Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Anyone else getting this error? I can't activate my iPhone 6+ using iTunes, over wifi, or cellular.

Here is the error:

AT&T was unable to verify your identity using the information you entered. It could be as simple as a typo. Please re-check your information and try again.

My information is correct. I've lived in this zip code for 10+ years and obviously know my own social security number.

What to do?!

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Anyone else getting this error? I can't activate my iPhone 6+ using iTunes, over wifi, or cellular.

Here is the error:

My information is correct. I've lived in this zip code for 10+ years and obviously know my own social security number.

What to do?!

I'm sure their servers are overloaded. Happens every year.

aidancbrady

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
Having this exact same problem. Sure it's a server issue?

EDIT: Called Apple and they directed me to AT&T, went to my local AT&T store and they said to make an appointment at an Apple store. Should I do so or wait it out?

Last edited:

Animaniac

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2004
Cambridge, MA
I have the same exact problem... It connects to the activation server, but does not accept my zip and last 4. I spoke with Apple, they directed me to AT&T. AT&T swapped IMEI etc. to the new phone on their side (deactivating my old phone), and it still doesn't work. They spoke with Apple, and Apple was unwilling to help, but said Apple was missing all my information... AT&T is now calling Apple again. What a mess.

Mjmar

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2008
You need to put the last four digits of the account holders social, not necessarily your own.

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
This happened to me... Actually hung up on me when I called to activate.

This is what I did and it worked:

Turn iPhone 6 on, go through the setup process. Use CELL SERVICE to activate. My other phone service turned off and had to restart the 6 and all was good.

I was using ATT Next so the phone number was on file to update on the 6. Not sure if thats what you were doing or not.

Dgsaijin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Same thing

This is the same thing that's been happening to me. Bounced back between Apple and AT&T and none know what to do. Did a full restore and same issue. Did what above post said to use CELL and nothing. Any help is appreciated. Really want to use my new iPhone already.

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
This is the same thing that's been happening to me. Bounced back between Apple and AT&T and none know what to do. Did a full restore and same issue. Did what above post said to use CELL and nothing. Any help is appreciated. Really want to use my new iPhone already.

Are you using ATT Next? Buy it outright or upgrade on another line?

Dgsaijin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Are you using ATT Next? Buy it outright or upgrade on another line?

I am using ATT Next. Already has my phone number in, asking for zip and last 4 digits both of Account holder's info, which I know is correct because the other person on the account also purchased a new iPhone 6 and they used the same info I am typing in and they went through just fine.

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Issue is still not resolved. I have called ATT and Apple both. Got no where. My old iPhone 5S is still deactivated so I have NO PHONE.

I visited the ATT store in the mall and they had no idea either. We don't have a Apple store here, but do have a Simply Mac store. They gave me a brand new micro sim card which also didn't work.

I have now attempting to restore the iPhone (which simply mac recommended)

I am the ONLY person on my account. I have a individual plan and have lived in the same damn household/zip code for 10+ years. I have should have the most simplest activation process, yet, its the worst possible scenario.

Any idea? This is also for ATT Next.

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
I am using ATT Next. Already has my phone number in, asking for zip and last 4 digits both of Account holder's info, which I know is correct because the other person on the account also purchased a new iPhone 6 and they used the same info I am typing in and they went through just fine.
Ok, so the phone number on your last phone you used ATT next with on the iPhone 6 I would assume? When you try to activate the 6 with cell phone service. What happens?

----------

Issue is still not resolved. I have called ATT and Apple both. Got no where. My old iPhone 5S is still deactivated so I have NO PHONE.

I visited the ATT store in the mall and they had no idea either. We don't have a Apple store here, but do have a Simply Mac store. They gave me a brand new micro sim card which also didn't work.

I am the ONLY person on my account. I have a individual plan and have lived in the same damn household/zip code for 10+ years. I have should have the most simplest activation process, yet, its the worst possible scenario.

Any idea?

Try what I said but I am using ATT Next on this phone so not sure if its the same process for you.

Dgsaijin

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
Ok, so the phone number on your last phone you used ATT next with on the iPhone 6 I would assume? When you try to activate the 6 with cell phone service. What happens?

