Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
So I went in to look at phones in store (9/25ish delivery for me) and I was at the display desk for the iPhones.

Nearby there was some early-20-something average dude with his gf waiting in the main phone line about to get checkout by a worker.

I was holding both phones just looking, and he made a loud annoying comment like yeah, I would never get that one its way too big.

In my mind I snapped, but not before I returned an even more annoying blow.

See the way he said it right when I was fondling the 5.5 with the 4.7 next to it I could tell he was wanting to get that hater energy out there so I could hear it. Maybe agree or comment with him? I dunno.

It defined him at the time yunno? It represented the essence of his swag like how he was feeling these days. A pretty simple seeming guy. His girlfriend standing by his side. I wasn't even talking to him but he was being all chatty cuz who knows how long he had been waiting in line for pick up.

So I felt this surge of irritation so I hit back with the totally unexpected: "CANT AFFORD THE BIG BOY PHONE HUH? HAHAHA" (With that fake, old man from the 80s laugh)

It was the perfect level of basal ignorance to combat his.

It hits them in two spots and if you want to have the last laugh this season thats how cheap you gotta go.

I wasn't even talking to anyone just minding my business. Don't try to small talk me with some basic bs. I didn't ask for your opinion.

Honestly people are getting really petty this time around out in public.

I feel like the 6Plus is more awesome than ever because of the polarizing nature. You know you're doing something right when people are all insecure.

So if people are gonna have cheap one liners, we are gonna need cheap rebuttals to get through the season.

GoSh4rks

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
And people wonder why Apple fans get a bad rap. No, I'm not talking about the guy that made the first (innocent) comment.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
And people wonder why Apple fans get a bad rap. No, I'm not talking about the guy that made the first (innocent) comment.

It wasn't innocent. I could tell he's been going around just parroting that to everyone completely not understanding the scope of the new class of size or the purpose of it and that some people prefer that trade off.

This guy was generic.

I can tell he rambled on like that about it. It wasn't just an innocent comment the way he said it. You can tell there was a hidden agenda behind his dissonance for the Plus.

----------

Lol just enjoy the phone.

Why do you always post in my threads with a generic useless comment always opposite of what Im trying to talk about?

Pls dont stalk my posts and threads thanks. Im noticing a pattern from you.

boshii

macrumors 68040
Jul 6, 2008
Atlanta, GA
It wasn't innocent. I could tell he's been going around just parroting that to everyone completely not understanding the scope of the new class of size or the purpose of it and that some people prefer that trade off.

This guy was generic.

I can tell he rambled on like that about it. It wasn't just an innocent comment the way he said it. You can tell there was a hidden agenda behind his dissonance for the Plus.

----------

Why do you always post in my threads with a generic useless comment always opposite of what Im trying to talk about?

Pls dont stalk my posts and threads thanks. Im noticing a pattern from you.
What? How many of "your" threads have I posted in?

I'm not sure why you're getting so defensive of your phone. I was just saying enjoy it.

burgman

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2013

This guy was generic.

As long as you realize that you are that guy then ok.

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
I feel like the 6Plus is more awesome than ever because of the polarizing nature. You know you're doing something right when people are all insecure.

So if people are gonna have cheap one liners, we are gonna need cheap rebuttals to get through the season.

Wow, someone commented that the Plus is too big for them? The nerve! We better all collectively start insulting them and then crying on MacRumors about it! :rolleyes:

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
Why do you need to have a 'last laugh', let alone with someone you don't even know?

QFT

Why not?

The thing is people arent just out there being neutral about their opinions.

People need to form mini campaigns and feel like there is a pattern of people liking what they like, and they imagine a critical mass forming of people who all agree what they think and they need it to be a significant angle that they can gather behind and subconsciously self justify.

So what works for these people are cheap one liners.

Now I couldn't sit there and debate the guy right? Or explain whole essays worth of context and the tradeoffs and so on.

All I could do was beat him at his own game.

its gotta be fast and snappy, easy to execute and has to land as a sticking point without much depth. Like quick blurbs and talking points how the media spins them to be easily replicable over mass amounts of ppl...

You gotta use BUZZ WORDS and one liners that hit deep. There's no time for anything else..

Last edited:

asleep

macrumors 68040
Sep 26, 2007
Geez, let it go. While that guy has moved on with his life having totally forgotten about you, you're still carrying him around in your head giving him rent free space in your dome and posting meticulously thought/worded topics on an internet forum all of this time later. Who owns who?

