus once my current contract is over in November. Can't wait! :)

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Whenever Apple changes something about iOS or the hardware that alters apps' looks or sets non updated apps apart from developers' apps who are still very actively working on them there's one benefit:

You see who's really serious about their apps all the time, after all that time you have them already.

The apps that are updated most quickly are often of higher support quality.

For example: When we went from 3.5" to 4.0" I could quickly see which apps I might want to replace with alternatives.

Glassed Silver:mac

mdlee2009

macrumors member
Aug 2, 2012
Indiana
The Plus is definitely a lot bigger than the 5s. So far it doesn't seem too big, but I'll be interested to see what I think over the next few days. So far so good.

The larger display is nice, the older you get the nicer it is. ;)

I just don't know if it's worth the extra $100. I'd rather use that towards more storage. I am interested to see the difference in photo quality.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
The + is way bigger than I thought it was.. So glad I didn't get it. Looks nice, but just unusable for me.

ahirbe

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Midwest
iPhone 6

Got mine today, and am glad I decided on the 4.7 the 5.5 would have been way to big...besides iPhones are supposed to be smaller and better than all the rest right? like a david/goliath thing lol

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Whenever Apple changes something about iOS or the hardware that alters apps' looks or sets non updated apps apart from developers' apps who are still very actively working on them there's one benefit:

You see who's really serious about their apps all the time, after all that time you have them already.

The apps that are updated most quickly are often of higher support quality.

For example: When we went from 3.5" to 4.0" I could quickly see which apps I might want to replace with alternatives.

Glassed Silver:mac

all of the appsdone by startups are going to be updated immediately

where many of the apps of large corporations and media companies (newspaper company apps, verizon FiOS / Xfinity apps, etc) are going to take forever to update. i just hope when i use the FiOS app that the stream itself won't be blurry and look like crap

Delorean2006

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2012
I always leave my phone on vibrate and my 5S was decently loud, definitely not as loud as my 4 was, but damn this actually makes me happy that is really loud and strong too...i can finally be able to hear it all the time

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.