Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
Ram can tend to be an very ignorant discussion here on Macrumors. Lets clear it up a bit.

Compared to iPhone's competitors (android, google), Apple differentiates themselves by having full control over our own Chip -- The A8. Apple meticulously creates this chip to provide fine tuned synergy with iOS. THAT's why we don't need the massive specs, or the extra ram. All functionality of your iPhone is satisfied with the current hardware due to Apple being able to tailor the chip to OS's needs.

Take for instance android phones. Most of them use Qualcomm chips. Qualcomm is a chip manufacturer. Android Phone companies basically have to buy this chip, and then create their mobile OS around it (Which is the opposite way of how Apple does it). This can create bottlenecks in their Android OS, and doesn't let them get the most out of their hardware. They have to put MORE hardware specs in just to match the polished experience that iOS provides.

Let's do a little test. Lets look at the A7 -- the last iteration chip(iPhone 5/5s). Lets compare it to the Nexus 4 which had the snapdragon s4 pro.

So the iPhone 5's A7 chip ( Dual core, 1300 MHz, with 1gb ram) vs Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 Pro ( Quad core, 1500 MHz, with 2gb ram) -BIGGER SPECS AND MORE RAM

Here are the benchmark comparisons. The A7 was better in benchmarks.
sXhm2DD.jpg

Also, you can google this yourself. But compare the A7 to the chip in the Galaxy S5 and the benchmarks are pretty much on par with each other. Which is pretty awesome for the iPhone. Anyway, I hope this clears up why we don't need the extra ram.

So the next time an androider says "WE HAVE 2GB RAM!! HER DER" you just say, "yea you guys need it more than we do. " --then moonwalk away from them while maintaining strict eye contact.

TL;DR We tailor our own chip - we don't need the extra ram.

Last edited:

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
CPU benchmarks have nothing to do with ram. That's thread performance.

More ram would allow more apps loaded and more safari tabs open. That's why we want it.

It's pretty simple. Has nothing to do with android.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Sounds like the crap Jobs would spew out!
No need to make excuses....lack of ram is a real issue for heavy users.
Plus it's not like apps are getting smaller....

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
What do CPU benchmarks have anything to do with RAM??

Here's something that may surprise you: if you take 2 Core i7-3770 CPUS and installed them in 2 identical motherboards, one with 4GB of RAM and the other with 8GB, the CPU benchmarks will STILL be the same.

If you want to cite data to support a statement, at least make it relevant...

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Yeah, it's not like I can run things like Infinity Blade on only 1 measly GB of RAM!

Oh, wait....

Thats a very narrow focus of what people are saying.

Why cant I play infinity blade, switch to modify a Excel spreadsheet, look up some information in Safari, and then go back to Inifnity blade, all without any app reloaded and all within ~2 seconds? Its because of ram, not CPU power.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
You're overthinking it. It's called " profit margins". It will be a big feature in the 6S probably. Personally though, I couldn't care less because only have I experienced a noticeable RAMA bottleneck on my iPad Air.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
What do CPU benchmarks have anything to do with RAM??

If you want to cite data to support a statement, at least make it relevant...

Im sorry, that question is pretty silly. These benchmarks reflect the speed the CPU talks to the RAM.

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Im sorry, that question is pretty silly. These benchmarks reflect the speed the CPU talks to the RAM.

What are you on about? That still has nothing to do with RAM capacity. You're talking about data bus throughput. A CPU will "talk" to RAM at the same speed regardless of whether there's only 1GB or 3GB.

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
Thats a very narrow focus of what people are saying.

Why cant I play infinity blade, switch to modify a Excel spreadsheet, look up some information in Safari, and then go back to Inifnity blade, all without any app reloaded and all within ~2 seconds? Its because of ram, not CPU power.

Because this is a mobile device? Get yourself a MacPro if you need to do some serious computing. Either that or wait for the PADD to come out. I mean, this is still a phone you know. The fact that it can run these apps is a minor miracle. You want to run them all at the same time? For under a grand?

menist

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2010
California
No, the real reason is, the A8 chip has the CPU/GPU/1gb dedicated into one chip. As per Wiki and Ifixit. Apple would have to make the motherboard bigger if they want to add separate ram module.

sethlution

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2011
So you're showing us that the A7 beats a Qualcomm chip from 2-3 years ago, and that's proof we don't need more RAM? :rolleyes:

The 1GB RAM may be (barely) enough for now, but what will happen if/when they decide to bring that split-screen multitasking or any memory intensive new features in iOS 9? I usually don't mind this kind of thing because of the battery issue, but the 6 and 6 plus have great battery life so there's no more excuse to not put 2GB of RAM in it.

PS, I'm also experiencing more safari tab reload on iOS 8 than ever. Probably due to the new keyboards and today widget.

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Because this is a mobile device? Get yourself a MacPro if you need to do some serious computing. Either that or wait for the PADD to come out. I mean, this is still a phone you know. The fact that it can run these apps is a minor miracle. You want to run them all at the same time? For under a grand?

Yes. Because they only thing stopping them from doing so is ~$10 worth of RAM. Thats it. I dont care its a phone. It has the power.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Yeah, it's not like I can run things like Infinity Blade on only 1 measly GB of RAM!

Oh, wait....

That's not Ram intensive. Just like this thread , the point has been completely missed why Ram is an issue when not running one task ;)

Can't believe you tried to justify 1GB ram cause a device plays infinity blade....lol.

I think infinity blade ran on my iPhone 4 ;)

Kohkane

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2008
I feel like I'm the only heavy user where the app and tab reloading does not bother me at all.

Korican100

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 9, 2012
What are you on about? That still has nothing to do with RAM capacity. You're talking about data bus throughput. A CPU will "talk" to RAM at the same speed regardless of whether there's only 1GB or 3GB.

You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You are the reason people are blindingly asking for more ram.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
You benchmark tests don't support your RAM argument. Nice CPUs though eh ;)

PTLove

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
You obviously don't know what you are talking about. You are the reason people are blindingly asking for more ram.

No, hes correct. Geekbench is a Bandwidth / FPU heavy test that hits the memory subsystem / Int/FPU units of a CPU heavily, but use very little quantity of ram.

Elisha

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2006
Why is that benchmark testing a 2013 A7 vs a 2012 S4 Pro?
Is it cause they knew that the 2013 SD800 would have spanked it to today's standards?

IllIllIll

macrumors 65816
Oct 2, 2011
Then please educate all of us and explain why the bus speed between the CPU and RAM changes with how much addressable RAM is installed, and how this affects CPU benchmarks (especially Geekbench).

Sorry, you're not going to get away with just saying "you don't know what you're talking about" because this applies to you as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.