Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
On iPhone 6 Plus, go to the home screen, pull down spotlight and rotate your device. Does it lag and drop frames? Safari doesn't lag as much when you rotate the phone. Need more RAM!

Facebook, when you add photos with iPhone 6 Plus, it shows 2 and a partial thumbnail of your photos. Is it the same on iPhone 6?

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's kind of lazy to blame it on RAM. Most likely the issue will be fixed with a software update. It's not like rotating the screen in that scenario suddenly pushes the phone beyond its limits.

coolfilmaker

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2012
I hope it's just software bugs. It's hard to believe they would have made the phone this buggy just to save a few dollars.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
iOS 8 is just buggy overall, and I've noticed it's even buggier on these new devices.

Control Center is very hit and miss when trying to access it on my 6+.

insane08

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2014
iOS 8 is just buggy overall, and I've noticed it's even buggier on these new devices.

Control center has been fine on my 6. I’ve noticed a few other people complaining about the lag on a 6+ as well. Hopefully it is just software issues.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I don't have too many lag issues on my 6 Plus, but can't say there are not any. one thing I have noticed, although my signal strength for LTE is not any stronger, it sure does not lose it like my 5S. It locks into it really well on the 6 Plus.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012

The landscape keyboard in Spotlight came up offset to the left and down with missing extra side keys once.

I've had the camera app start freezing on me. It was unable to start video mode, so I closed the app from the switcher. When it reloaded, photo mode did start and the app froze with a black screen. I guess it was swapping or freeing memory. A couple of minutes later after checking other apps, it starting working without having to kill the app.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I don't see any major lag issues on my 6 Plus. But I'm coming from an Android phone so everything just seems super smooth in comparison.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Zoomed mode on iPhone 6 Plus feels faster. The animations and transitions when switching apps or going to tabs in portrait mode are quicker. It has less points to render at 3x in zoomed mode. More RAM needed.

Lictor

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2008
Things are not always that simple and blaming the hardware is not always the answer...

Remember the MacBook Retina 13" ? When people discovered that scrolling was not smooth in Safari, everyone blame the Intel GPU, that was not fast enough for so many pixels...
Turned out that the Intel GPU was fine and that performing a task as simple as scrolling, even with a bunch of pixels, was not a problem. The problem was actually with Safari that was mostly single-threaded. When it was updated to be more multi-threaded, the problem was mostly gone...

The 6+ behaves like a MacBook Retina: graphic rendering is done at a resolution that is much higher than the actual resolution of the device and then it is scaled down. That's a *lot* of pixels to move around. The problem might not be RAM or CPU but simply that CoreAnimation or something is not efficient enough. And so, the solution might be pure software.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
I don't think it's the hardware. My 6 can even have glitchy UI.

Yeah, mine does stutter in this particular case as well (although in subsequent rotations it speeds up), but I don't think it's the hardware. Would be very surprised if this were not just "simple" optimization that will be fixed in an upcoming iOS update. There's a million different corners of iOS, then combine that with all the various combinations of overlay views and orientations, there's bound to be some things that got missed or they just haven't had time to get to yet. If the hardware can handle Zen Garden, I think it can handle rotating a blurred home screen, I'm not worried about it.

iphone5att64

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 19, 2012
Sometimes the 6 Plus is lagging really hard. :(

I hope it's a software issue.

Copy and paste is broken.

I started a reply to this thread on my 6 Plus and switched tabs to copy a link. I copied first with the share button. When I return to the forum tab, it reloads so any text is lost. I paste and it pastes an order number I copied earlier.

I try again and same result. Then I try copying the address from the address bar. I paste it back in the address bar to confirm. When I return to the forum tab, it reloads and pastes the order number again.

This is not the first time I've noticed this.

I request the desktop site for MacRumors forums by the way.

I tried copying again and pasting in another tab and it pastes the correct link. When I come back to the forum tab, it pastes the order number. It's as if reloading the tab, reloads the clipboard. Either that or this forum's WYSIWYG editor has access to the clipboard. Need more RAM!

I tested again in another tab. When I paste in the address bar, it pastes the link, but when I focus a text box on the web page, it pastes the order number.

Last edited:

apb89

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2012
I love my 6 Plus, that being said I have noticed performance issues since I got it. In general, I notice that the accelerometerseems to be off at times, not fully recognizing what orientation I have the device in.

I also notice safari/many other apps refresh after a short period of time, ultimately destroying the 'illusion' of multi-tasking that iOS used to be so good at.

I did the pull down of spotlight and rotated my device like the OP said, and I also got sluggishness and lag there.

Also, in games, I have noticed lag-delay/stutter when I receive a text message and the subsequent notification pops up.

In general, I have blamed all of this on the low (1gb) of ram in the device. I really hope, along with many others I have seen commenting, that this is only a software 'kink' and it will be worked out.

Hot12345

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2015
Got my 6+ and have not noticed a thing but how I love it

I see that the iphone 6 plus has RAM issues, because its stutters and lags. Anyone here also the same problem?

