Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Here's an actual battery usage screenshot from my iPhone 6. It also lists how much battery each app uses. Don't believe the stuff you hear without some evidence. I found even "professional" reviews to be highly subjective, all over the ballpark, and completely devoid of evidence on this when I was trying to decide whether to buy this. Suffice to say I'm getting about 3 more hours of use out of the iPhone 6 over my previous iPhone 5s. Roughly 10 hours continuous use on a full charge versus 7 (can easily last a whole day with hours of standby in between). That's quite an improvement considering my app usage pattern has not changed.

Love this new phone. If anybody else has their own screenshots, feel free to post so we can get a better idea of real battery use.

EDIT: Added a second screenshot which is my iPhone 5s battery usage for comparison. First screenshot is the iPhone 6.

Attachments

• IMG_0003.PNG
    IMG_0003.PNG
    123.3 KB · Views: 17,586
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    75.6 KB · Views: 9,303
Last edited:

nin7474

macrumors 6502
Mar 29, 2009
Battery Usage/Life Screenshots iPhone 6

Here's an actual battery usage screenshot from my iPhone 6. It also lists how much battery each app uses. Don't believe the stuff you hear without some evidence. I found even "professional" reviews to be highly subjective, all over the ballpark, and completely devoid of evidence on this when I was trying to decide whether to buy this. Suffice to say I'm getting about 3 more hours of use out of the iPhone 6 over my previous iPhone 5s. Roughly 10 hours continuous use on a full charge versus 7 (can easily last a whole day with hours of standby in between). That's quite an improvement considering my app usage pattern has not changed.

Love this new phone. If anybody else has their own screenshots, feel free to post so we can get a better idea of real battery use.

Nice!

jlake02

macrumors 68020
Nov 2, 2008
L.A.
Sooooo happy the 6 has better battery life. It's been my #1 complaint with iPhones since day 1.

:apple:

sjperformance

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2013
Miami 305
The battery life on the 6 is awesome. It's almost 7pm. Off charger since 6 am. Still 45% battery left without charging. Love it!

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Everything I could turn off - I did. Bluetooth, iCloud, Cell data for much of the day.

This was at 50% battery post a full charge.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.41.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.41.09 PM.png
    235.6 KB · Views: 5,750

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Turned off LTE again. I had no cell service where I was for much of my day. Wifi was off entirely.

Went from 50% to 17% in 2 hours. I couldn't get through even a portion of my day. Yes I did a clean install.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.44.12 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-09-20 at 6.44.12 PM.png
    215.8 KB · Views: 2,395

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
I just activated and start using it at 3 am

Very similar to my battery life. From your screenshot you'd be on track to get about 9.5 hours of usage on a full charge.

Turned off LTE again. I had no cell service where I was for much of my day. Wifi was off entirely.

Went from 50% to 17% in 2 hours. I couldn't get through even a portion of my day. Yes I did a clean install.

Hmm I wonder why yours is so much worse than ours. You can see from my screenshot my cell reception is even less bars than yours. I don't get the low signal thing on my apps though for some reason so maybe my reception is passable while yours gets really bad throughout the day.

I have both Bluetooth and Background Fetch turned off. Have you tried turning off background fetch? It's also weird how the settings app is your number one battery drainer. Wonder what happened there.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Damn you guys are getting good battery life. Mine is on track for 7-8 of usage with a single charge. Mainly web browsing, social media, and YouTube though. Playing lots of audio with the screen locked can skew the usage.

What's your guys brightness at?

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Damn you guys are getting good battery life. Mine is on track for 7-8 of usage with a single charge. Mainly web browsing, social media, and YouTube though. Playing lots of audio with the screen locked can skew the usage.

What's your guys brightness at?

I use the default auto brightness. I probably listen to at least 1 hour of audio podcasts so without it I'd probably get somewhere closer to 8-9 hours of use. The videos you watch probably account for the difference in our battery life. From the reviews I've read the videos seem to drain battery due to more pixels than the iPhone 5/5s.

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
I just activated and start using it at 3 amImage

My battery life looked exactly like yours but with more standby time. I listened to a couple hours of music and was still at 20% when I headed to bed. Had close to 8 hours usage and 15 hours standby. Decided to charge it up. Today will be my run down to 0% day.

Im pleased with the battery life so far. :D

leenak

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2011
I haven't charged my phone yet (got it Friday, it was nearly fully charged in the box), it is now at 25% battery life. The thing that tends to drain it the most is the crappy cellular reception at home. Saturdays are one of my heaviest use days so I figured that it was going to be drained this morning but it wasn't.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Mine's a 6 Plus but I'll just post it for my usage. So far I think it's great.

Attachments

• Plus Battery Life.png
    Plus Battery Life.png
    227.9 KB · Views: 7,041

meagain

macrumors 68030
Nov 18, 2006
Hmm I wonder why yours is so much worse than ours. You can see from my screenshot my cell reception is even less bars than yours. I don't get the low signal thing on my apps though for some reason so maybe my reception is passable while yours gets really bad throughout the day.

I have both Bluetooth and Background Fetch turned off. Have you tried turning off background fetch? It's also weird how the settings app is your number one battery drainer. Wonder what happened there.

