Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

poiihy

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Aug 22, 2014
If you could use Lion, Mountain Lion, or even Snow Leopard on your Mac, would you rather use one of those, or would you rather use the latest and greatest? Sure, Mavericks has all it's cool performance and efficiency improvements... But Lion (and Mountain Lion) work with older games and stuff that do not work with Mavericks.

So basically, do you like to use older OSes, do you like to use the latest stable releases, or do you like to use the absolute latest betas?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
If you could use Lion, Mountain Lion, or even Snow Leopard on your Mac, would you rather use one of those, or would you rather use the latest and greatest? Sure, Mavericks has all it's cool performance and efficiency improvements... But Lion (and Mountain Lion) work with older games and stuff that do not work with Mavericks.

So basically, do you like to use older OSes, do you like to use the latest stable releases, or do you like to use the absolute latest betas?

I like to use Snow Leopard because it is solid, reliable, efficient and fast on my system. It is also not bogged down by unnecessary extras. The only down-side is apps such as Safari are not updated for the older operating systems, so you need to use third party programs or upgrade.

However if you do upgrade the operating system you then need to upgrade third party software (usually at a cost) and this is a hassle unless you really need to.

Having said all that I have got Mavericks installed on an external drive for a couple of new programs and I am Beta testing the public version of Yosemite out of interest.

I will probably stick with SL until I buy a new mac (because it runs so well on my system) and certainly won't upgrade my current macbook as the battery life and performance will be impacted.

I also run Windows XP on bootcamp for the old PC games - old school!!!

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
If I were to have the option to re-program or rebuild OS X:

I would love Mavericks without those iCloud junks and Mission Control... Not even liking full screen apps - it's so bloody Windows... Messages would do fine, so as Notification without the Center... Would love the speed, stability, efficiency, and the UI of Snow Leopard. And revert back to the 2-year upgrade cycle. I missed the speedy SL Finder...

Only if I could... Sadly the Tim Cook - Jony Ive team destroyed everything... :mad:

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Count me in with the Snow Leopard crowd. I really like Spaces. I've used Mission Control a little, and don't see it as an improvement.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Ive been beta testing Yosemite for about 2 months now and I have to say its my favorite OS so far. I think you are going to be very pleased with it once its released.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
I have a late 2012 Mac Mini.

I use Mountain Lion 10.8.5 by choice, and have little interest in 10.9 or 10.10.

I will continue to use 10.8.5 until it no longer works for me.

I also have an April 2010 MacBook Pro on which I use 10.6.8 as my primary OS. It runs so well, that I have no plans to upgrade it further. (Aside: I do have a second partition on it, with 10.8.5 installed, but use it only occasionally)

As you may have surmised, I'm not an Apple fanbois who has-to-have "the latest and greatest" from the mothership...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.