Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hi guys,

I need to charge my iPhone 5s at least two times a day because of the heavy usage (location services on on everything, all notifications on, max brightness all the time etc) and I know quite a lot of people who have to do the same, so:

People who had to charge their 5s at least 2x a day, how has it been on your 6/6+ so far? Is one charge PLENTY enough or just-just?

The reason I'm asking is should I hold off for 6+ or just wait for the 6 (6+ is too big, but if the battery is good I'm willing to sacrifice for it). I have pre-ordered both late last friday (both arrive in 3-4 weeks).

Thanks

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
Hi guys,

I need to charge my iPhone 5s at least two times a day because of the heavy usage (location services on on everything, all notifications on, max brightness all the time etc) and I know quite a lot of people who have to do the same, so:

People who had to charge their 5s at least 2x a day, how has it been on your 6/6+ so far? Is one charge PLENTY enough or just-just?

The reason I'm asking is should I hold off for 6+ or just wait for the 6 (6+ is too big, but if the battery is good I'm willing to sacrifice for it). I have pre-ordered both late last friday (both arrive in 3-4 weeks).

Thanks

I had to charge my iPhone 5 3 times a freaking day! My Plus I received it Friday Morning, and its on the charger for the first time as we speak since i brought it home 2 days ago and I might add i haven't put it down in the last 2 days either.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
I had to charge my iPhone 5 3 times a freaking day! My Plus I received it Friday Morning, and its on the charger for the first time as we speak since i brought it home 2 days ago and I might add i haven't put it down in the last 2 days either.

After what sort of usage? I'm asking because I'm also interested in battery life and have ordered a 6+ on Apples website. My current iPhone 5s gives me a day on a full charge, I use my phone for listening to music while commuting to and from university. Facebook, Twitter, txt message emails and on occasions a phone call or two.

msb3079

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2010
collingswood. nj
I think it's crazy that people consider the 6 Plus just because of a better battery.

Anyway.. I have the 6, as I think the 6 Plus is absolutely absurd. I laughed when I picked it up. I even wish the 6 was a little smaller. 4.3" would be perfect. But anyway.. the battery is NOTICEABLY better. I recently had my 5 battery checked, and Apple said it was "good"... granted, I may have had a firmware issue with my 5.. but the 6 battery is a night and day difference. Lasted me all day and night yesterday with still a decent amount left over. With my 5, I was struggling to get a solid HALF day.

Sh4wN

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2012
If battery life is crucial, go with the 6+. The regular 6 won't give you much more battery, the plus will.

Oktobermagic

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
New Jersey
I think it's crazy that people consider the 6 Plus just because of a better battery.

Anyway.. I have the 6, as I think the 6 Plus is absolutely absurd. I laughed when I picked it up. I even wish the 6 was a little smaller. 4.3" would be perfect. But anyway.. the battery is NOTICEABLY better. I recently had my 5 battery checked, and Apple said it was "good"... granted, I may have had a firmware issue with my 5.. but the 6 battery is a night and day difference. Lasted me all day and night yesterday with still a decent amount left over. With my 5, I was struggling to get a solid HALF day.

If you need the battery life me that's your number one priority, the why not consider the plus?

I got one, not just for the battery life, but I easliy get a day "plus" out of it. And that's fairly heavy use the past couple of days.

Inframan

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2013
Los Angeles, California
After what sort of usage? I'm asking because I'm also interested in battery life and have ordered a 6+ on Apples website. My current iPhone 5s gives me a day on a full charge, I use my phone for listening to music while commuting to and from university. Facebook, Twitter, txt message emails and on occasions a phone call or two.

I used it a lot, at least for 12 hours total off and on for the last two days. Its really basic math, there is only so many milli-Amp hours you can pack into a battery. The 6 Plus, contain a humongous 2915 mAH battery, the iPhone 6 has a 1810 mAH rated battery. This is still an improvement over the ~1500 mAh battery in the iPhone 5s, but the 6 is roughly inline with the 5s and although the 6 plus has a bigger screen it really will not effect the battery life. As for the internal components, the plus is the same as the 6 with the exception of the camera being better in the Plus because it has the Continuous autofocus. So needless to say, the Plus will last you about twice as long with a single charge as the 6.

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK

If 5s gives you a full day currently, I don't see why would you consider battery life when choosing 6 or 6+, IMO.

Yeah, I laughed too. I even saw one guy next to me in the Apple Store drop it on the table because he couldn't grab it, it was so big. 6 is not even perfect for me (I'm 6'6" with quite big hands) because the power button is too high… I'm not even speaking 6+. That stuff should be an inch lower.

