Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrentMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Citrus Heights, California USA
Hello, I just bought a used 2008 20" 2.4 ghz iMac. I haven't used macs in a long time. I would like to make and image of the hard drive as it is right now, so that I can just roll it back to its current state.

I am looking at firewire 800 external hard drives to buy one to use with this machine.

Does anyone have any advice on drives and the best way to make an image of the drive?

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Get whatever drive you want and do a Restore using Disk Utility.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Hello, I just bought a used 2008 20" 2.4 ghz iMac. I haven't used macs in a long time. I would like to make and image of the hard drive as it is right now, so that I can just roll it back to its current state.

I am looking at firewire 800 external hard drives to buy one to use with this machine.

Does anyone have any advice on drives and the best way to make an image of the drive?

Just get whatever FW800 drive you can get the best price on. Not much difference among them. if I could make a suggestion... you will pay a big premium for FW800 over USB for a drive it does not sound like you will be using daily and speed won't be much of an issue. I would just get a USB external and go with that for about half the price of a FW800.

Like Pakaku mentioned, you can use Disk Utility that comes with your Mac to clone the drive. Just go to the restore tab and drag the internal partition (usually Macintosh HD) to the source filed and drag the destination partition to the destination field then click restore and it will clone the drive.

BrentMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Partitioning

Should I partition the External HDD? I though maybe I could have a partition for the image and then use the rest of the space for backups of data that I put on it later. I thought I would leave it plugged in and learn that time machine app.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.
I would like to make and image of the hard drive as it is right now, so that I can just roll it back to its current state.

Options for this include.

Apple's Disk Utility
SuperDuper!
Carbon Copy Cloner

That's probably a good option given the machine, I'd look at duo or quad interface external hard drives for future proofing.

Does anyone have any advice on drives?

Personally if it was me today. I would buy an enclosure from OWC or NewerTech one that incorporates FireWire 800 and USB3 and then I would choose to install a Western Digital Green hard drive.

But I haven't purchased any direct connectable storage in quite a while now. As you can see from my signature I have a lot of the no longer sold "WD My Book Studio" drive's that included FireWire 800, USB2 and eSATA. Which you may be able to find still online new.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Should I partition the External HDD? I though maybe I could have a partition for the image and then use the rest of the space for backups of data that I put on it later. I thought I would leave it plugged in and learn that time machine app.

Yes that will work fine. Just make one partition for the clone (same size as internal drive) then partition the rest and use it for the TM backup.

Kyle-K

macrumors regular
Aug 23, 2014
Regional, Western Australia.

Okay what do you need an image for then? If it's so you have a copy of the OS? Just make and installation USB drive. If it's for backup and this drive is going to be used for backup I would do two partition's one for the clone which I would update occasionally, and I would use the second partition for Time Machine.

BrentMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
Image of iMac hard drive

The reason I want an image is to be able to restore the computer with all software, not just the OS.

Weaselboy said I need to make the partition the same size as the internal drive.
1. Does it need to be exact to the byte?
2. This image will then take up 250 gigs to image the drive even though almost all of it is free space. Now I am thinking of adding my data, so that that I will get better use of the 250 gig image. As long as it's going to take up all that space it might as well have my data in the image too right?

What format should I use? I hear there is one the mac can format in that can be read by a PC.

I picked up a WD my passport ultra 2tb USB 2.0/3.0 for my Imac. I intend to make a partition for the image, and the rest for time machine backups. Is there any other reason to make more partitions?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Weaselboy said I need to make the partition the same size as the internal drive.
1. Does it need to be exact to the byte?

I only said that so the partition would be large enough so if you add more data to the drive it would fit should you update the clone, but no... for now it only needs to be large enough to fit the data on the source drive.

2. This image will then take up 250 gigs to image the drive even though almost all of it is free space. Now I am thinking of adding my data, so that that I will get better use of the 250 gig image. As long as it's going to take up all that space it might as well have my data in the image too right?

That's what I would do.

What format should I use? I hear there is one the mac can format in that can be read by a PC.

For the clone and TM backup both it will require Mac OS Extended format to work.

Both the MS-DOS (FAT) and ExFAT file formats available in Disk Utility are read/write both on Mac and PC if you want to use that to move some data back and forth.

I picked up a WD my passport ultra 2tb USB 2.0/3.0 for my Imac. I intend to make a partition for the image, and the rest for time machine backups. Is there any other reason to make more partitions?

Only if you want to use the drive to store some other files on there.

I'm reading about time machine on the Apple site. I think maybe I don't need an image in a partition. Maybe I can just give the whole drive to time machine.

Yes you can and you can use that to completely restore to a new drive if your internal drive dies. You would pop in a new drive then option key boot to the TM disk. That takes you to a recovery screen where you use Disk Utility to format the new drive then click resort to put everything back on he new drive... OS and all.

The only advantage to the "clone" route is you can actually boot to that disk and operate the computer, where the TM restore disk actually needs a new disk to restore to to use the machine again.

BrentMc

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 20, 2014
iMac Image of Hard Drive

Thanks Weaselboy! I'm just going to give the whole drive to Time machine.

I'm sorry I didn't read more about time machine more before posting. I thought time machine was more for backing up version of a changing file, not your system.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.