Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Verizon began rolling out its Advanced Calling service earlier this week, enabling voice over LTE (VoLTE) capabilities for select devices that support the service, which includes the iPhone 6 and the iPhone 6 Plus.

Numerous iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users are reporting that the VoLTE service is now functional, allowing Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users to use simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the first time when connected to a 4G LTE network. MacRumors has confirmed that VoLTE is indeed working, enabling users to browse the web or access apps while on a voice call.

verizonvolte.jpg

In addition to enabling simultaneous voice and data, Verizon's Advanced Calling features also allow for High-Definition voice calls, which are said to be more "natural-sounding" and Verizon-branded video calls.
Advanced Calling 1.0, a first-generation service suite enabled by Voice over LTE, or VoLTE, technology, is now available on America's largest and most reliable 4G LTE network with XLTE. With Advanced Calling 1.0, there is a clear difference. You will be able to enjoy natural-sounding High-Definition (HD) Voice and a Video Calling experience that's as simple as making a traditional voice call.
Users can enabled Advanced Calling features by visiting the Verizon website and adding the feature to their accounts. Users also need to make sure both Voice and Data are turned on in the iPhone's Settings app. Go to Settings --> Cellular --> Enable LTE --> Tap Voice & Data.

advancedcalling.jpg

Verizon's Advanced Calling features are limited to the iPhone 6, the iPhone 6 Plus, the LG G2, and the Samsung Galaxy S5.

(Thanks, Will!)

Article Link: Simultaneous Voice/Data, HD Voice Now Available to Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Users

Last edited:

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
A proper treatment of this subject would also include the reason why older LTE phones are excluded.

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Everything is finally right in the world. Signed loyal verizon customer that was tired of defending himself to ATT folks.

Last edited:

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
When I went to add it on Verizon's site, it said it was already enabled. Probably because I selected Voice and Data on my phone first. This tells me logging into Verizon's site isn't needed to add the feature, you only need to enabled it on your iPhone 6.

Macboy Pro

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
AT&T has had this since the second iPhone. Let me be the first to welcome Verizon to 2008.

Last edited:

metzy25

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2011
When I went to add it on Verizon's site, it said it was already enabled. Probably because I selected Voice and Data on my phone first. This tells me logging into Verizon's site isn't needed to add the feature, you only need to enabled it on your iPhone 6.
Where can you see if it's enabled or not? I went my verizon and couldn't find anything.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
Simple

A proper treatment of this subject would also include the reason why older LTE phones are excluded.

The LTE chips used in the older phones do not support receiving both data and voice at the same time. It's really that simple. The chips that support this are relatively new. Previously, this would've only been possible having two separate LTE chips, which would've been way more expensive, and worst of all, battery hungry. And even then you'd have problems with the operators sending two streams to the same address space whilst splitting it between two chips. Possible, but not really something anyone would want to deal with. Further reading can be found on Anandtech. They always got the tech side covered.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009

Same thing happened here.

Turned it on on the phone first, checked Verizon site, and it was already turned on.

casperes1996

macrumors 604
Jan 26, 2014
Horsens, Denmark
What?

AT&T has had this since the first iPhone. Let me be the first to welcome Verizon to 2007.

Where do you have your data from? Cause that's just plain not true.
VoLTE chips are pretty darn new. That's why it's limited to those new devices. LTE was even new in '07. And when I say new, I mean not even finalised.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
Wow 0.7 MB download - I guess that is not even 3G speed? My daughter's old iPhone 4S (which is not even LTE capable) on T-mobile can do simultaneous voice and data and she gets 5-8 MB downloads while on a call.

screensaver400

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2005
AT&T has had this since the first iPhone. Let me be the first to welcome Verizon to 2007.

False. The first iPhone didn't support 3G, and therefore didn't support simultaneous voice-and-data. And it obviously didn't support VoLTE either.

VoLTE provides many benefits in addition to simultaneous voice-and-data, including higher quality calls.

trunksu

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2008
Where do you have your data from? Cause that's just plain not true.
VoLTE chips are pretty darn new. That's why it's limited to those new devices. LTE was even new in '07. And when I say new, I mean not even finalised.

i think he's referring to how AT&T (or GSM) have always been able to talk and surf on the iPhone at the same time.

TheBuffather

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2009
Orlando, FL
Where can you see if it's enabled or not? I went my verizon and couldn't find anything.

I just clicked on the link MacRumors posted. It showed me the phones on my account, I selected my iPhone 6, and it said it was enabled. The only option was to remove it from the line.

dbc34

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014

And att still doesn't have coverage in my area while vzw beams with perfect service everywhere around me! Welcome to 1992

proline

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2012
The LTE chips used in the older phones do not support receiving both data and voice at the same time. It's really that simple.
That's nonsense. FaceTime can easily support voice + data over LTE on any device. This is definitely something that could be solved with proper software. The phone companies should not be treating voice any differently from any other data stream.

theanimala

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2007
"allowing Verizon iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users to use simultaneous voice and data capabilities for the first time when connected to a 4G LTE or Wi-Fi network."

This is false, the Verizon iPhone has always been able to have both voice and data when connected to a Wi-Fi network. This is the first time when not connected to wifi. I too just tested it and it works great. Logged into my Verizon account and the feature was already activated. This will be great when not in a wifi area as I do use my iPhone to actually make a lot of calls for work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.