Tells me the same thing when I tried using Wifi to activate. "Att cannot verify identity. Maybe it was a typing error please try again."

bryancee

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
Tells me the same thing when I tried using Wifi to activate. "Att cannot verify identity. Maybe it was a typing error please try again."

Hmm.... Interesting. Maybe the servers are all jammed up at the moment? What I did is what I listed and worked. I couldn't even get someone to activate it on the phone at ATT. It just activated when I went through the setup on the 6.

Animaniac

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2004
Cambridge, MA

Any idea? This is also for ATT Next.

I'm in the same situation. No luck with either Apple or AT&T. Apple thinks it's the AT&T activation servers being overloaded and/or buggy. AT&T says they're activating millions of phones, so to them, it's a bad SIM or device. I think AT&T is trying to pass the buck and create more work for me, so I haven't changed the SIM or allowed them to replace the device. It's pretty clear the AT&T service is reporting back the wrong response, especially since the same error hits the phone itself and iTunes when trying it that way.

I'm on a family plan, and I'm using the primary account holder's information. I had a "reservation" when I originally ordered the phone from the Apple website. I'm also on a grandfathered unlimited data plan. I needed to change the shipping address, since I don't live with the primary account holder, but that information did not work either.

----------

These old threads from the 5s launch seem to suggest the issue will magically go away.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1644487/

From one post on the Apple boards today, it seems the fix could be to replace the iPhone 6.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6544780

I'm loathe to do this, since the device itself is brand new and without any other issue (e.g., scratches, dead pixels, etc.)

CrackerJackToy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 1, 2011
Im on the phone with Apple again now. (after a 30 minute wait, jesus) -They are now patching me through with a senior advisor and mentioned they may have to get an engineer involved.

I have explained in great detail for the reps about ALL of our problems here at MacRumors and that I'm not the only one with this issue. Lets hope we find a resolution.

Systemwars

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I'm about ready to go to Apple Store and demand a new phone. Have spent 2-3 hours on phone between ATT and Apple trying to get this resolved

danmanstx

macrumors newbie
Mar 23, 2009
Lexington, Ky
same error, iPhone 6+ 64gb white. Also made a reservation through the apple store app for AT&T and am not the primary account holder. Was on the phone with AT&T for over 2 hours and then they passed me to apple for about 45mins before he had to go for the day. No luck and no answers.

Nye1011

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
I had the same issue earlier. ATT changed my billing address, but it never made it over to apples side when I preordered last Friday. I used my old zip code ATT had for me and it worked right away.

Kobebean

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2014
I made an account just to confirm that i have been sent around by almost everyone inside apple and att including a senior apple advisor or whatever and they all claim they have never heard of this problem, yet theres bunch of people here and on other sites experiencing it?

I am trying tomorrow and if that doesnt work im going to get it swapped at the apple store as someone said that worked for them, and i am demanding a storage increase (from 16GB to 64) because this issue led to two nonworking phones and has cost me atleast 300 dollars in the last 7 (!!!) hours

Although its a crappy situation its good to know im not alone

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
this was happening to me, and changing my billing address back to what it was when the order was placed fixed it. not sure if any of you changed your address after.

Systemwars

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
I had the same issue earlier. ATT changed my billing address, but it never made it over to apples side when I preordered last Friday. I used my old zip code ATT had for me and it worked right away.

Hmm this is interesting.

Right before I ordered my iPhone 6 through the Apple Store I changed my ATT billing/shipping address so that the phone would be delivered to my work.

I was assured by ATT and Apple that the phone would be shipped to my updated work address even though the APple order page said it would ship to my home address.

Well ATT and Apple were wrong, it shipped to my home address.

Maybe I should try changing my ATT billing/shipping again (to the address my phone was shipped to) and try again

Nye1011

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2010
Hmm this is interesting.

Right before I ordered my iPhone 6 through the Apple Store I changed my ATT billing/shipping address so that the phone would be delivered to my work.

I was assured by ATT and Apple that the phone would be shipped to my updated work address even though the APple order page said it would ship to my home address.

Well ATT and Apple were wrong, it shipped to my home address.

Maybe I should try changing my ATT billing/shipping again (to the address my phone was shipped to) and try again

I didn't have to change anything when I had this particular error. I just used the zip code where it went to (Apple for some reason never made the address change after 3 phone calls... which is another story)!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.