Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Your iPhone 6 Defective In Any Way?

• Total voters

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Any on the 6 and 6 Plus so far?...backlight bleed, dead pixels, dents, dings off the bat?

Didn't mean to start a depressing thread but since I'm trying to get one still, I want to have an idea of how the initial units are doing so far.

Last edited:

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
The vibrate on my 6 feels different, and it's a bit louder, but doesn't bother me.

One issue so far is that my 6 seems to be getting really warm. But it's loading photos from iCloud, updating apps and all kinds of other stuff in the background, so I have a feeling of that is the more likely issue right now.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
iPhone 6 Defects?

Yellowing in top left and dust bottom right. 6 64GB space grey. Week 32. Dust is a problem Apple never seem to be able to eradicate.

Back it goes. I'll wait for a while and try again.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Yellowing in top left and dust bottom right. 6 64GB space grey. Week 32. Dust is a problem Apple never seem to be able to eradicate.

Oh wow! I'm quite surprised there is dust under the glass..aren't the glass and LCD fused together?

goonie4life9

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Call Apple

I would recommend calling Apple. When I had a defect with my launch-day iPhone 5, I was sent a new one (white box that had been opened and inspected) immediately (it arrived that Monday, three days after the Friday launch).

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Dang, looks like mine has an issue. It looks like a pixel is stuck on extra bright or something and noticeable when viewing white (it doesn't shine when it's displaying black). Here's a picture I took of it.
bhsr08Q.jpg

Tried hard reboots and no luck.

I may go with the call to apple route rather than braving the store again.

oulhaggy

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Dang, looks like mine has an issue. It looks like a pixel is stuck on extra bright or something and noticeable when viewing white (it doesn't shine when it's displaying black). Here's a picture I took of it. Image

I have this issue too :/ Gold 64GB iPhone 6.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Dang, looks like mine has an issue. It looks like a pixel is stuck on extra bright or something and noticeable when viewing white (it doesn't shine when it's displaying black). Here's a picture I took of it. Image

That looks like a white blotch that's also common on MacBook LCDs. I forgot what they're called but they are supposed to be a physical artifact, not a lighted or dead pixel. Hope you get it replaced quickly.

ajm222

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Seem to have a tiny mark at the corner of the apple on the back of the phone. Will have to look closer later (though I'm afraid to find anything else wrong with it). Maybe it will come off. Not a deal breaker if not. Already threw screen protector and case on it. Screen seems ok. Again, afraid to look too close :)

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
That looks like a white blotch that's also common on MacBook LCDs. I forgot what they're called but they are supposed to be a physical artifact, not a lighted or dead pixel. Hope you get it replaced quickly.

Thanks for the info. So by artifact, do you mean some kind of contaminant like dust is causing this?

motorazr

macrumors 6502
64GB iPhone 6, space grey. Thought I saw some yellowing at the top of the screen, decided I'd check the forums... sure enough, sounds like this is the model with that possibly happening. I'll wait a few days and take it in then... no point in trying until demand calms down a bit!

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Thanks for the info. So by artifact, do you mean some kind of contaminant like dust is causing this?

As I understand, it is a defect in the material, not a contaminant. There's supposed to be some filter inside that block unnecessary light from the backlight. If that filter has a hole, then a bright blotch can be seen through. That also explains why you don't see it in a dark screen.

Please don't quote me on this...I'm not an LCD manufacturer. Just giving you info I've gathered from 'seemingly' intelligent friends, LOL!

btoryos

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
Hey all,

iPhone 6 64GB Space Gray here with some kind of artifact or broken pixel near the center of my screen. I called Apple support, but they were so busy that they had to reschedule and will call me again in a few hours. Really sucks, never had to go through this with my 5 or 5S.

Hopefully Apple will give some kind of gift for the inconvenience :p

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
Hey all,

iPhone 6 64GB Space Gray here with some kind of artifact or broken pixel near the center of my screen. I called Apple support, but they were so busy that they had to reschedule and will call me again in a few hours. Really sucks, never had to go through this with my 5 or 5S.

You might have the same issue as me. Did you see the picture I posted a couple posts back?

I think I'm going to wait until Monday or so before trying to contact Apple if it's so busy.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
Hey all,

They don't give gifts for their screw ups unfortunately but rest assured you'll be sent a replacement.

I've been through many replacements for my iPhone 5 but not due to the screen. My guess is, the bigger the screen the more obvious the defects can be on the 6. Good luck.

btoryos

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2013
You might have the same issue as me. Did you see the picture I posted a couple posts back?

I think I'm going to wait until Monday or so before trying to contact Apple if it's so busy.

