Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

InternetDude08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 16, 2009
So the next "Antennagate" will be the iPhone boxes themselves.

I say Apple should put a small vent in the bottom half of the boxes so when you open it, it does not fly open and have the phone drop on the concrete. A vent would get rid of that vacuum and give you a better "unboxing" experience.

Who's with me?

jayiw

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2012
I thought this post was going to be about the smell of the inside of the box... of which I happen to love. mmmmm that smell.

Anyway, yes the box has some good suction. All I thought of is that video of the kid that dropped his. I was really REALLY careful. I think that kid is a marter for this. For his sacrifice we are all a bit more cautious now.

Sherifftruman

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
For real. Hardest box to open on any iPhone LoL. Be very careful with it

I noticed it was harder than the previous phones too. Either they have reduced the difference between top and bottom halves or the reduced volume from making the boxes smaller and smaller causes it.

tekchic

macrumors 68020
Apr 19, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
I saw that video last night and I VERY gently and carefully opened my box today over a table at the Apple Store. No issues, but I could see how it might happen if you were quick to pop the cover.

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
So the next "Antennagate" will be the iPhone boxes themselves.

I say Apple should put a small vent in the bottom half of the boxes so when you open it, it does not fly open and have the phone drop on the concrete. A vent would get rid of that vacuum and give you a better "unboxing" experience.

Who's with me?

You can start by doing a live experiment with your own box, place a small vent and send us a video if the box opens more easily.

Sometimes it is better to seal the boxes better like they are right now because they travel from China to Alaska, to central USA to final destination, and then to every office of UPS, or every store of Apple.

I am sure that Apple has decided that they want boxes 100% closed than with some type of vent.

rrm74001

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
The guy in the video was nervous and was trying to get it open ASAP for the camera. I don't think it is a common occurrence.

I really don't think this even compares to "antenna-gate", which was blown way out of proportion by the media in the first place. Could a better packaging be designed? Sure. But it is difficult to justify the effort for the 1-2 times you open the box.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.