Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Not sure if this has been done yet, but I decided to dig up the Kill-A-Watt and take some measurements. Both chargers had a readout of 0.0 watts when plugged in with nothing but the cable attached to them. Both photos taken with an iPhone 6 Plus while being charged. See attached images.

Attachments

• IMG_3820.jpg
    IMG_3820.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 10,570
  • IMG_3821.jpg
    IMG_3821.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7,813

Texxy

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2011
Not sure if this has been done yet, but I decided to dig up the Kill-A-Watt and take some measurements. Both chargers had a readout of 0.0 watts when plugged in with nothing but the cable attached to them. Both photos taken with an iPhone 6 Plus while being charged. See attached images.

Do you think using the iPad Air charger on the 6+ is a good idea or a bad one?

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
Yep, the iphone 6 is capable of now utilizing a 12w charger and charge the battery faster. I noticed that last night with my Plus. Was down to 35% charge, plugged it into my 12W charger, and fully charge in less than 2 hours.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
It's the same its just one would charge faster, that's all. Should be all compatible. I usually use my iPad charger on all my iPhones.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Do you think using the iPad Air charger on the 6+ is a good idea or a bad one?

Modern lithium batteries are pretty good at handling a faster charge without damaging them. The only issue I can potentially see is if you're using a 12watt charger AND doing something intensive on the phone, it could result in quite a bit of heat. Which lithium batteries don't like too much.

Advil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2008
oh nice that means a 6 plus can take a 2 amp charger and charge faster then?

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
oh nice that means a 6 plus can take a 2 amp charger and charge faster then?

Correct, damn near twice as fast for that matter. I'm waiting for my phone to drain a bit more before charging it. My gut feeling is that heat won't be an issue unless I'm simultaneously using the phone too, but I'll find out by tonight.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Yep, the iphone 6 is capable of now utilizing a 12w charger and charge the battery faster. I noticed that last night with my Plus. Was down to 35% charge, plugged it into my 12W charger, and fully charge in less than 2 hours.
This. Unlike earlier iPhones (which could be used with higher-power chargers but would not charge faster), the new iPhones do charge faster with 12W iPad chargers. (My iPhone 6 was charging surprisingly slowly with the standard 5W one.)

Further confirmation: http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/ne...s-support-2.1a-charging-ship-with-1a-adapters

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
Did some more testing... Charged my 6 Plus with the 12 watt charger, as the battery got closer to 100% the charge rate started slowly dropping, but the phone maintained a draw greater than the 5 watt charger is capable of providing up until it hit 90% where it dropped to 6.5 watts of draw (from the wall) same as the 5 watt charger it comes with.

There's definitely significant time to be saved using a higher capacity charger, and the phone only got luke warm, no excessive heat at all. a 6 may get a little warmer but I don't suspect it would be an issue there either.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Yes, even the 5, 5c, and 5s work great with the 12w.

But only the 6 & the 6 Plus can charge faster than the 'out of the box' 5W charger yes?

So if I stuck my 5S on charge using my 12W Apple charger (which I do), it wouldn't charge any faster than charging it with the supplied 5W wall plug yes?

But using the same 12W Apple charger to charge my 6 Plus will charge it faster than the one that comes in the box?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Oh damnit, I just posted about this. You did some far more scientific testing! I guess it's settled; the iPhone 6 can utilize an iPad charger for faster charging. :)

Now I have a reason to carry the slightly bulkier chargers when on the go!

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I've used the iPad charger for years on iPhones and never had a problem. They work fine and charge a lot quicker. No battery issues at all.

Apparently they don't charge any faster at all, due to the fact that it's the device (iPhone) that dictates what current is drawn from the charger.

So a 5S will only charge @ 5W, regardless of whether it's a 5W iPhone charger or a 10/12W iPad charger.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I should add...

If you're charging overnight on your nightstand, you should probably use a 1A charger there. After all, the phone has all night to charge, and I can see charging at 1A being less stressful on the battery and generating less heat.

But if you have to leave soon, forgot your phone is at 3%, and need to charge FAST, then that's the best time to use the 2A charger. :)

I have an iHome that does it one better; it charges at 500mA because it was meant for old-school iPods. So it charges really slowly, but it does finish by morning.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

Thank you.

I stocked up on a few 12W Apple chargers when they had their "Bring your 3rd party iPad charger in and buy a genuine (12W) one for £8" scheme running.

----------

I should add...

If you're charging overnight on your nightstand, you should probably use a 1A charger there. After all, the phone has all night to charge, and I can see charging at 1A being less stressful on the battery and generating less heat.

Good shout, thanks.

leesweet

macrumors demi-god
Feb 1, 2009
Northern Virginia, USA
Apparently they don't charge any faster at all, due to the fact that it's the device (iPhone) that dictates what current is drawn from the charger.

So a 5S will only charge @ 5W, regardless of whether it's a 5W iPhone charger or a 10/12W iPad charger.

I've seen my 5s charge a lot quicker using the iPad charger. If there's a real source for the 'can't take the charge any faster' claim, I'd like to see it.

Of course the device dictates how quick it charges. It's the same voltage just capable of more possible current. I'm an Electrical Engineer, I know how a fricking battery charger works :). We went through
all this when the iPads first came out. Apple says there's no problem but doesn't really tell you to do it. A higher current charger will give the battery all the charge it can handle (assuming the same voltage and they are).

Try it yourself. Charge either iPhone 5s or 6 from whatever level to 100% using both chargers and see how long it takes. It will not be the same time.

Last edited:

2IS

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jan 9, 2011
I've seen my 5s charge a lot quicker using the iPad charger. If there's a real source for the 'can't take the charge any faster' claim, I'd like to see it.

I'm draining my iPhone 5 now to try it out... Will post results, might not be until tomorrow since it's nearly at a full charge now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.