Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With Apple's retail stores beginning sales of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus today, customers have been lining up to either pick up their pre-ordered devices or take their chances on launch-day supplies without reservations. Piper Jaffray analyst Gene Munster conducted his annual line count at Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan and found a record 1,880 people in line at 8:00 AM, an increase of 33% over last year's line.

cook_iphone_6_palo_alto.jpg
Tim Cook at final employee meeting before opening doors of Palo Alto store (via @CNBCnow)
Apple executives are also getting into the spirit of the iPhone launch, with CEO Tim Cook making his traditional visit to the Palo Alto store to greet customers. Cook walked the line and posed for photos with customers before heading into the store to meet with staff and open the door to welcome customers.

Several other executives are also out and about, with new retail chief Angela Ahrendts presiding over her first iPhone launch by visiting the flagship store in Sydney, Australia, and Internet software and services chief Eddy Cue making an appearance at the Stanford store.
Phenomenal start to a historic day and an honor to be with our incredible team and first customers in Sydney. pic.twitter.com/28aww07wGj - Angela Ahrendts (@AngelaAhrendts) September 18, 2014
Nearly all Apple retail stores in launch countries have now opened for business today, with only the three stores in Honolulu, Hawaii yet to begin sales of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Article Link: Tim Cook Helps Kick Off iPhone 6 Sales at Palo Alto Retail Store

Mac2133

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
What's that device?

The guy standing to the right of Tim Cook - he's got a black device clipped to his belt (right hip). Does not look to be an:apple: device (huge antenna sticking out)... You stand right next to the CEO of Apple with a non -Apple device?? :|

Coolmatt49

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008
Apple launches are always a fun affair. Having Tim Cook there must have made everyone's day.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
I'll bet the Palo Alto store didn't run out of iPhone 6 Plus' before the store even opened. Last time I'll stand in line for an iPhone.

Mudcrutch

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2008
The guy standing to the right of Tim Cook - he's got a black device clipped to his belt (right hip). Does not look to be an:apple: device (huge antenna sticking out)... You stand right next to the CEO of Apple with a non -Apple device?? :|

It's called a walkie-talkie.

Deedlez

macrumors regular
Nov 1, 2011
UK
:cool:

Strange; haven't ever seen any "massive queues at the Samsung store" stories that I can recall. I bet most/all companies would kill for the media coverage Apple seems to get just by selling a new product that is basically just a little different from last year's (this year's difference being that they're bigger)...

jkeekij

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011

Two way radio, they use them in every Apple store.

HEK

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2013
US Eastern time zone

It looks to be a walkie talkie probably to stay pin touch with other apple employees at store.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
"Congrats, this is the only one the store has in stock"

-Tim Cook, greeting the first customer while accepting his iPhone 6+

ericschmerick

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
I think this is awesome. The CEO of a $180 billion company meeting and greeting customers in a t-shirt on a public sidewalk. Whether or not you think the hype around each new Apple product is crazy, there is a genuine passion and enthusiasm here that just doesn't exist for basically any other company or product, and that passion exists both inside and outside the company.

iFalcon

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2007
Nah...

Tim is just visiting a Genious rep to figure out where his camera roll and all the missing pictures have went with iOS 8.

scottwaugh

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Chicago
I think this is awesome. The CEO of a $180 billion company meeting and greeting customers in a t-shirt on a public sidewalk. Whether or not you think the hype around each new Apple product is crazy, there is a genuine passion and enthusiasm here that just doesn't exist for basically any other company or product, and that passion exists both inside and outside the company.

So well said...

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
Nah...

Tim is just visiting a Genious rep to figure out where his camera roll and all the missing pictures have went with iOS 8.

ha.. you mean all the people who decided to download iOS8 through WIFI or carrier after assuming they had to delete 6GB free space in order to do so? most of us just did it on our computers after a logical backup, as recommended... tim cook most likely included (about 6 months ago).

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2010
here and there but not over there

the CEO of the company I work for won't even talk to or look at most employees .....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.