If you open safari and have 5 to 9 tabs of links, press on the tab switcher, you see stutter, lag

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
The browser tab and app reloading issue is due to a lack of RAM, no question. The lag and occasional screen freezing I'm not so sure about. It could be hardware - something to do with scaling or the flash memory, or it could be iOS8. If it is a software issue then Apple need to fix it ASAP. We're halfway through this product's life cycle already! Why should we have to limp along with a poorly functioning phone for most of the period we own it? That's shoddy. We have to remember also that this is Apple's first 'phablet' and they have probably rushed it to market. The CPU/GPU and RAM should all have been enhanced over the 4.7" iPhone 6 and they haven't been. In my opinion this device is a bit of a lemon, like the iPad 3. Early adopters pay the price sadly.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
I will easily take the Plus over the android news today and trust I have plenty of devices on that OS.

If folks were not happy with the performance with the Plus why in the world did you keep it? I certainly would have returned it.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
I will easily take the Plus over the android news today and trust I have plenty of devices on that OS.

If folks were not happy with the performance with the Plus why in the world did you keep it? I certainly would have returned it.

If I hadn't already given my iPhone 5 to my father the day my 6+ arrived, then I would have sent it back within the 14 day cooling off period and returned to my i5. Silly me expecting the 6+ to be better in every respect than the two years older i5.
Due to all the purchased apps I have and the 'ecosystem', it isn't quite so straightforward as to ditch my £700 phone and buy an Android one. I had strongly considered the Note 4 once the iPhone 6 specs had been released but I didn't like it when I went to try one out. Nor did I like the Nexus 6. So I figured that the 6+ would surely be no worse than my iPhone 5...
I certainly shan't be keeping it beyond 12 months though. Apple let me down with this one, and it almost cost the price of a MacBook so I'm not best pleased.

XTheLancerX

macrumors 68000
Aug 20, 2014
NY, USA
The browser tab and app reloading issue is due to a lack of RAM, no question. The lag and occasional screen freezing I'm not so sure about. It could be hardware - something to do with scaling or the flash memory, or it could be iOS8. If it is a software issue then Apple need to fix it ASAP. We're halfway through this product's life cycle already! Why should we have to limp along with a poorly functioning phone for most of the period we own it? That's shoddy. We have to remember also that this is Apple's first 'phablet' and they have probably rushed it to market. The CPU/GPU and RAM should all have been enhanced over the 4.7" iPhone 6 and they haven't been. In my opinion this device is a bit of a lemon, like the iPad 3. Early adopters pay the price sadly.

If Apple gave the iPhone 6 Plus a significant spec bump over the iPhone 6 (like if the 6 Plus got the triple-core A8X CPU clocked at 1.5GHz, octa-core GPU, and 2GB of RAM vs the iPhone 6 with the regular dual-core A8 CPU clocked at 1.4GHz, half the GPU cores, half the RAM) it would segment the companies flagships way too much. People who got the iPhone 6 Plus would get all the way to iOS 13 or something while the iPhone 6 would only get to iOS 11 or 12. You'd see apps that would support iPhone 6 Plus but not iPhone 6. So people who want a regular size phone would technically have to get a 1 year old device. If they want a device with more longevity, features, and power, they would HAVE to get a huge, more expensive, phablet. People would be really upset by that.

I'm already upset enough because of how the iPad mini is always given inferior specs, I would hate to see that start happening in Apples phones as well. I think the full size iPad is too big, plus it's a lot more expensive than the mini. Since I prefer the mini size I have to have all the good specs and such taken away from me, I hate that.

sunking101

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2013
If Apple gave the iPhone 6 Plus a significant spec bump over the iPhone 6 (like if the 6 Plus got the triple-core A8X CPU clocked at 1.5GHz, octa-core GPU, and 2GB of RAM vs the iPhone 6 with the regular dual-core A8 CPU clocked at 1.4GHz, half the GPU cores, half the RAM) it would segment the companies flagships way too much. People who got the iPhone 6 Plus would get all the way to iOS 13 or something while the iPhone 6 would only get to iOS 11 or 12. You'd see apps that would support iPhone 6 Plus but not iPhone 6. So people who want a regular size phone would technically have to get a 1 year old device. If they want a device with more longevity, features, and power, they would HAVE to get a huge, more expensive, phablet. People would be really upset by that.

I'm already upset enough because of how the iPad mini is always given inferior specs, I would hate to see that start happening in Apples phones as well. I think the full size iPad is too big, plus it's a lot more expensive than the mini. Since I prefer the mini size I have to have all the good specs and such taken away from me, I hate that.

That's a good point. I wasn't suggesting vastly better specs, just sufficient to make the phones run comparatively similarly in terms of performance. As things stand, the i6 is smoother than the 6+ and it also reloads browser tabs and apps less. If anything the 6+ should perform better than the i6, not the other way around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.