GeyservilleMan

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Geyserville
IPhone 6 Battery Issues. Losses from 1 to 5 % every 5 minutes

Started this morning again with this battery drain on the IPhone 6 very disappointing. I guess it will be a call to Apple Support to figure out what else can be turned off. It seems to be the "Music" but don't see anything that can be done about it.:(

PhoenixMac

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2010
You have to use the 6+ for more than 5 mins to really appreciate the size,i was unsure on which model I wanted so I bought both with ful intention of returning the +, I ended up keeping the plus because it is so nice. Either way you won't be disappointed

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
If 5s gives you a full day currently, I don't see why would you consider battery life when choosing 6 or 6+, IMO.

Yeah, I laughed too. I even saw one guy next to me in the Apple Store drop it on the table because he couldn't grab it, it was so big. 6 is not even perfect for me (I'm 6'6" with quite big hands) because the power button is too high… I'm not even speaking 6+. That stuff should be an inch lower.

It's by far not the only reason, I just wondered what the battery life is like. After going into an Apple Store yesterday and playing around with both the 6 and the 6+ for about 45 minutes, I really like the 6+ i can txt one handed, and the screen size is very useful for a number of different things. So I came home and ordered one (because they didn't have any in stock).

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
You have to use the 6+ for more than 5 mins to really appreciate the size,i was unsure on which model I wanted so I bought both with ful intention of returning the +, I ended up keeping the plus because it is so nice. Either way you won't be disappointed

Yeah, but it's just not convenient. For 1 hand usage that is. You can't press the power button without seriously jiggling the iPhone in your hand. Same with NC, you can't pull it down without doing that, you need to jiggle it down and then up. Also, I never ever would use it in landscape, so half of the features are not even compelling to me. Also, the OIS - not necessary for me. And yeah, you don't really need to use the iPhone for more than 5minutes to see the flaws.

If you treat it like a small iPad - it's perfect, for sure. If I'd need an iPhone that would replace my iPad - 6+ would be no brainer. I'm probably going to keep the 1st one that comes. Ironically, that is going to be 6+ probably, LOL.

Last edited:

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Nov 15, 2012
I only charge my 5s once a day and that's a 1 year old phone. The 6+ is holding well right now just like a fresh iphone does.

Altimax98

macrumors 6502
Mar 26, 2012
Lakeland Fl
One thing to keep in mind is that the battery in the + is only rated at 1-2hrs of usage more than the 6. (Screen on time) The bulk of the difference comes from standby times that are fantastic. The 5.5" screen will be a massive sink for battery especially on full brightness. So if you really are a massive power user like some people you may not see as dramatic gains.

That being said the + is the only way to go in this instance.

sprungson

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
Silicon Valley

Hmm. It's subjective. I'm 5"11' with small hands and the 6+ is perfect for me. I guess I could laugh at how small your iPhone 6 is and we are even. Hehe

M0esmac

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 25, 2012
UK
Hmm. It's subjective. I'm 5"11' with small hands and the 6+ is perfect for me. I guess I could laugh at how small your iPhone 6 is and we are even. Hehe

For one hand usage, 6+ is perfect? Something is not right.

bisnicks

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2011
If battery life is crucial, go with the 6+. The regular 6 won't give you much more battery, the plus will.

Coming from an iPhone 5 I disagree. Sure it won't be quite as good as the 6+ but I went from charging 2-3 times a day to 1 time every day and a half to 2 days now with my iPhone 6.

barbourdg

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2002
dallas
For one hand usage, 6+ is perfect? Something is not right.

You have to use it for more then a few minutes or hour to get used to it. By day two I was totally use to the size. I haven't found anything I can't do one handed. My wife is little and petite, and hasn't had any issues and absolutely loves it. It took her about one day to get used to the larger screen.

Far as charging, I am still on my full charge from Friday morning using the Plus. Battery life is incredible on the plus.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Coming off a Nexus device, the iPhone battery is spectacular. I will admit the 6 battery life is certainly par for the course, which is not that bad, honestly. Easily the best phone of its size that doesn't specifically have a giant battery.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Hi guys,

Thanks

My iPhone 6 certainly hasn't been as good as I was hoping, but I'm seeing it was some improvement I guess.
My iPhone 5S was giving me 4-5 hours usage.
I'm a no-more-than-50% brightness kinda guy. I usually have auto switched on, but often adjust brightness down manually.

Usage times from my 6 so far:

Day 1, received at 70%, plugged it in to laptop straight away and set it up. After that:
Usage: 5:33
Standby: 6:22
Mostly off-wifi.

Charged back up to 100% that night, unplugged before bed:
Usage: 7:27
Standby: 14:24
Mostly WiFi, no more than an hour of cellular use.

Yesterday evening/today:
Usage: 6:26
Standby: 17:08

Tomorrow will be my true test, at work. Usually have to charge it before 5pm, after arriving at 9:30 and using it a little before work, GPS on the way, and using it during the day.

robertopod1968

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2013

What looks more ridiculous to me is someone with a tiny 4" phone shoved up against there face while the try to tap those little bitty icons or keyboard. If they were still just phones then sure I'd want a smaller one. Apple and millions of people have realized this and that's why the tiny size is going away.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.