Sticks and stones, man... it's just a phone.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
You could have said "I don't blame you, once your girlfriend gets something this big in her hand she'll leave you"

just cause its so funny his girl is bound to laugh :D

Bentox

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Now I couldn't sit there and debate the guy right? Or explain whole essays worth of context and the tradeoffs and so on.

All I could do was beat him at his own game.

1) Another option would be to ignore him and just keep to yourself since what he says has nothing to do with you. There is no need to 'correct' him. He has no impact or influence on you, and is just a stranger doing his thing.

2) It's not a game, it's not a competition.

3) Now I'm starting to get the idea that you're either trolling or trying to illustrate some metaphor of the forum.

miamialley

macrumors 68040
Jul 28, 2008
California, USA
Why do you have to be so concerned with what HE thinks of your phone choice? If he's so generic and insignificant then why he is renting space in your head?

CoilTap

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2014
OP, my advice is to refrain from escalating childish altercations. You never know when that type of behavior is going to put you in a situation you don't want to be in.

Bobby Corwen

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 16, 2010
You could have said "I don't blame you, once your girlfriend gets something this big in her hand she'll leave you"

just cause its so funny his girl is bound to laugh :D

No thats not ignorant enough. that just makes it mean/rude.

To really rustle people deep, its gotta be an ignorant comment that you deliver, and walk away, knowing it would take an essay to rebuttal the topic.

You gotta find cheap ways to deliver a booby trap that is simple to "cause the problem" aka raise an issue, but is hard to "fix" it. If that makes sense.

Just say it, then walk away laughing before people have the chance to even address your ignorance.

Thats what people do when they say something they know gets under peoples skin but they hide underneath the guise that its "JUST THEIR OPINION" so you can't do anything about it.

But if it was that innocent they wouldn't knowingly be so passive aggressive about their mere "opinion."

I mean the way the guy at the store said it you can tell he was just trying to get validation from people around him. Almost trying to cause a scene and expected everyone to unanimously agree with him even though its clearly a polarizing and complex topic and choice.

Bentox

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
Oh wait - I just checked out the OP's instagram link in his sig.
Are you just competitive by nature? That's a good thing in many instances, but there's a time to let things go.

vitacura

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2014
Life is so much better when one doesn't let small, unimportant comments get to them and give them the need to retort and possibly escalate the situation. Especially with so many people armed nowadays. Who knows what little comment will cause a regrettable situation.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
No thats not ignorant enough. that just makes it mean/rude.

To really rustle people deep, its gotta be an ignorant comment that you deliver, and walk away, knowing it would take an essay to rebuttal the topic.

You gotta find cheap ways to deliver a booby trap that is simple to "cause the problem" aka raise an issue, but is hard to "fix" it. If that makes sense.

Just say it, then walk away laughing before people have the chance to even address your ignorance.

Thats what people do when they say something they know gets under peoples skin but they hide underneath the guise that its "JUST THEIR OPINION" so you can't do anything about it.

But if it was that innocent they wouldn't knowingly be so passive aggressive about their mere "opinion."

I mean the way the guy at the store said it you can tell he was just trying to get validation from people around him. Almost trying to cause a scene and expected everyone to unanimously agree with him even though its clearly a polarizing and complex topic and choice.

I think your missing the point which is why people in this thread are saying what they are to you. diffuse with humour young man diffuse and walk on

Hendry

macrumors member
May 30, 2011
Oh wait - I just checked out the OP's instagram link in his sig.
Are you just competitive by nature? That's a good thing in many instances, but there's a time to let things go.

LOL. Looking at his instagram, he's either a troll or a huge tool. Probably both.

AdonisSMU

macrumors 604
Oct 23, 2010
At my office people readily admitted they were hating because they were trying to justify their 4.7 inch phones. So I get that much of the size criticism is not warranted and people feel the need to justify their own purchasing decisions. I have an iPhone Plus and couldnt be happier with it.

Benny-

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2009
Berlin
Over a phone really? You both sound equally silly.
I checked the plus out yesterday to get a feel for the form before committing £700 on an order.
I'm glad I didn't order blindly. I said to my girlfriend that it looks overly big to be comfortable to carry and talk on.
Her comments where much more negative. If someone would've said "What's wrong, can't you afford the big boy phone" I would've been taken aback by the rudeness and childishness of that person.
So what if he had a hidden agenda, it's a phone. You'll buy one and I'm sure you'll love it and I hope you do. It's not a phone for everyone and will get negative remarks like everything else on the market does. Be the bigger man ;) and ignore it. Snobby comments are the worst, you don't know his financials.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.