I was at an event in the basement of the building and had sporadic service. Turned off wifi, turned off Cellular data for some of the day. I played with settings to make sure 'everything' except for necessary was turned off. Bluetooth, fetch, refresh, iCloud, everything. Something's just not right with mine I'm convinced.

It drained to dead in short order (before my eyes) and it's now charged up again overnight. I'm going to be at this event again today and hope I don't have to sit in my car charging after basically no use. Really want to know how the Pluses are faring with this cuz I may swap to it?

macbook-dan

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2011
Boston, MA
So far the battery performance has blown me away. I took the phone off the charger Saturday at 8:15am and write this Sunday at 8am, 24 hours later. The iPhone 6 still has 19% left.

I have used it pretty extensively too - recording several videos, taking photos, browsing, apps, calls, watching videos etc..

This is a HUGE improvement for vs the Nexus5 which I upgraded from. I am completely stoked!

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
I was at an event in the basement of the building and had sporadic service. Turned off wifi, turned off Cellular data for some of the day. I played with settings to make sure 'everything' except for necessary was turned off. Bluetooth, fetch, refresh, iCloud, everything. Something's just not right with mine I'm convinced.

It drained to dead in short order (before my eyes) and it's now charged up again overnight. I'm going to be at this event again today and hope I don't have to sit in my car charging after basically no use. Really want to know how the Pluses are faring with this cuz I may swap to it?

I just posted my 6 Plus screenshot above. I think it's okay. It's still on the first charge. I charged it on Friday night, unplugged it at 10 PM and still great. But of course, it's still too early to tell.

dryice589

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
iPhone 6+ used it quite a bit yesterday. Location services running on all apps. Did nothing to optimize battery usage.

Attachments

• IMG_0004.jpg
    IMG_0004.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 20,669

cwazytech

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2009
Colorado
What should my expectations be?

i guess I don't know what my expectations should be. I do upgrade iPhones frequently and the battery updates are just modest. Going from a 5s to a 6 I wonder if mine is okay even though I feel it drains a bit fast. I can't seem to upload a screen shot but here are my current stats for my iPhone 6.

Battery: 24%
Usage: 7 hours, 30 minutes
Standby: 1 day, 12 hours
Safari: 32%
Used safari quite a bit. Then just the music, video, and facebook app here and there.

Is this good?

tubbymac

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 6, 2008
Mine's a 6 Plus but I'll just post it for my usage. So far I think it's great.

Wow! That's on track for 16 hours of battery life on a full drain. Your battery life is insanely good. I'm envious of your Plus model. What's more impressive is that a lot of your apps are games. Games would drain my previous iPhone 5s pretty fast. I do my gaming on my iPad Mini Retina - and I think your iPhone 6 Plus would probably last longer. That's crazy impressive!

I played with settings to make sure 'everything' except for necessary was turned off. Bluetooth, fetch, refresh, iCloud, everything. Something's just not right with mine I'm convinced.

Really want to know how the Pluses are faring with this cuz I may swap to it?

For the money you paid I would not keep that phone if such terrible battery life persists. Sounds like you already tried all the battery saving tricks and even a clean install and nothing fixed it. My suggestion is to definitely return it within your return window as it seems defective. That would reset your trial period and then you could either buy a new iPhone 6 without the problem, or buy the Plus as it has even more battery life.

This is a HUGE improvement for vs the Nexus5 which I upgraded from. I am completely stoked!

If the Nexus 5 is anything like the Nexus 4 I have, battery life was pretty terrible.

iPhone 6+ used it quite a bit yesterday. Location services running on all apps. Did nothing to optimize battery usage.

That's pretty good. You could squeeze probably an hour or two more by turning off things like background fetch.

I can't seem to upload a screen shot but here are my current stats for my iPhone 6.

Battery: 24%
Usage: 7 hours, 30 minutes
Standby: 1 day, 12 hours
Safari: 32%
Used safari quite a bit. Then just the music, video, and facebook app here and there.

Is this good?

That is really good. You're similar to mine and are on pace for about 9.5-10 hours of battery life on a full drain. I couldn't upload a screenshot on my iPhone 6 either. For some reason Macrumors attachment wouldn't work with my phone. I had to email it to myself and then use my Macbook to upload it.

Mindbender14

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Like I posted above today was my full drain day. I had to work really hard to drain the sucker. More music than I will ever listen to usually, screen at full brightness and I used it for my web browsing instead of my ipad. Finally had to charge at 8pm. 12 hour day.

Tomorrow I'll check the standby and usage times. I did buy a car charger for this but don't think I'll need it for short trips if this keeps up. :)

Happy so far.

Tezzdev

macrumors newbie
Mar 11, 2014
Wow. I was at 40% with about 3 hours of usage? All I did was text, snapchat, and use reddit a bit. Always on wifi and brightness is at about half. Pretty weird.

im-MAC-ulate

macrumors member
Oct 3, 2011
Speaking of screenshots. How do u take a screenshot on the 6?! I tried pressing power+home and it doesn't work for me lol

powerstrokin

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2013
Here's mine. Pretty awesome compared to what I was getting out of my iPhone 5, but I rarely if ever let anything get this low. I did let the phone die maybe twenty minutes after this screenshot and then charged it up.

Attachments

• 2014-09-20 17.14.28.png
    2014-09-20 17.14.28.png
    122.9 KB · Views: 19,959
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.