I think we are on the same boat, here's a picture of mine.

15288144111_faa1d505c1_c.jpg

----------

They don't give gifts for their screw ups unfortunately but rest assured you'll be sent a replacement.

I've been through many replacements for my iPhone 5 but not due to the screen. My guess is, the bigger the screen the more obvious the defects can be on the 6. Good luck.

That's true, I've never gotten anything more or less from Apple.

Regarding replacements how does it work? They send a new one in first and then I send my old one. Or do I send my old one first and then they send me a new one?

Just curious, I've never gone through this. I'm hoping they tell me the local Apple store has replacement units in stock.

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
I realise I'll probably get accused of trolling now but I love Apple products and use nothing else (apart from a Nexus 7) but increasingly if I buy at launch, I experience dust and/or yellowing problems. iPad Air was especially bad.

I'm sure part of this is because I look for them now - but it really hacks me off. I could call Apple and get a replacement but you then get into the cycle where you receive the replacement and it's gone past 14 days and you can't return it and have to start wrestling with the Genius Bar.

And for £619 I'm not prepared to put up with the hassle. I'll try again in a month or so and see what happens.

To be honest, while I know that each generation phone is more technologically advanced than the previous, I think since the spectacular 4 format, each generation becomes just a little bit more cheaply made.

On the 6, I'm not sure about the curved glass edges - seem very vulnerable to me.

And for the punchline - I have purchased Nexus, Galaxy, HTC phones many times over the past few years (and sold them because I can't live with Android) - but never once had any screen issues of any kind.

donster28

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 5, 2006
Great White North
I realise I'll probably get accused of trolling now but I love Apple products and use nothing else (apart from a Nexus 7) but increasingly if I buy at launch, I experience dust and/or yellowing problems. iPad Air was especially bad.

I'm sure part of this is because I look for them now - but it really hacks me off. I could call Apple and get a replacement but you then get into the cycle where you receive the replacement and it's gone past 14 days and you can't return it and have to start wrestling with the Genius Bar.

And for £619 I'm not prepared to put up with the hassle. I'll try again in a month or so and see what happens.

To be honest, while I know that each generation phone is more technologically advanced than the previous, I think since the spectacular 4 format, each generation becomes just a little bit more cheaply made.

On the 6, I'm not sure about the curved glass edges - seem very vulnerable to me.

And for the punchline - I have purchased Nexus, Galaxy, HTC phones many times over the past few years (and sold them because I can't live with Android) - but never once had any screen issues of any kind.

I agree with you about loving Apple products except for the fact that quality control has gone down somewhat.

Dust under the screen should not even be an issue with these nowadays because Apple has since gone with 'fused' displays. The dust issue some are reporting is baffling to me because I've seen how an iPhone fused display is made. But then again, they can never be too careful right?... especially when they have to rush thousands upon thousands of initial units.

I don't feel bad not getting a chance to purchase my 6 Plus this morning after lining up for 3 hours. Maybe the subsequent batches are a lot better...I can wait another week or two.

We just need to voice these issues out as early as possible to get them sorted out immediately.

----------

Can you take pic of the dust?

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
As I understand, it is a defect in the material, not a contaminant. There's supposed to be some filter inside that block unnecessary light from the backlight. If that filter has a hole, then a bright blotch can be seen through. That also explains why you don't see it in a dark screen.

Please don't quote me on this...I'm not an LCD manufacturer. Just giving you info I've gathered from 'seemingly' intelligent friends, LOL!

Well again thanks for sharing the info. I started chatting with applecare online and the person I talked to mentioned it sounds like it is a foreign material like you said. Here's a support page that talks about it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4044?viewlocale=en_US

I'm trying to get a replacement sent to me rather than me go in store again. Was there enough today to last few a year lol.

markmbsc

macrumors newbie
Jan 7, 2013

Same here but more pronounced/brighter. Only on the white or light background. I'm going to call Apple tomorrow and see what they say. No stores near me here in northwest Florida.

chrise2

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2012
My 6+ screen is horrible. there are vertical lines on the entire right side of the screen that go up and down the entire length of the screen. They actually kind of go away after the phone has been on for a bit, but then come back the next time I take the phone out of my pocket. Also, the touch screen stops responding sometimes and I have to turn the display off and back on. That might get solved with a reboot, but I don't want to do that until my phone finishes restoring. Looks like I'll be going to the genius bar. Yay... Hopefully they have replacement 6 Pluses.

ok.Eric

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2008
I ended up doing an online chat with applecare instead of a phone call and they are sending me a replacement. I did have to provide an authorization credit card to insure I send back the defect iPhone though. Hopefully it'll arrive quick!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.