Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gurkensaft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Hi,

there's some odd gear icon in my menu bar which appears every few seconds but immediately disappears again. It's not clickable either. It looks like this:

gear%20icon.png

I've checked all my startup items in my user settings, but I couldn't find the application this icon could belong to. I've also checked the activity monitor to find the affected process.

Does anybody have an idea which application could cause this problem? It's really annoying, because this icon keeps appearing and disappearing for the whole session, it just won't stop.

Is there maybe a way in OS X to keep track of all applications that put themselves in your menu bar? Like some kind of system folder? I've tried Bartender to maybe hide the item but it's not showing up in there either.

Thanks for your help.

Gurkensaft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014

Thanks for your reply. It really looks like the automator icon. Unfortunately I don't have the slightest clue of Automator and therefore no idea how there could be an automated workflow running.

I've checked the Folder Action configuration though, and there was a script from the 'GoodSync' application running. I thought this might have caused automator to run every few seconds, but after deleting the script and disabling GoodSync auto-run, the icon is still appearing, so I'm really clueless right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.