Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events

Old Jan 17, 2003, 04:16 PM   #1
medea
macrumors 68030

Apple silences iTunes P2P software

Apple Computer has forced a developer to stop distributing a plug-in that turned its iTunes music player into peer-to-peer music-sharing software.
The plug-in, called iCommune, allowed iTunes users to browse the music libraries of other Macintoshes over a network and stream or download music from them.
On Wednesday, Apple notified developer James Speth that he was violating the terms of his software agreement and ordered him to stop distributing the plug-in and to return Apple's development tools. Speth removed the iCommune download from his Web site.
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-981147.html
http://www.icommune.net/
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:08 PM   #2
amnesiac1984
macrumors 6502a

I don't get it, isn't this a feature that should be in itunes anyway? According to SJ @ MWNY 2002! Maybe this is why apple sent the cease and desist thingy! But why is it not in itunes already if this developer could do it himself? Maybe Apple have been approached by the RIAA and thats why the feature hasn't appeared yet!
amnesiac1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:29 PM   #3
Billicus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally posted by amnesiac1984
I don't get it, isn't this a feature that should be in itunes anyway? According to SJ @ MWNY 2002! Maybe this is why apple sent the cease and desist thingy! But why is it not in itunes already if this developer could do it himself? Maybe Apple have been approached by the RIAA and thats why the feature hasn't appeared yet!
Via Rendevous, but iCommune allowed users to download songs from other computers, not just browse. I think.
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:31 PM   #4
RBMaraman
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Are you refering to rendezvous support? That's going to be for sharing playlists, and not for the P2P exchange of songs. It will allow for you to access other people's playlists, but it won't allow you to downloaded their songs to your machine.
RBMaraman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:41 PM   #5
amnesiac1984
macrumors 6502a

seems a bit silly to restrict it but i guess its too keep the recording industry happy. Its the same deal with iPods, my mate got a 20 gig for christmas and he brought it over with about 2000 songs on it and I had to use a third party utilities to get the songs off and it took over an hour, which doesn't seem right, why couldn't apple make the mp3's appear in the finder or even just allow itunes to copy them? Its not like the ipod can be used for mass distribution of copied files.

anyway rant off for now
amnesiac1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 05:48 PM   #6
medea
macrumors 68030

Quote:
why couldn't apple make the mp3's appear in the finder or even just allow itunes to copy them? Its not like the ipod can be used for mass distribution of copied files.

anyway rant off for now
I agree with that, if the iPod is also supposed to act as a external HD then why not allow those files, wheter they are .mp3 or not, be transfered to another computer?
Solipsist's Creed:
Zero's company, one's a crowd.
medea is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2003, 06:53 PM   #7
pantagruel
macrumors regular

sounds like he went beyond what he had told Apple he had planned to do with the software, and now he had to return his developers tools! tahts sucks though, did this thing work on its own server or what, do the programs that people already downloaded still work? if so why didnt I hear about this earlier!
Old Jan 17, 2003, 08:45 PM   #8
alset
macrumors 65816

It hasn't been mentioned that Apple sent the cease and desist order because he violated rights to the iTunes API. The contract between Apple and developers allows hardware hacks only (ie MP3 players).

This has nothing to do with the RIAA.

Dan

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Current Events