Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

styymy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Cropped screen
I updated my 3rd gen Apple TV yesterday after about 45 minutes of downloading and restarting, my screen display is cropped to about 23"x15" of my 46" screen tv. Everything was fine before I did the update.

At one point the remote was responsive and I could scroll downward through the apps but not to the right. I hoped I could find "settings" and possibly restore to factory default or something. At this point however, the remote is now unresponsive and I am unable to scroll at all. Its as if its just a fixed image I'm looking at on the tv.

Black screen
When the Apple TV wakes sleep from sleep-mode, the screen is completely black and unresponsive to the remote. The only way to get it back to the cropped screen is to unplug the power and hdmi cable connected to the Apple tv wait a minute or two and reconnect.

Any help would be appreciated!

You can see my issue here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20782310/appletv.jpg

The Giver

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2013
cropping after update

Greetings, I updated my Apple TV this morning and while I'm not having all of your problems I am having the cropping that you speak of. Only about 1/3 of the picture shows in the top left of my tv, everything else is black where the rest of the picture should be filled in. I've spent the last 2 hours trying to figure it out and I'm completely up against a wall on this one.

Don
Lorain, Ohio

styymy

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2014
USA
Cropping fixed

I was able to remedy the issue. I had to restore the Apple TV to factory default and then update to the current OS.

I connected my Apple TV to my MacbookPro with a micro-USB cable. To do the restore, you have to load iTunes, make sure you have the current version of iTunes.

Apple Support provides detail instructions here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4367?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

Additional note:
The black screen was fixed, but I still had the cropping issue after the restore. Oddly to fix that, I plugged my MacBook into my tv's hdmi and saw that the tv wanted to use the lowest screen resolution/dpi setting to display my desktop on the screen for some reason.

I changed my display resolution to the highest on the Macbook which then changed the desktop display on the tv to the highest setting.

I then unplugged the MacBook from the tv and plugged the Apple TV back in and this for some reason, the Apple TV picked up the correct screen resolution and I was back to full screen again.

(you could possibly skip the restore part, since I figured out the cropping fix after I did the restore).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.